NO Sound - iRiver H140 / iBasso D10 via optical - HELP!
Jan 21, 2010 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

DDW

100+ Head-Fier
Maybe I am stupid???

I have tested and can play the iRiver H140 directly through head/earphones - so that works.

I have tested and can play iPod source through Aux in jack on iBasso, that works.

And I have tested and can play computer source through USB jack on iBasso D10, that works too.

But, I just dropped a lot of money to get a nice small optical cable to connect my H140 to the D10, but NO SOUND (?????)

Am I doing something wrong?

I checked the obvious things: D10 turned on and volume high enough, H140 on and playing (confirmed by plugging into H140 headphone jack), solid connections (as best I can tell) on both sides of optical connection and headphone jacks....

I sort of assumed it would just plug and play through the optical connector.

The only thing I can think of is maybe some sort of optical out "Setting" on the H140, but I checked the manual and can't find any special setting info for optical source. Again, I would have thought it would just plug and play anyway.

The only other thing I can think of is there might something wrong with either my optical out on the H140, optical in on the D10 or my new optical cable?

How do I test this?

I hope there is a simple solution/answer.

And I would greatly appreciate some help.

Thanks.

Jan 21, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #2 of 53
In the settings of the iRiver you must turn on the function of optical out.
Stock firmware: Menu -> Control -> Optical Out -> On
Rockbox: Settings -> Playback Settings -> Optical Output -> Yes
The optical out is active when there is a red led (see the photo below).

img6566y.jpg

Jan 21, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #3 of 53
Adding to what kayser has said: Before turning on the D10 you will need to plug the headphone into the D10, connect the iriver and turn it on. The D10 needs to see a signal on its optical in and a load on its headphone out on startup so that it can route the signal correctly.

Jan 21, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #4 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElEsido /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Adding to what kayser has said: Before turning on the D10 you will need to plug the headphone into the D10, connect the iriver and turn it on. The D10 needs to see a signal on its optical in and a load on its headphone out on startup so that it can route the signal correctly.

In lieu of using the headphone out on the D10 you can also have something plugged into the lineout (such as using an external amp or sending the D10 DAC ouput to a speaker system, etc. As long as you're sure you have optical coming in (red led...but don't fry your eyes) you may occasionally need to turn the D10 off and on again so it recognizes the input. Also, the volume control does nothing if you're using the lineout.

Jan 21, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #5 of 53
Well.......

Over the last few hours, I have confirmed "some" of my stupidity. Clearly I needed help and I greatly appreciate those who have added the HIGHLY needed "How to H140 with D10" tips.

I purchased the H140 refurbished. It came with a user manual on disc which I have been trying to understand, but either I am just that much more stupid than I have assumed (after thinking for so many years I wasn't) or iRiver's Manual and the H140 interface are both horrible.

I have read over and over to upgrade to Rockbox and I assume I will. But, I have a 90 day warranty on this "factory refurbished" iRiver and I want to make sure it works before I upgrade to Rockbox. If I understand correctly, upgrading to Rockbox might void my warranty (???).

In the end, I am MUCH more concerned about sound quality than interface. Otherwise, I would have stuck with my iPod Classic - which looks nicer, better build quality and better interface. But, from what I read, optical out of H140 to D10 seems to offer signficantly improved sound - so that is my goal.
I assume I will get to a point where the device is set up how I want and I can scroll through songs - hit play, or just shuffle and skip forward/back. Volume control on D10. I don't care about the record features, I rip with EAC on my computer and drag and drop files. (I hate iTunes - but that is another issue).

Anyway, enough with the background scenario stuff.

So, late last night, I logged on and saw kayser's post. Thanks kayser for posting and the initial help.

As it turns out, I did "NOT" have the optical out setting set to "On" prior late last night and receiving kayser's post. I had previously looked through the H140's menu options after the hassles of trying to figure out how to GET TO the menu options. But, I missed the optical out settings.
confused_face.gif

So, once I saw kayser's post and again hassled with figuring out how to get back to the Menu option, I was actually excited to see the Optical out setting set to off and changed it to On - thinking all would soon be good.......

After setting Optical Out to "On", I confirmed red light, hooked up Optical line and plugged everything in, but ..... still NO music.
confused.gif

I tinkered with the two units for a while and can't remember the different processes and connection orders I tried, but I couldn't get it to work.

I was frustrated and it was late - other rough stuff under my skin from yesterday as well, so I didn't post my results and further questions.

----------------

Today, I see ElEsido and wofen68 posts - Thank you guys as well for posting and your efforts in adding help.

Considering the failure from last night, I again was excited that there "might" be some other setting or process that might get things to work. Info needed to know - one way or another.

So, I go back through the process to make sure I have everything set up correctly and connect and turn on everything in the "correct order" - ......while standing on on right leg only, right arm out, head back, and left index finger touching my nose, ..... etc.

But, still no sound.
frown.gif
- Let me rephrase that: No music. I can hear the amp turn on and off as I have made sure my headphones are connected first.

So, I go through the checklist again:

- Start with D10 "Off"
- Turn on H140
- Confirm Optical Out setting for H140 turned "On" (reconfirmed multiple times)
- Confirm Red light coming out of H140 optical out port (Reconfirmed multiple times)
- Confirm optical mini to Toslink connector from Sys-Concepts connected snugly on both units

- I re-Confirm D10 is "OFF"
- I make sure H140 is "On" AND "playing" a music track.
- I confirm music is playing with headphones through H140 headphone out jack (yes - confirmed multiple times, but I don't leave headphones connected to H140)
- Make sure headphones are connected to D10
- THEN turn on D10

............. Still no music (although I can hear the amp turning on and off.

I have tried MANY times now and reconfirmed the process, but no luck with Optical connection. - The H140 works (plays music) with headphone out and the D10 works as Amp with Aux In and USB in.

-----------------------------------------

I don't yet completely understand what the problem is. But, I think I may have been able to confirm the H140 is fine and the D10 is most likely the problem.

The H140 using the "Mini" Optical connector has been a bit of a problem - and I don't know about original packaging, but my "refurbished" H140 did NOT come with a Mini to Toslink Optical cable or any optical cable.

However, I do have a Toslink to Toslink cable - Not sure where I got it (????).

I have a Pioneer Elite Reciever with a Toslink Optical/Digital in jack, but the SysConcept optical connector is "rigid" and fixed in it's small "U" shape with two 90 degree turns. It seems it would likely break if I tried to bend it and at $70 for that little cable, I wasn't about to possibly break it. I have been babying that cable. So, I can't use that cable to connect the H140's "Mini" to the Toslink connector on the Pioneer.

However, somehow it occured to me that a "light" signal might still be able to be picked up if just holding the cable lined up as close as possible. I honestly didn't expect it to work, but I connected my Toslink cable to my Pioneer and held the other Toslink connector as close to center as I could on my H140 and it played music!!!! - quite easily actually. The Toslink tip is much shorter than the Mini Optical tip and probably only goes into the H140's jack about 1/4 the way of the mini Optical connector - and is very loose with lots of move around room. But, it still worked VERY nicely. I even moved the Toslink cable connector inside the H140 to test how "forgiving" the signal was. It was quit forgiving and the Pioneer only lost signal if I removed the Toslink completely out of the H140's Optical out hole.

So, I connected the Toslink cable to the D10 and went through the start-up process holding the cable on the H140. But, still no music.

I confirmed that light was coming out nice and bright on the Toslink side of the cable while holding the cable - Yes.

Then I checked the custom Sysconcept cable with only plugging the Mini jack into the optical out of the H140 and checked light out-put on the Toslink side just to confirm nothing "visibly" wrong with the Sysconcept custom connector - It showed a nice bright light out of the Toslink end.

**** So, I "think" the H140 and Sysconcept cable must both work fine.

And I think there must be something wrong with the D10.

"Or", I suppose it "might" be possible "I" am still doing something wrong. However, with all of the instructions and all of my multiple attempts to "Correctly" connect and follow the correct start up procedure, I would HOPE I would be doing the start-up and connections correctly at this point
confused_face.gif
- I can get all of my other electronic devices to work just fine (??????)....

So again, at this point, I am starting to think there must be something wrong with the D10 - either the optical in connector on the D10, or an internal switch, or maybe the DAC itself.

The D10's Amp seems to work. As I have used it with iPod via Mini-to-Mini cable and with computer via USB cable.

-----------------

So, any other thoughts or advice?????

I appreciate all of the help so far. But, apparently I either still need more help or most likely I feel I will just need to contact iBasso at this point (????).

I figured I should ask here one more time before contacted iBasso.

--------------------

However, I am concerned if my iBasso D10 is covered by warranty or not since I purchased the D10 2nd hand from the Head-Fi forums.
frown.gif
confused.gif

I have the iBasso Warranty card and have plenty of time on the warranty (if applicable), but not the original purchase receipt.

--------------------------------------------

iBasso's website lists the warranty as:

iBasso products and accessories are to be free from malfunctions and defects in both materials and workmanship for one year from the date of purchase. Buyer should retain the original dated sales receipt or the warranty card. Proof of the date of purchase or the warranty card will be required with any request for warranty repair.

This warranty does not cover batteries, and is void when failure is due to: damage from water, modification/alteration, unauthorized service, misuse, abuse, use with incompatible accessories, or when failure occurs outside of the one year duration of this warranty.

-----------------

I don't see any mention of warranty "not" being transferrable (??????).

Is there a good person to contact at iBasso..... (??????)

I have already sunk a lot of money dedicated to this "Complete" iBasso D10 / iRiver H140 combo for the purpose of "Optical" usage including the high dollar optical cable and sure hope to get all of this working.

--------------------------------------------

Sorry for the long post. Just trying to detail/explain what I have tried to help narrow down possible issues.

Jan 22, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #6 of 53
It shouldn't be a problem. Just get in touch with iBasso or else get in touch with the person who sold this to you. Just make sure you didn't buy the faulty piece, no offence to the other head-fier.

Jan 22, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #7 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by vkvedam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It shouldn't be a problem. Just get in touch with iBasso or else get in touch with the person who sold this to you. Just make sure you didn't buy the faulty piece, no offence to the other head-fier.

Yeah.... I was thinking a little while after writing my post that I probably need to contact the seller "first" to make sure he didn't know about any issues.

I am not accussing the seller. He may have been using it like I have for the last few weeks with Aux input or USB input without using the Optical input (????). If so, he may not have known about any issues.

But, further, I need to "confirm" he hasn't modified the D10 in any way. His listing said he didn't. But, I think I should probably confirm before sending it back for any service.

I guess I have to assume any issues may not have been known about and no fault of the seller.

Jan 22, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #8 of 53
There was a problem with a few D10's not picking up on the optical in. Mine delayed picking up the digital optical in a few months ago and then after a month or so the problem went away but it could have just as well gotten worse and not picked up the digital signal in at all. What I found was that when it was not picking up the optical in right away it took maybe 30 seconds or so and then it would come on. My d10 is a little over a year old now.

Jan 22, 2010 at 7:13 AM Post #9 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There was a problem with a few D10's not picking up on the optical in. Mine delayed picking up the digital optical in a few months ago and then after a month or so the problem went away but it could have just as well gotten worse and not picked up the digital signal in at all. What I found was that when it was not picking up the optical in right away it took maybe 30 seconds or so and then it would come on. My d10 is a little over a year old now.

John,

Thanks for jumping in and the input.

I have had the setup on for the last 20 minutes testing your theory, but no go.

Plus, while writing my long post above, I think I probably had it on over 10 minutes multiple times while typing.

I can't beleive it would come on after that - regardless, that is just not reasonable time-frames.

This one has a warranty date of July 2009. So, not real old. The previous owner said he didn't use it much. And again, I don't know if he used the optical out or not.

I assume iBasso will work with me - I hope.....

But, assuming so, I guess I will have to pay for shipping to them and be without for a while.
frown.gif

Jan 22, 2010 at 9:31 AM Post #10 of 53
As you said there is no limitation in iBasso's warranty to the first seller. Just drop them a note that you have a faulty player and ask them about their repair and shipping policy.

Oh, and while you're at it: ask them to replace the faulty resistor which is described here: iBasso D10. Cobra Resistor Error « Madwolf. That should be considered a design error and should be covered by the warranty as well. (I own such a "faulty" player as well, but haven't asked iBasso yet.)

And maybe they willll throw in some nice silver headphone connectors (can't find the relevant post right now... it's somwhere in this forum). But that would probably cost you since it's not exactly a defect but more like an upgrade.

Jan 22, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #11 of 53
From your troubleshooting...I would be confident that it is the D10. If you really wish to clinch it, connect it to another optical source besides the iriver (such as a DVD player or the onboard optical out from your computer) and see if the D10 responds.

You should have no issues with return/repair...other than the wait.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElEsido /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, and while you're at it: ask them to replace the faulty resistor which is described here: iBasso D10. Cobra Resistor Error « Madwolf. That should be considered a design error and should be covered by the warranty as well. (I own such a "faulty" player as well, but haven't asked iBasso yet.)

To my understanding, this was refuted by ibasso and is not a design error after all.

Jan 22, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #12 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To my understanding, this was refuted by ibasso and is not a design error after all.

Really? Interesting. What is their rationale of the mismatched values?

Jan 22, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #13 of 53
Quote:

From your troubleshooting...I would be confident that it is the D10. If you really wish to clinch it, connect it to another optical source besides the iriver (such as a DVD player or the onboard optical out from your computer) and see if the D10 responds.

Yeah, I thought of that, but I don't have any other optical out sources.
frown.gif

But, based on how easily my test with the H140 with the incorrect Toslink optical cable connector (with lots of forgiveness in moving the cable around inside the H140 port) still worked so easily with my Pioneer, I felt reasonably safe to still convince myself it must be the D10 (?????)

Quote:

You should have no issues with return/repair...other than the wait.

Anyone have any feel or idea of what to expect on the wait?

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Il Mostro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? Interesting. What is their rationale of the mismatched values?

I would like to hear more about this as well. I saw the post with the mismatched resistors linked by ElEsido (thanks), but I could not find info about refuting the info.

I did see some various info suggesting corrections or improvements made to later production D10's.

Should I be at least asking them to check for certain errors or make certain updates/improvements/corrections, etc if I have it in their hands?

--------------

Side note and very strange:

I emailed the seller and without any accusations, but explained my issues.

He said he had "Specifically" and "exclusively" been using the D10 with his MacBook Pro and optical line out of laptop to optical line in "only" on the D10 without any problems.

He also confirmed no mods or alterations of any kind.

But, I feel I have tried most everything possible at this point. I have to assume something went out.
confused.gif
- And I don't know how or when.
confused_face(1).gif
- I have babied this D10 same as all of my electronics. And it was sufficiently packaged in shipping to me.

Jan 22, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #14 of 53
Go to a Mac store and try it out on a laptop with the optical out.

Jan 23, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #15 of 53
Try the iRiver/D10 with only headphones plugged in on the front and the optical toslink on the rear. No USB, no Coax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back