no one into pda-phones ?
Nov 8, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #16 of 34
If you ever get the mda or sda, or that line, be very careful of one major caveat. When it goes into standby or locked and you need to enter pin to use it, you won't be able to enter the phone keypad until you put in your pin. That means you can still pick up calls, but if it happens to be from some kind of machine and requires you to for example enter 1 to repeat or something, you can not do it until you unlock it. That somtimes is bad because if you dont enter your passpin and unlock it and the "machine" touchtone hangs up, you are out of luck. There really is no way around this, and if you dont have a password lock all the time and you drop your phone then you're screwed..

Nov 8, 2006 at 3:45 PM Post #17 of 34
I use a T-Mobile MDA and have no complaints on any aspect.

As a phone it gets great reception, and voice quality is a good as any I've heard. As an mp3 player it works well enough for my subway commutes with a 2gig mini-SD card installed. The occasional web access when I am away from a PC has saved the day more than once, with my choice of GPRS, Wi-Fi, or Bluetooth connectivity. I can even rip DVDs to WMA format for portable viewing. The slide-out keyboard is great for messaging or typing notes. MS Office & Adobe Acrobat in my pocket too! The 1.3 camera won't replace your digital SLR, but it does have a flash. Battery life is decent given everything that I use it for constantly all day long.

As a device of convenience the MDA excels, imo.
Quote:

Originally Posted by hYdrociTy
it goes into standby or locked and you need to enter pin to use it, you won't be able to enter the phone keypad until you put in your pin...There really is no way around this, and if you dont have a password lock all the time and you drop your phone then you're screwed..

I don't use a password or pin to lock my phone, so when the MDA does this (rarely) I just tap the [Unlock] button. No worries for me.

Nov 8, 2006 at 4:03 PM Post #18 of 34
You'd probably be looking at a Sony Ericsson P910 or P990.
The P910 has everything you want except a high resolution camera. The P990 comes with a 2MP camera. And it runs off Symbian so you can easily expand it. I had the P800 and loved it and never needed another PDA.

Nov 8, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by pds6
I own and love my 8700 Blackberry. Great phone and internet service.

It does absolutely NOTHING you are looking for:

(1) Touchscreen Penwriting Recognition - No, but it doesn't seem to work all that good on most pda's and not at all after the pda has been dropped (and it will);

(2) Very Good Stereo Headphone Jack: No, but does one exist for any pda;

(3) Limited Audio Recording Capability with Possibly Decent Results: No, but limited voice is possible on other pda's (I hope your not looking for high quality audio);

(4) Note Functions and Nice Writing Recognition: No, but you do understand that "nice" writing recognition is also a function of having a large enough screen. The smaller the screen (pocket sized phone), the harder the writing recognition; and,

(5) Nice Camera: No, but other pda's do have some nice cameras.

Godd Luck

i'm in the same boat as you, love it, does everything i need and a very good combo i might add

Nov 9, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by will75
I should specify. I'm speaking of the Treo 700's sound quality during phone use. YMMV but I'd say 19/20 Tech types working for a wireless co (that I have spoken with) agree. YMMV.

I definitely have to agree with you on that count. The Treo 700 was a horrible phone.

Nov 10, 2006 at 10:09 AM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by pds6
boodi sazz:

wez gav da dippa on da flippa

peaceout ..........

pds , some unuseful comments but welcome anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2006 at 10:23 AM Post #24 of 34
boodi says
Quote:

no one canadvice / disadvice the imate jamin ( qtek 200 ) ?

and
Quote:

pds , some unuseful comments but welcome anyway

English In - English Out

How is that for helpful!

Nov 29, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mm I'd have to buy anytime soon a pda phone which can cover some tasks , the most important are in order of importance :

. very good touchscreen penwriting recognition ( letters ? words ? sorry I'm very new into this )
. very good stereo headphone jack
. illimited audio recording capability with possibly decent results
. easy note-on-the-go functions , possibly paired with nice writing recognition

nice pictures camera ( 1.3 or 2 , possibly macro mode )

imate_jamin.gif

I've got an Imate Jamin and I'm loving it .
It does everything it should do and I was searching , and more .
Penwriting is definitely good and customizable - usable in a word .
Easy note on the go is what I was searching and it works definitely good in this regard .
Reception is good , audio ( for calls ) is not Nokia, but not bad at all. It is not a poor phone, at all .
Software is not slow , at all. Not slower then other pda/phones I've tried.
Camera is 2mp. Not a top notch Canon , but again usable , with some nice presets, to choose light conditions and modes, and sizes of the pictures. It has a macro mode too.
It has an audio record function. Still have to test if its capacity is only memory dependent or else.
The screen is very big , and colours are brilliant , it is as good as it can get on a small screen like this. Quite better then my Canon cam lcd.
The phone is very nice to keep in a hand ( I have big hands ) and it's not bulky feeling at all . The screen doesn't scratch easily, the phone falled from my hands in the car 2 times for sure the screen touched something during the fall but came out undamaged and unscrathed .

Gprs and internet works nicely, slow though - and definitely not cheap
tongue.gif
. Having internet in a hand and quite usable is quite incredible thing. I've used it to check gmails and for ebay too .

All in all I'd say It's very ease to work and friendly to use too. Maybe it's not the faster Pda on market , but not slow for my taste , and I'm using it alot really. Lot of functions and very customizable, still have to download some dedicated software I have in mind .

*2 negative notes
-it doesn't play nearly any of the avi/mpg files I've uploaded in, but I'll keep you posted as I get it working .
-the loudspeaker is not that good , but very useful when driving .

--------------------------------HOW DOES IT SOUND?---------------------------------

I still don't want to cuase a massive run of people going to buy an Imate Jamin because I'm waiting to get a 2,5 to 3,5 adaptor and to download a player with built-in equalizer , to test this little jewel with hp-2 - but the sound quality of this smartphone is yet really nice with stock buds , I'm using it daily as my routine flash player from when I got it ( 512mb now but I'm getting a 2 or 4 gb SD anytime soon )
- and I'm not that new into portables ..

My motorola ROKR sound definitely worse , and in this configuration yet the Jamin doesn't sound that much different quality from the Rio Karma .
The bass , it is nicely deep and defined ; overall sound definition and detail is good - surely better then what I could expect .

I've remained very pleasantly surprised .

More to come about sound .

Battery doesn't run out fast at all even with media player on for some hours the phone keep more then 48 hours of charge .

It recharge kind of fast , and very nice plus also when plugged to the laptop ( as an ipod ) .

Dec 2, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a PPC-6700 which is also made by HTC, and it's great. But as with any branded HTC phone it was loaded with crapware by the carrier (Sprint in this case).

No crapware on the Jamin that I've yet noticed .. just 2 games and some windows applications .

Dec 2, 2006 at 3:38 PM Post #28 of 34
You may want to look on Howard forums with your questions. They have a forum section on "which phone to get". I can only comment on my particular phone and I have never used the graffiti software, although I believe "grafitti anywhere" works with it.

Your needs are very different from mine, but the Treo 650 does everything I need and there are a lot of programs that may suit your needs (treocentral has tons of info for just about every use possible). I really like the blutooth because it connects to my vehicle and I can drive and talk without touching the phone. It works great as a phone from my perspective.

I use a program called Ptunes for music. It will allow me to play yahoo music DRM protected files, and for me, that is a huge advantage.

Dec 2, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #29 of 34
I have the 650 as well. I loaded up with helpful apps like a tip calculator, dictionary, media player, and of course a ton of games. There is also a program that will let me record phone calls to wav file on the memory card which is a pretty cool feature.

Dec 3, 2006 at 3:07 PM Post #30 of 34
I had a Treo 650 for two years and traded up to a Treo 700p in October. Both worked great for this old Palm V addict and all files converted. The 700p has proven itself an improvement in all ways and already is indespensible to me. With "Pocket Express" software subscription it's like having my office with me all the time. Both work as well as a phone as any stand alone cell phone I've ever owned. I don't use the Treo for music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back