No difference between DAC1 and X-Fi Elite Pro
Jun 8, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #16 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma
Try making comparisons with the speaker then
biggrin.gif

Differences between sources are somewhat hard to spot at first =P

And by the way, for someone who does not speak english natively, your english is very very good.

I agree with this. I noticed quite the improvement with adding my DAC to my speakerrig some time ago. However, I might've been placeboed as I didn't do any ABX.

Jun 8, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #17 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Hyde
1 - I run the X-Fi bitperfect Audio Creation Mode 16/44.1, no hanky panky in Foobar (also 16/44,1 with no DSP used, kernel streaming)

2 - I use Coax

3 - What good will that do? I tried the headphone out of the DAC1 and found it thin/metallic (exaggerated of course, but you get my drift). There's clearly a difference between the DAC1 amp and the Sugden, the question is if the DAC section makes any audible difference.

Have you done any real a/bing, if that's possible without disconnecting too much (unless you can switch between outputs in the control panel which I think you can, and switching what headphone outs your headphones are connected to.) What type of interconnects are you using? They shouldn't make that much of a difference.

Jun 8, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #18 of 93
Quote:

1 - I run the X-Fi bitperfect Audio Creation Mode 16/44.1, no hanky panky in Foobar (also 16/44,1 with no DSP used, kernel streaming)

2 - I use Coax

3 - What good will that do? I tried the headphone out of the DAC1 and found it thin/metallic (exaggerated of course, but you get my drift). There's clearly a difference between the DAC1 amp and the Sugden, the question is if the DAC section makes any audible difference.

How long have you been into this hifi stuff? it takes a while for you to develop certain hearing abilities. Yes..you do have to learn how to listen when you first get into this hobby
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 8, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #19 of 93
My vote (a guess, in fact) goes to number 2. I have not heard the DAC-1, nor the X-fi, but there is a distinct possibility that inexpensive digital can be awfully good these days.

Regards,

L.

Jun 8, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #20 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert
How long have you been into this hifi stuff? it takes a while for you to develop certain hearing abilities. Yes..you do have to learn how to listen when you first get into this hobby
very_evil_smiley.gif

If Hyde can hear that difference between a Headmaster and a DAC1, then the hearing ability's probably just fine. The Sugden does sound smoother and warmer than the typical solid state headamp.

Jun 8, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #21 of 93
I know people who can hear difference or sonic signature of two $3K CD players. I can. I know many that can't. Nothing wrong about it.

But many will be able to, if you give them very high quality gear for long enough so they get used to the sound and start hear subtle nuances.

Listen for DAC1 a year or so, and then check again.

Jun 8, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #22 of 93
To Jagwire:

Maybe I don't understand what you mean, but the Sugden makes it possible to A/B directly, just switching the knob on the Sugden from input 1 to 2, I can A/B the DAC1 to the X-Fi. As I have stated: no difference to my ears, no matter how often I switch back and forth.

To Chesebert:

Well, as I have said, I'm no true audiophile, so when I have to "learn" how to hear differences, I guess this just isn't my hobby.
tongue.gif

Jun 8, 2006 at 8:08 PM Post #23 of 93
Quote:

To Jagwire:

Maybe I don't understand what you mean, but the Sugden makes it possible to A/B directly, just switching the knob on the Sugden from input 1 to 2, I can A/B the DAC1 to the X-Fi. As I have stated: no difference to my ears, no matter how often I switch back and forth.

To Chesebert:

Well, as I have said, I'm no true audiophile, so when I have to "learn" how to hear differences, I guess this just isn't my hobby.
tongue.gif

Sorry, didn't know the sugden was a switch.

Jun 8, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #24 of 93
Quote:

I've upgraded from an Audigy1 to Audigy2 to Audigy4 to X-Fi Elite Pro. I *thought* I heard a difference (of the good kind) between all of these. Couldn't A/B them though, so a lot of it could be placebo. Biggest upgrade between the Audigy 2 an 4, because of better DAC's I suppose and discovery of resampling in Foobar.

Unless you meant Audigy 4 Pro, then it may well be placebo. AFAIK, the vanilla Audigy 4 is just a rebadged Audigy 2 with very minor difference.

Jun 8, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #25 of 93
Quote:

to utep10: wouldn't know

My guess is your not running the DAC1 optimally.

Unfortunately, the DAC1 is not really a "plug n play" DAC as far
as getting the most out of it. Doing the "tweaks" I mentioned
earlier, does alot for the DAC1. All it takes is getting a cheater
plug and buying some XLR-RCA adapters that allow you to un-short
a couple of pins. If your interested, you can pm me to explain or
do a search here as this subject has been well covered.

Good luck!

Jun 8, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #26 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by utep10
My guess is your not running the DAC1 optimally.

Unfortunately, the DAC1 is not really a "plug n play" DAC as far
as getting the most out of it. Doing the "tweaks" I mentioned
earlier, does alot for the DAC1. All it takes is getting a cheater
plug and buying some XLR-RCA adapters that allow you to un-short
a couple of pins. If your interested, you can pm me to explain or
do a search here as this subject has been well covered.

Good luck!

Sorry to go off topics, how does the zhaolu and dac1 compare? Is it an audible difference?

Jun 8, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #27 of 93
Quote:

tongue.gif

Well, then you should scratch many potential "hobbies" from your list.
Wine, quality food, motorcycles, martial arts, ..........
Pretty much everything complex requires a learning curve.

Jun 9, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #28 of 93
Hmmm, not shure the analogy flies.

I would agree that it takes "learning" to appreciate som kinds of music, especially classical. But that is not about the ability to hear differences in the reproduction of the same recorded piece of music, but in the ability to hear and appreciate differences between different performances of the same piece of music.

Of course the original remark is probably true: you can train yourself to become more aware of differences in reproduction. Thing is, those minor differences (to me) don't make or break my ability to enjoy the music. Differences that are more readily apparent do enhance the enjoyment of the music more, f.eks going from the Audigy 2 to the Audigy 4 Pro, meant that the distortion in the treble of the Audigy 2 completely disappeared. Suddenly I could listen for longer without feeling fatigued, it was a very big difference.

Jun 9, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #29 of 93
Quote:

2 - I use Coax

I know the question is about the DAC but if your interconnect cable was total crap then it could easily null any differences upstream at the DAC side. So it really seems like there isn't much difference between your DAC1 and the x-fi. I don't have either by the way but I'm happy to read this because the DAC1 will definitely not fall on my list of DAC to spend money on!
biggrin.gif
Hope you can sell it back or even better bring it back to the shop.

Jun 9, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #30 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loftprojection
I don't have either by the way but I'm happy to read this because the DAC1 will definitely not fall on my list of DAC to spend money on!
biggrin.gif
Hope you can sell it back or even better bring it back to the shop.

No kidding, especially since the DAC1 isn't cheap!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back