No Bose??
Jan 14, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #46 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by bellsprout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are going to use them on the streets, you should really consider some earphones/canalphones. IEM's may isolate too much (be dangerous walking around the streets oblivious to everything around u), but I use IEM's on public transport.

Anyway, good canalphones/IEM's really pack a punch in sound quality that rivals headphones. And wouldn't a large closed set of headphones look gaudy?

I am used to the big ones on the streets.People will always look at you and laugh at you with or without a big one.

Jan 14, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #47 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am used to the big ones on the streets.People will always look at you and laugh at you with or without a big one.

That's the spirit! On the metro or the bus, folks always stare at me and my Ultrasones. I just smile quietly back at them, and keep on enjoying the music!
750prolinebx3.png

Jan 14, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #48 of 91
Quote:

I am not looking for a noice canceling one. Just a closed one. I like sennheiser but the one's I am interested in are all open ones. I have actually never heard of IEM though..

Boy are you in for a surprise when you do.

I am a first hand witness to a civilian when he said:

"These headphones (ER4 IEM's) are SHI*!!"

... the look on his face 3 seconds later when the ear canal sealed is worth
$1,000,000.

Jan 14, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #49 of 91
Anyway - back on topic.

For closed circumaural (full sized headphone), your HD-280 will provide better sound than any bose and it'll cost you about $100 delivered.

Jan 14, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #50 of 91
I don't know about using IEMs while walking... I had my marshmallows on (medium isolation) and I wasn't as aware of surroundings (like cars) until they were close and more audible.
It could be dangerous.

Jan 14, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #51 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fungi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about using IEMs while walking... I had my marshmallows on (medium isolation) and I wasn't as aware of surroundings (like cars) until they were close and more audible.
It could be dangerous.

You can always look around you more often. In fact, when I wear my IEMs on street I find they don't isolate me completely with my music playing at medium volume. And I always check before I cross any street now, with or without IEMs in my ear. It's a really good habit to keep I guess
wink.gif

Jan 14, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #52 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fungi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It could be dangerous.

Keeping your head up and looking around, and even if not fully aware while listening to music your eyes are still sending information to brains and you can instinctively (sp?) avoid cars and other moving objects. Using ears only even without IEMs isnt really smart...

And as we always preach to children.
Always before crossing the steet, look left, then right, and then left again to make sure and then walk. And otherway around with left-sided traffic like UK of course.
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #53 of 91
And by the way, if you are driving a car, the sound around you will not help you very much either. And I am used to not hearing things around me when I walk on the streets and that is also a reason I wear them. Many people out there don't have many interesting things to say to you besides " I have a BMW and a dick, do you wanna come along?". And you look more unreachable so if you're luck they won't even bother and when they do, you can eassily, not noticable, ignore them. That's also why I love the Big Ones.

Jan 15, 2007 at 12:55 PM Post #54 of 91
Actually I do think its important to be able to hear stuff around you while driving (tried KSC-75s while driving a few times, and somehow it just doesn't feel right) but anyway, the point of this post is... you won't have to deal with people driving beemers hitting on you but do expect a friendly greeting or two from fellow head-fiers :3

Jan 15, 2007 at 1:42 PM Post #55 of 91
I have a Bose Wave CD/Radio. I bought it back in February 2004 before I was aware of this place... cost me £400 and I initially thought it was amazing. Before long I became annoyed at the booming bass which is unadjustable. Eventually I decided this was pure arrogance on the part of Bose, to assume they know what is best for their listeners. If that arrogance extends to their headphones, I would dread to hear them!

One thing you must hand them is their ability to market themselves superbly. They trap the "it costs more so it must perform more" crowd, in addition to the posers who want a "brand name".

My Bose now sits in my bedroom, where I use it as a clock/alarm. It does very nicely in this regard with its auto-adjustable LED brightness
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #56 of 91
IMO you're better of with small closed headphones than full size closed cans if you are going to use them outside. The sennheiser HD 25-1 is nice little headphone. The Media Markt has them in stock so you could listen to them in one of their stores. But if you have the chance, go to a hi-fi store so you can listen to your own music with proper amps and a quiet atmosphere.

Jan 16, 2007 at 11:28 AM Post #57 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeerkaas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO you're better of with small closed headphones than full size closed cans if you are going to use them outside. The sennheiser HD 25-1 is nice little headphone. The Media Markt has them in stock so you could listen to them in one of their stores. But if you have the chance, go to a hi-fi store so you can listen to your own music with proper amps and a quiet atmosphere.

The senn looks interesting though. I sell them so trying them should not be a problem. It's just stupid I never thought of that one. Mediamarkt would be to sucky to go to. I am also looking at the ultrasone proline 750 and I wonder what would be better for me. I really like their design. Nice and big.

Jan 16, 2007 at 11:32 AM Post #58 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by lukealexander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Bose Wave CD/Radio. I bought it back in February 2004 before I was aware of this place... cost me £400 and I initially thought it was amazing. Before long I became annoyed at the booming bass which is unadjustable. Eventually I decided this was pure arrogance on the part of Bose, to assume they know what is best for their listeners. If that arrogance extends to their headphones, I would dread to hear them!

One thing you must hand them is their ability to market themselves superbly. They trap the "it costs more so it must perform more" crowd, in addition to the posers who want a "brand name".

My Bose now sits in my bedroom, where I use it as a clock/alarm. It does very nicely in this regard with its auto-adjustable LED brightness
smily_headphones1.gif

I was very surprised nobody talked about the bose here. I know they are quite expensive, but if it's worth their money then it's not that bad. But I already heard nice (cheaper) alternatives so. You all come up with brands I have never heard of, wich makes this search very interesting and endlessness haha

Jan 16, 2007 at 11:56 AM Post #59 of 91
600smile.gif
And I think I am falling in love with this one ( the ultrasone 750) because of all the impressive good reviews I am reading. Wow, haven't felt like this in a long time...
600smile.gif

Jan 16, 2007 at 12:37 PM Post #60 of 91
Quote:

The senn looks interesting though. I sell them so trying them should not be a problem. It's just stupid I never thought of that one. Mediamarkt would be to sucky to go to. I am also looking at the ultrasone proline 750 and I wonder what would be better for me. I really like their design. Nice and big.

Definitely give the Senns a try, especially since they are readily available to you.

Based my own brief trial of the HD25s before settling upon my Ultrasones, they do not provide as good a seal, since they are smaller supra-aural designs, while the Ultrasones are circumaural, enclosing the entirety of the ear.

Furthermore, the Ultrasones offer depth of bass, wider soundstage and detail that the HD-25s simply don't approach.

If you're going to use your iPod unamped, you might do well to consider the PROline 650s
650prolinetl7.png
. They are less expensive than the PROline 750
750prolinebx3.png
, and they can be comfortably driven directly by an iPod without any external amplification, whereas the 750s really need an amp to sound their best.

650_pro_main.jpg

With a phat, warm character, they kick out monster bass without the mercilessly revealing detail (viewed as brightness by some) of the PROline 750. This is not to suggest that they are soft by any means, just tuned-down a notch with a gold-plated driver instead of the stiffer platinum one, and somewhat more forgiving of source quality.

You can find them locally HERE.

And there is a nice recent online review of the PROline 650 HERE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back