NO DAC IN NEW IPHONES????
Nov 1, 2020 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Shabda

100+ Head-Fier
So I just read that the newer iphones i.e. all the ones without a standard 3.5 mm headphone jack i.e. almost all the ones in circulation don’t have a DAC or at least it’s not using one when I plug my headphones in through the loghtning adapter! Is this really true? Is the DAC in that crappy little adapter??

Nov 1, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #2 of 4
That small adapter has a nice DAC in it. One of the times when a DAC is small.

Nov 2, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #3 of 4
So I just read that the newer iphones i.e. all the ones without a standard 3.5 mm headphone jack i.e. almost all the ones in circulation don’t have a DAC

A DAC is a Digital to Analogue Converter.

If you play YouTube does sound come out of its built in speakers?

If yes, then how did that happen if it did not have a DAC that would take the D (heehee) from YT and then C it to A? You'd have to be like Tank on the Matrix looking at the 110000101010100010101010101011000001010001011000010101001110000 stream from YT telling Neo that you can hear cymbals and toms then oh here come the guitars.

or at least it’s not using one when I plug my headphones in through the loghtning adapter! Is this really true? Is the DAC in that crappy little adapter??

It won't use the internal audio chip.

Not that they can't in absolute terms, they just decided to sell you a dongle or their own wireless earphones.

Is this really true? Is the DAC in that crappy little adapter??

Well it's not really crappy in terms of the quality of the DAC chip or that it has to use USB power.

It's crappy in the sense that it's a dumb idea to begin with when there's a DAC in there and that dongle can break, but they sell it to you at a higher price because the chip has to be in there.

On top of which old microUSB would have extra pins so the analogue output of the internal audio chip can be routed there.

Nov 12, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #4 of 4
Thank you for the responses! I have since calmed down and accepted my reality. In the end it’s impressive how small a decent dac can be. I got a used fiio q5s to free myself but the dongle aint THAT bad, i guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back