No closed phones in league of HD-650 or K701?
Feb 15, 2006 at 3:10 PM Post #17 of 27
Why not have Headphile turn your HD650's into closed cans by woody-modding them? That's what I did, very effective.

Feb 15, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #19 of 27
They don't provide isolation for the wearer, that's true, but they do keep sound from the headphones from being heard by others.

I found the effect on the sound of the HD650 to be minimal, and for me, it was marginally better. YMMV.

Feb 15, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #20 of 27
JVC HP-DX1000

Isolation is pretty good, but I don't think these sound similiar to the HD650 or K701's either.

Feb 15, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
They don't provide isolation for the wearer, that's true, but they do keep sound from the headphones from being heard by others.

I found the effect on the sound of the HD650 to be minimal, and for me, it was marginally better. YMMV.

Folks, thanks for your responses so far. It seems to me that open headphones just seem to go to a higher level than closed phones, hence my quest for a better closed phone. Some of the suggestions are a bit high budget-wise for me, but well worth consideration. Maybe I'm better suited to going for something like the UE10's.

Skylab, would you say that the woodie mod would allow the HD650 to be as quiet in terms of leakage as a closed headphone? And, what effect does that have on the sound quality?

Thanks,
-Vik

Feb 15, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Skylab, would you say that the woodie mod would allow the HD650 to be as quiet in terms of leakage as a closed headphone?

Pretty close, yes.

Quote:

what effect does that have on the sound quality?

IMO, it makes the mids a bit more forward and the bass a bit better defined.

Feb 15, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #23 of 27
The K340's are technically closed, but you would have to get them used... and they really don't isolate all that much.

Feb 15, 2006 at 5:39 PM Post #24 of 27
I was using my K271s as my office can while I was awaiting my HD 555s.

I now have both of these in front of me right now.

Technically, I do think the K271s are superior in design overall, but the HD 555 has a wider soundstage. For a closed phone, the K271s soundstage is good.

The K271 is quite an exceptional phone, it has a great mid-range, softer highs, and an articulate but not pronounced low-end. In fact, the low-end is comparable to the HD555s, but perhaps more accurate in low bass.

The K271 will be used primarily for home studio application, but it is a beautiful listening phone too. The HD 555 overall is just more immediate and present.

Very impressed with the K271 as a sealed can, isolates well. Was convenient at the office where as soon as you took the headphones off it cancelled any sound output, was non-interfering to all.

I'm so impressed by the AKG that I will look into perhaps a 601/701 as my next can.

Feb 15, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by felixkrull6
You can use audiocubes but www.pricejapan.com is less expensive. Plus if you use EMS instead of DHL it will be slightly cheaper then the listed price on their home page.

Thanks, but I think the price is too high either way...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back