NITSCH x Schiit Pietus Maximus Release/Impressions Thread
Dec 19, 2023 at 1:54 AM Post #151 of 463
how does the pietus compare to the rebelamp
I have Pietus on the way and am currently running RebelAmp as my main. Will update when I get some solid listening time in.

Dec 19, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #152 of 463
Mine just arrived last night. Initial impressions is wow. Gonna let it burn in a bit then touch upon it some more.

Dec 19, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #153 of 463
First Impressions and Comparision to RebelAmp

IMG_3001.JPG

Some Disclaimers:
1) I am a terrible writer, excuse the grammatical errors.
2) Impressions are based on about 3 hours of listening and my A/B methodology is not perfect. The RME only has one RCA out and I do not have any splitters available currently. I had to use a Schiit Sys in the reverse direction to A/B.
3) This Pietus Maximus (referring to it as PMax moving forward) has a hum issue when adjusting volume. This didn't affect the sound and Christian is working on a fix for anyone with this issue.

The Set-Up:
Dac: RME ADI-2 Dac FS (no EQ)
RCA Split: Schiit Sys
Amps: PMax, RebelAmp
Headphones/IEMs: Meze Empyrean, Thieaudio Monarch MkII

PMax Impressions:
The first notable thought was the PMax produced very good vocal timbre and richness, even on the Empys which has a more recessed ear gain region. Very smooth and not peaky or harsh (even on Monarch MkII with more exaggerated vocals). Detail sounds really nice for the price. From memory, I'd say it's a step above Jot 2 and a little bit better than Lyr+ (not A/B comparison). Definitely sounds like a Schiit amp; it's punchy, full-sounding, not analytical, and overall very enjoyable.

PMax v. RebelAmp:
These two amps compete pretty fairly with one another depending on what you are looking for in an amp. RebelAmp is wider and has better macro-dynamics. PMax is slightly more narrow with better micro-dynamics. PMax has better vocal reproduction (and places vocals closer to you); RebelAmp has better bass reproduction (specifically sub-bass and bass note placement in the soundstage). RebelAmp is slightly dryer, but reproduces a room-like atmosphere better. PMax is smoother, the staging feels more "in the mix", and handles more intimate tracks better. Both are very impressive for the price, pick the flavor that you think you'd like more. If your reference is Jot 2, both these amps sound like a step above that in my opinion.

Test Tracks (via Qobuz):
The Weeknd - I Feel It Coming
Suki Waterhouse - Moves
Tash Sultana - Big Smoke
Adele - Skyfall
Le Sserafim - Perfect Night
Travis Scott - FIEN
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Snow (Hey Oh)
Zedd - Stay
Bring Me the Horizon - Parasite Eve.
Sam Smith - Dancing With A Stranger (Live at Abbey Road Studio)
Reona - Untitled World
LEDGER - Not Dead Yet
The Smile - The Opposite
Frank Ocean - Nights
Steve Lacy - Dark Red
Creepy Nuts - Losstime
88rising - Best Lover
J. Cole - m y . l i f e
Daft Punk - Instant crush
SG Lewis - Call On Me
Joywave - Tongues
Kanye West - Waves

Edit: I preferred high gain on PMax and low gain on RebelAmp.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #154 of 463
Here's an oddball question. Thinking of snagging this thing after I save a bit more. But I heard a few people say the add in dac cards don't have the same sonic performance as the seperate units. Can anyone speak to whether that is true or not? Would be nice to save a few bucks instead of buying a seperate modi multibit 2.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #155 of 463
Here's an oddball question. Thinking of snagging this thing after I save a bit more. But I heard a few people say the add in dac cards don't have the same sonic performance as the seperate units. Can anyone speak to whether that is true or not? Would be nice to save a few bucks instead of buying a seperate modi multibit 2.
You can always add a card later. They are the exact same cards that Schiit sells. There just may be a lot of screws to remove to get to it, so if a little DIY makes you hesitant it may not be a good fit. The potential downs side of the card is that is only take USB input (USB-C). If that doesn't work for you an external with multiple inputs is the way to go. The latest DAC cards should be pretty darn close to the existing Modi implementations, but don't hold a candle to the Bifrost. If you're worried about SQ and versatility and upgrading external is the way to go. If your deskspace is at a premium, and you don't want the hassle of self install, pick a card - ESS if you worry about too warm of a sound signature, MB if you don't. You can always bypass the internal card if you upgrade later.

Dec 20, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #156 of 463
You can always add a card later. They are the exact same cards that Schiit sells. There just may be a lot of screws to remove to get to it, so if a little DIY makes you hesitant it may not be a good fit. The potential downs side of the card is that is only take USB input (USB-C). If that doesn't work for you an external with multiple inputs is the way to go. The latest DAC cards should be pretty darn close to the existing Modi implementations, but don't hold a candle to the Bifrost. If you're worried about SQ and versatility and upgrading external is the way to go. If your deskspace is at a premium, and you don't want the hassle of self install, pick a card - ESS if you worry about too warm of a sound signature, MB if you don't. You can always bypass the internal card if you upgrade later.
I see. So the multibit dac card should perform similarly to the modi multibit 2? That's great to hear. If the dac card is available when I purchase it, I may just do that. I can always get a bifrost in a few years or so if I'm not happy with it.

Dec 20, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #157 of 463
This seems to be a highly subjective experience so opinions will definitely vary, but having compared the ESS9028 card, a Modi 3+, Modius (AKM) and even the venerable Bifrost 2 (OG), I'm hard-pressed to discern any audible differences at all between them. If the all-in-one form factor appeals to you, you really can't go wrong with the internal cards. The biggest downsides (if they really can be considered that) as others have noted is the limited input options (USB-C only), and the fact that you can't split the DAC output to another source without going through the amp.

Dec 20, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #158 of 463
Thank you guys for the input. I guess after I save for a month or two. I'll get this amp with multibit dac card. Appreciate it. We'll assuming the cards are in stock still. USB c only is not a huge downside to me.

Dec 20, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #159 of 463
My Pietus arrived!!!

Much earlier than expected, good job DHL. Actually nvm not good job I got taxed like around $125 CAD ($93.53 USD). Remind me how terrible it is to buy thing from Canada. Piety was the same........ totally got wrecked on import fee.

Now that's out of the way........

I think it's packaged exactly the same as Lyr 3 / Biforst 2 .......etc. style of packaging.

PXL_20231220_184455554.jpg

PXL_20231220_184951669.jpg

LOL my friend hated the white LED from the Piety, looks like it's back LOL.

PXL_20231220_184958856.jpg

So first impression...... I have to say my first impression matches pretty close to some of the earlier reviews.

PROS:
- Very smooth mature sound.
- While being smooth, the details are still there.
- 3 gain provide very usable volume range. The low gain is really low gain. Mid gain and high gain are closer to each other.
- Volume pot is slightly smoother than Lyr 3, ever ever so slightly......... but alas it is smoother.
- The grey/black look looks better in person.

CONS:
- Treble roll off slightly, so it's not the airiest amp I've heard.
- Not the widest soundstage.
- Not the biggest bass slam.
- Mid range not as rich or thick as Piety or other tube amp.
- Does not have the tube holographic thing.

INDIFFERENT:
- I read some earlier review that it runs cool, I think while it's not Asgard 3 hot or Lyr 3 hot, but I still don't consider this as "cool". It's like normal warm.
- More on the relax side of sound (depending on preference it could be pro or con).
- As mentioned earlier, a little bit less treble than other amps, so better to pair with dac that's has a bit more treble. For example it felt like it lack treble on SDAC, but when I switch to the ES9028 card then it's ok. But I never thought SDAC lacked treble until this.
- I haven't test on other headphone yet, but I suspect not the best pairing for Lawton TH900, but it's also notoriously amp picky so probably can't fault the amp.
- I have a small suspicion it pair better with 300 ohm headphones.

So in conclusion, I have Project Solstice and also Lyr 3 that I was hoping this would replace. But from initial impression maybe that is a bit unrealistic. I don't think this replaces tubes.

I think Piety in terms of tonal balance is a bit closer to the rich "tube sound". PMax dials back a bit to more like warmer than neutral.

I only just got it so I most likely need to let it burn in and also evaluate for longer period of time.

Will get back to you guys later LOL.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #160 of 463
INDIFFERENT:
- I read some earlier review that it runs cool, I think while it's not Asgard 3 hot or Lyr 3 hot, but I still don't consider this as "cool". It's like normal warm.

I'm wondering if it runs hotter when an addon card is installed, I'm grabbing the 9028 card myself to use this as an all-in-one. Top of my casing is cool, underneath is lukewarm. Regardless, awesome impressions I hope you get as much enjoyment out of it as I have so far.

Dec 21, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #161 of 463
it's not Asgard 3 hot or Lyr 3 hot, but I still don't consider this as "cool". It's like normal warm.
Mine does not have a dac card, and it runs quite cool. The vent hole area is barely warm to the touch.
I only just got it so I most likely need to let it burn in and also evaluate for longer period of time.
I've had mine (on) about a week now, and I think like most audio gear it does sound better after some burn in and fully up to temperature. It could be brain burn in, but I feel like it opened up and sounds smoother compared to when brand new.

I hope you enjoy yours, it is pretty impressive for the price I think, but it's hard to compare to other amps from memory (for me, anyway). I've had Lyr 3 and Jot 2, but not anymore to compare them directly.

I like Maximus so far with my Focal Clear OG and Rosson RAD-0.

Dec 21, 2023 at 6:10 AM Post #162 of 463
My Pietus arrived!!!

Much earlier than expected, good job DHL. Actually nvm not good job I got taxed like around $125 CAD ($93.53 USD). Remind me how terrible it is to buy thing from Canada. Piety was the same........ totally got wrecked on import fee.

Now that's out of the way........

I think it's packaged exactly the same as Lyr 3 / Biforst 2 .......etc. style of packaging.

LOL my friend hated the white LED from the Piety, looks like it's back LOL.

So first impression...... I have to say my first impression matches pretty close to some of the earlier reviews.

PROS:
- Very smooth mature sound.
- While being smooth, the details are still there.
- 3 gain provide very usable volume range. The low gain is really low gain. Mid gain and high gain are closer to each other.
- Volume pot is slightly smoother than Lyr 3, ever ever so slightly......... but alas it is smoother.
- The grey/black look looks better in person.

CONS:
- Treble roll off slightly, so it's not the airiest amp I've heard.
- Not the widest soundstage.
- Not the biggest bass slam.
- Mid range not as rich or thick as Piety or other tube amp.
- Does not have the tube holographic thing.

INDIFFERENT:
- More on the relax side of sound (depending on preference it could be pro or con).
- As mentioned earlier, a little bit less treble than other amps, so better to pair with dac that's has a bit more treble. For example it felt like it lack treble on SDAC, but when I switch to the ES9028 card then it's ok. But I never thought SDAC lacked treble until this.
- I haven't test on other headphone yet, but I suspect not the best pairing for Lawton TH900, but it's also notoriously amp picky so probably can't fault the amp.
- I have a small suspicion it pair better with 300 ohm headphones.

So in conclusion, I have Project Solstice and also Lyr 3 that I was hoping this would replace. But from initial impression maybe that is a bit unrealistic. I don't think this replaces tubes.

I think Piety in terms of tonal balance is a bit closer to the rich "tube sound". PMax dials back a bit to more like warmer than neutral.

Will get back to you guys later LOL.
in your opinion
what the difference sound between pietus and concero hp

thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 7:33 AM Post #163 of 463
Trying decide between the pietus maximus and the zmf homage... I know the zmf costs a bit more but judging from how much I love the little piety, I am very curious about this amp.

Dec 21, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #164 of 463
I'm wondering if it runs hotter when an addon card is installed, I'm grabbing the 9028 card myself to use this as an all-in-one. Top of my casing is cool, underneath is lukewarm. Regardless, awesome impressions I hope you get as much enjoyment out of it as I have so far.
Mine does not have a dac card, and it runs quite cool. The vent hole area is barely warm to the touch.
Oh yeah it could be that, maybe I should've got it without dac card. :joy:

Though honestly it's not bad but definitely warm. Like after coffee sit about 10 minutes then it's perfectly drinkable temperature.
I've had mine (on) about a week now, and I think like most audio gear it does sound better after some burn in and fully up to temperature. It could be brain burn in, but I feel like it opened up and sounds smoother compared to when brand new.
I think even on 2nd day (today) it seems to sound a bit better..... I'll keep listening..... lol.
in your opinion
what the difference sound between pietus and concero hp

thanks a lot.
I think they're actually polar opposite LOL.

At the time I bought Concero HP for convenience (USB powered). But once I saw the announcement of PMax I was hoping it would be a direct upgrade from Piety, so that's when I ordered it. Though it's actually not the same sound signature...... more on that in the bottom.......

Otherwise between Concero HP and PMax.

- Concero HP USB powered, PMax has its own power cord.
- Concero HP is brighter and VERY airy sounding, treble forward presentation, PMax is slightly darker warmer smoother sounding.
- Concero HP pair better with darker headphone, while PMax pair better with brighter source / headphone.
- Concero HP has horrible digital volume knob, PMax has good analogue volume knob.
- Concero HP is dac/amp while PMax is amp only (optional dac card).
- Both has wayyy too much power for my headphone (TH900), but PMax has even more power if switched to high gain.
Trying decide between the pietus maximus and the zmf homage... I know the zmf costs a bit more but judging from how much I love the little piety, I am very curious about this amp.
Uh something to keep in mind is that if you really loved the Piety, expect PMax to be different.

PMax is more neutral signature (compare to Piety). It's still warmer than most amps out there, but definitely less than Piety.

Say for example on a scale of 0 to 5.

0 being neutral 5 being like tube warm.

0 is like THX AAA
1 is probably like Magni
2 is probably like Asgard 3
3 is probably like PMax
4 is Piety
5 is probably what you'd expect from "tube sound"

This is slight generalization the values might be slightly off, but you get the idea LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back