No Livewires for me :(
Mar 31, 2010 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

fraggerz

100+ Head-Fier
My mum disapproves me getting ear impressions and LiveWire Trips even though i'm paying by myself.
frown.gif

She says there is no need for me to get them cuz i just got my RE0.

Any suggestions?

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #3 of 22
What kind of suggestions you looking for? Lol... Look on the bright side of things and enjoy your RE0s. Could be too early to get bitten by the buybuybuy bug. Save up even more and get something even better couple of months, years down the road!

Cheers~
L3000.gif

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by nycdoi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sell the re0 so there is a need to get livewire

haha, quite the idea.
but my mum will probably still say no.

i wanna get a iem thats as clear as re0 but with the isolation of a ear plug:p

btw...i tried re0 with comply tip but the sound degrades to a point that i cant stand it

Mar 31, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

i wanna get a iem thats as clear as re0 but with the isolation of a ear plug:p

sounds like an etymotic. cant get any more isolating than those

Mar 31, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #6 of 22
Funny I saw this thread as I'm just sending out some Livewire Trips with my ear impressions to Fisher audio today to have them re-molded!

Suggestions: Maybe the RE0 could meet up with some sort of "accident"?

Rent a PO box for a couple of months and rely on a little subterfuge?

Have any friends you can trust? Could they help?

Send your RE0 away and have them molded to customs? That would demonstrate the ability to compromise!
wink.gif
Good Luck!

Mar 31, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraggerz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My mum disapproves me getting ear impressions and LiveWire Trips even though i'm paying by myself.
frown.gif

She says there is no need for me to get them cuz i just got my RE0.

Any suggestions?

disapproves != banned
your money, your ears, your livewires

I say no more
wink.gif

Mar 31, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #8 of 22
Actually, while customs do isolate a bit more than the shallow-inserting IEMs, they still can't beat "Etymotic isolation". I'd definitely suggest getting the Etymotic ER4P (or ER4S if you have an amp) if you want amazing isolation and amazing clarity.

Apr 1, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonWho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, while customs do isolate a bit more than the shallow-inserting IEMs, they still can't beat "Etymotic isolation". I'd definitely suggest getting the Etymotic ER4P (or ER4S if you have an amp) if you want amazing isolation and amazing clarity.

I can confirm this, being priveledged to own ER4Ps, Livewires Duals and Recased JH13Pros. Although the isolation is slightly better I'll still likely eventually get a set of UM56 for the ER4Ps as it is the comfort issue, combined with almost-as-good isolation, that is the reason to get personalised IEMs IMHO.

Being a parent I can understand the need to have a say in something you don't understand your child is so fanatic about but I'd suggest that's more what's at stake here: understanding and involvement in the decision.

Try talking and explaining in calm detail, emphasising aspects she might see as beneficial - isolation means you don't blast your ears with excessive volume, don't annoy others around you, get a comfortable fit - like she appreciates when she finds one of those perfect pairs of shoes she appreciates
wink_face.gif
- etc. You probably know what might appeal to her in terms of safety, health, etc; the things she's had in her mind regarding you probably from birth. It could be a slow, gradual 'selling' job, but that's the task for you.

And at least you have the benefit of the RE0s to enjoy in the meantime. (Perhaps if you show yourself using them sensibly and she finds you so calmly relaxed with eyes closed smiling in enjoyment of the music...
popcorn.gif
)

Apr 1, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #10 of 22
i hope i can 'sell' that idea to my mum but i think it wont be easy.

btw.... how does Etymotic ER4P fair in terms of microphonics.
i'm a student and i spend at least 2 hours everyday in the bus and walking around so i'm rather conscious about how my iems will do when i am travelling

Apr 1, 2010 at 8:00 AM Post #11 of 22
Just saying, but what about trying to sell your current IEMs to fund the livewires ? That would make some kind of economic sense, plus it shows your mother how dedicated you are.

Just my 2 cents.

Apr 1, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #12 of 22
Just enjoy the RE0s.
Or just go forward with having impressions made and ordering Livewires, then apology to your mother when it is too late.
wink.gif

Apr 1, 2010 at 8:45 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or just go forward with having impressions made and ordering Livewires, then apology to your mother when it is too late.
wink.gif

I like that suggestion. just go ahead and do it. Audiologist wont ask you for a permission slip and neither will livewires
wink.gif
use your lives when your mums not and around and when she finally busts you just say sorry
biggrin.gif
and that its too late now :p

Apr 1, 2010 at 9:31 AM Post #15 of 22
I think your mum has the right idea - enjoy the RE0s for a little while. Whenever I get a new hobby I get excited and buy lots of stuff without taking the time to enjoy what I have.

I've done something similar to you, recently bought and am enjoying two very nice IEMs and I also have the urge to upgrade to customs, however I think I'll wait a year or so and just enjoy what I've bought. My M6s are already gathering dust and they don't deserve it - they're awesome earphones.

In a year or so I'll be making the leap I think, in the meantime I'll be watching the forums so I can make a good decision when I do.

I know it doesn't help when you want new stuff now, but it's ultimately more rewarding. You feel like you savoured your purchases and chose wisely when you upgraded, rather than bought heaps of stuff fast and hardly used most of it. I know because I do that a lot and it's very depressing at times.

All you other guys, stop whipping him into a consumer lust to validate your own high-priced gear addictions!
wink_face.gif
We need a rehab group in here or something..
ksc75smile.gif

From a more practical perspective, if you're as young as you seem to be, your ears might still be changing shape, which means your custom earphones will only fit for a little while. Of course I'm no expert and I don't know how old you are, so that may or not be valid.

Anyway, think about it, maybe use the time your mum has bought you to do some more research, or have a look at selling some kit to get a ER4P. Good luck..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back