No-Amp Headphone Recs
Apr 28, 2013 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

posteriorpounde

Head-Fier
Looking for a $300 pair of closed/semi-closed headphones that sound great without an amplifier. Some features I'm looking for are

1. Amp-less: I will be driving these out of a laptop/portable media player. I don't plan on purchasing an amp soon so scalability is not an issue for me. I'd just like a pair that sounds very good sans amp.

1. Durable: Although I will be careful, I'm not looking to baby them.

1. Engaging sound: I'm interested in 'engaging' sound which is especially strong at reproducing vocals (about a 60/40 split between male and female vocals). The upper-mid hump will also make rock more engaging.

Punchy bass/rumble is always a plus because I do listen to EDM as well.

1. Comfort: Looking for comfortable headphones with which I can avoid head/perspiration for extended use. My ears are about average size and my head is above average size.

Some headphones I was looking at included the AKG K550, Beyer DT770 (poor mids), Mad Dogs (difficult to drive, kind of ugly), Sennheiser Momentums (small), V-Moda M-100 (lackluster mids), Focal Spirit One, and Denon D600. Other headphone recs are definitely welcome too.

Once again, I need to keep it under $300. Thanks for reading, I'm open to any suggestions and discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back