Nixon RPM
Apr 25, 2011 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

eriktheg

100+ Head-Fier
"features:
  1. custom 40mm driver tuned specifically for dj monitoring
  2. robust, articulating joints for full range of cueing orientations
  3. unique gel filled ear cushions create a comfortable uniform seal `wth thats cool!
  4. interlocking coiled cable for professional connectivity
  5. additional iphone compatible remote cable with microphone
  6. includes ¼ inch professional audio adapter
  7. ultra-secure, custom molded travel case"

8. TECHNICAL SPECS:
  9. Driver Type: 40mm dynamic
  10. Frequency Response: 18 - 20,000 Hz
  11. Sensitivity: 116 dB/V @ 1 kHz
  12. Impedance: 32 Ω
  13. Interface: 3.5mm and ¼ inch stereo analog
  14. Cable: Coil 2m PU & Mobile 1.3m TPE
  15. Weight: 347g

Claimed Frequency Responses;

Anyone have any Idea about these?
I searched and found absolutely nothing and they are coming this very spring and look real real cool!!
One of the coolest features is they have padding filled with Gel(never heard of this before). Also... they look and sound very ultra portable without the need for an amp, but I may be wrong.

Apr 25, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #2 of 10
I never heard about this brand before, but they look promising. Why not buy a pair and write a review for us? 
wink.gif

Apr 25, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 10
Nixon brand started out as a surfers' watch brand. A lot of their products are designed by Cinco Design out of Portland OR (http://cincodesign.com/). I believe the team who designed the headphones included a designer who worked on the industrial design of the Numark PHX years ago.

And I agree, I think they look great!

Apr 25, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
Nixon brand started out as a surfers' watch brand. A lot of their products are designed by Cinco Design out of Portland OR (http://cincodesign.com/). I believe the team who designed the headphones included a designer who worked on the industrial design of the Numark PHX years ago.

And I agree, I think they look great!

Good to know, 

They look damn comfy. I bet they sound good. 

Apr 26, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #5 of 10

Yeah lol. I never really heard of gel filled pads which I would like to try.... um if I had money to spare these days haha. Anyways, as for as I know, my application is pending to get a job during the summer to earn a couple grand, so hopefully it will all work out. But When they say DJ, they better not be all focused on the Bass like the Beats by Dre or something similar but rather more towards the M50 and HD 650 sound spectrum.

Jul 15, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #9 of 10
They are sold through Apple stores now.

My verdict is that they are far too heavy and too tight on the head to be comfortable. The sound is pretty decent. The hinges creek as you move them. Expensive for what they are IMO. Built like a tank however.

Jul 18, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #10 of 10
Hey guys, 

I have all the info you may need about NIXON headphones, so feel free to ping me about them anytime. The personal audio products form NIXON are developed to be very well built, look insane, and sound even better. Each product is designed with a particular type of customer in mind with regards to form, function, and cost.

Here's some updated info on the RPM...

The frequency response curve in the OP is not accurate. It was posted to the web prematurely before the custom driver was introduced. Here's the correct one... 

The driver tuning has been selectively augmented to reproduce electronic, hip-hop, pop and other modern digital music the way that a typical DJ may prefer. Accented from 85 Hz to 120 Hz (bass drum) and then again from 6 kHz up to 13 kHz (high freq percussion). The high-mids have also been reduced to allow breathing room for these other ranges, and the result is pretty darn close to what was intended beforehand. If you listen to this type of music often, you'll notice the RPM sounds really punchy and consistent, without being over the top.

The ear cushions do contain a layer of gel that has been dialed in to be comfortable and isolating, without adding much weight at all (a lot of weight has been shaved since the prototyping stages). Along with this, the headband clamping force has been reduced, but any unit you have purchased or will purchase is already correct. If you find the clamping force to be a wee too much, you can stretch out the steel in the headband a little by grabbing it up top near the sides of the headband and bending out the curve a tad (don't bend while grabbing the cans as you will put a lot of pressure on the joints and possibly cause damage). Yes, the RPM is built like a tank, but should obviously be handled respectfully.

Any other questions, let me know!

Also, the original picture posted here is a rendering that was released pre-launch. Here are actual product photos:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back