No idea what I'm doing. Just got the Prodipe Pro 800 after lurking for a week. I hear some not-constant feedback in the headphones. Is that bad?
Jun 4, 2012 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

madog

New Head-Fier
Just wondering if it's normal for the first use, but I hear electrical feedback in the headphones so far after a couple hours of use.

No amp, just plugged into my laptop where I watch movies on a regular basis.

So far, it's an electrical tone or beep that can change slightly after sound is pushed through. For example, changing the volume on my laptop will cause it (the laptop noise is a static sound it makes for each level, just louder, but the beep or small tone I hear differs each time). Sometimes it will almost sound if my ears are ringing, but they are definitely not, and it will last for several seconds or until another sound gets pushed through.Possible it could be a lame laptop sound card coupled with fancy new headphones that make the sound audible where it wouldn't on my last set.

Again, I just got them delivered today (found them for $30 online), so I haven't had time to use them in a different device, but I just wanted to know if such headphones need to "warm up" with use (I have no idea if that's logical or not). Also, sorry if this is the wrong forum since I think they are some kind of full-size portable hybrid type.

Thank you guys for your time and all of the research that helped me purchase these.

Jun 6, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
could be the cheap headphones or the soundcard or interference somewhere

Cheap? :frowning2:

I know they aren't expensive, but from all of the (extremely) positive reviews for the rather unknown headphones from here and elsewhere, they seemed like a very great deal for someone like me. The only downside is that I didn't realize how large they are... I mean, I did, but I've never used ones of this size before so it didn't really click until I got them. While I've never been one to rock headphones in public, I definitely don't fit the bill for someone who can pull off full-size cans in public. No long hair or slick clothing with tats and rings. Just a bald head, a fat ass and some old clothes. But I digress...

Sorry I haven't replied in a few days (I'm sure the community has been on edge since), but I've been testing them out. And since I hate seeing threads asking questions with no answers I figured I'd come back.

On mobile devices, my stereo, laptop, everything I could find they function b-e-a-utifully. It just seems that a Mac laptop running Windows 7 (Boot Camp) with some default realtek audio drivers don't work too well. Then again, with even a soft volume I can't hear the feedback so it's either happens while sound is "idle" or is just subtle enough to be drowned out with out affecting the general quality. No other device caused the same feedback.

While testing out the headphones and listening to something with a little bass (I don't have a huge selection in that regard, but did have some Ronald Jenkees on hand) and tweaking the equalizer actually had the cans vibrating noticeably... not an an annoying way, but in a "I've never had headphones shake before whats-going-on". It still sounded clear enough to me at moderate volume, but I'm no audio master. Anyway, it's not something I regularly do. Mainly movies and music and the occasional video game while the wife and kid are asleep. With these I don't have to worry about my wife hearing any "bleeding" sound, and if the house is on fire and everyone is screaming I probably wouldn't hear them either.

They feel pretty damn sturdy, but I only have my previous generic JBL headphones from before as comparison. In that regard, I snapped one of the cans clean off the head support while adjusting them over my giant head. I don't feel like that is going to happen anytime soon with these guys unless I get overly aggressive.

Anyway, even though no one will ever see this, I'd like to thank the community for just being here and doing your thing. Lots of good info for schmucks like me to go through. Also, thanks to whomever did that top 100(?) headphone list that was stickied to the top of the forum. The info in there lead me to go around a bit more on random posts like this one and get more great info. I ended up finding them on some formerly unknown website (seemed to be a total ripoff of Amazon's layout, but after some investigation was legit). I'm not going to name-drop the site because that might be in bad taste, but the headphones were cheaper and had no tax and no shipping. Amazon had them for $129 list price, $36 current, and the site I found them had them for $30 flat out. Only reason I didn't get them from Amazon is because they didn't qualify for Prime.

I guess they're just a very old model or something, but me likes 'em.

Jun 7, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #5 of 7
If you look here it says he already broke them, and they only had 1 positive review. So I dont expect much, could be the cable?

Jun 9, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
If you look here it says he already broke them, and they only had 1 positive review. So I dont expect much, could be the cable?

You're right, I apologize that I couldn't afford a better pair of headphones. The main review I went off of was http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-102-portable-headphones-reviewed-panasonic-rp-htf600-added-04-29-12 (ctrl-f c28) along with a few others here and elsewhere. I ended up going through the chart at the bottom of his post and searching prices for those that "had the most green" (or otherwise the most consistent rating, very scientific of me :\ ) and available at the cheapest price.

Well into my rant above I discovered that the issue must be the default RealTek drivers for my laptop in Windows 7 in Boot Camp (not the provided Apple ones, as I did replace them with 'newer' RealTek ones, not sure if that's why). They do not produce the same weird effect on the same laptop in Mac OS X nor on any other device I have tested thus far.

I was just kind of freaking out about the issue before I got time to test them because I was otherwise very excited about my purchase :frowning2:

Jun 10, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

You're right, I apologize that I couldn't afford a better pair of headphones. The main review I went off of was http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-102-portable-headphones-reviewed-panasonic-rp-htf600-added-04-29-12 (ctrl-f c28) along with a few others here and elsewhere. I ended up going through the chart at the bottom of his post and searching prices for those that "had the most green" (or otherwise the most consistent rating, very scientific of me :\ ) and available at the cheapest price.

Well into my rant above I discovered that the issue must be the default RealTek drivers for my laptop in Windows 7 in Boot Camp (not the provided Apple ones, as I did replace them with 'newer' RealTek ones, not sure if that's why). They do not produce the same weird effect on the same laptop in Mac OS X nor on any other device I have tested thus far.

I was just kind of freaking out about the issue before I got time to test them because I was otherwise very excited about my purchase :frowning2:

weird is right, I'm not knocking your budget, but more often then not you do get what you pay for.... But in hifi you often get bad build quality even with big price tags. Anyway good luck finding the solution, I'm clueless

Users who are viewing this thread

Back