No difference between DAC1 and X-Fi Elite Pro
Jun 12, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #91 of 93
Strange. I think there's a big difference in sound when comparing the elite pro to my receiver with the elite losing. The difference ain't that big when going to the elite pro from the receiver, but when going back everything just sounds way more natural.

Elite pro has a plasticky sound as soundcards tend to have.

Jun 13, 2006 at 8:29 AM Post #92 of 93
Quote:

It could be your amp - maybe the sudgen introduces it's own character that
makes all decent sources sound the same.

Aah, nr. 3 in my original post.
You are the only one who has mentioned the amp as a possible bottleneck.
The Sugden Headmaster is not talked about much on head-fi, but I have reason to believe it is one of the better amps out there. Personally, I,ve only compared it directly to the headphone out af my NAD C 350 integrated amplifier, where the Sugden is MUCH better.

I also think the Sugden is capable of driving the K701 very well. For one thing, several posters at head-fi have mentioned that there is not enough bass in the K701. I don't find that, there's a little bit less bass then the HD650, but still more then enough for my tasts. I do find though that i slightly prefer the HD650 bass, not because of the amount of it, but more because of its presentation. If I had to put one word on it, I would say the HD650 bass is more "organic", the K701 bass is more "synthetic". The very wide soundstage of the K701 (which I love) could also have something to do with it.

Quote:

Strange. I think there's a big difference in sound when comparing the elite pro to my receiver with the elite losing. The difference ain't that big when going to the elite pro from the receiver, but when going back everything just sounds way more natural.

Well maybe the DAC1 and the Elite Pro belong to the same family of solid state sound, whilst your receiver is more tube-like. That might explain there is an obvious difference to you and not to me.

Jun 13, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #93 of 93
From my brief listening of the Sudgen headphone amp, it is a beautiful sounding amp with the HD650's. That being said, it is not the most revealing headphone/headphone amp combo for discerning DAC differences IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back