NITSCH x Schiit Pietus Maximus Release/Impressions Thread
Dec 29, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #212 of 465
I would take the benefits of protecting my expensive gear from power surges over whatever slight differences in dynamics are claimed to exist.

Dec 29, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #213 of 465
I would take the benefits of protecting my expensive gear from power surges over whatever slight differences in dynamics are claimed to exist.
I don't disagree. My computer is staying on my surge protector even tho it powers my dac. But it was noticeable enough that I don't have my amp plugged into it anymore. But my amp is significantly cheaper than my computer lol.

Dec 30, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #214 of 465
I don't disagree. My computer is staying on my surge protector even tho it powers my dac. But it was noticeable enough that I don't have my amp plugged into it anymore. But my amp is significantly cheaper than my computer lol.
Well I’m not an electrical engineer but with amp connected directly to wall I feel at the time of surge it will enter Amp first then via RCA cable to your DAC and then via USB to your computer unless you are using optical from your computers or USB in the DAC is galvanically isolated. So if you keep one component connected directly to wall there is a loophole for lightning or other unwarranted cause to do damage.
I may be wrong but someone with good electrical background can chime in

Dec 30, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #215 of 465
Well I’m not an electrical engineer but with amp connected directly to wall I feel at the time of surge it will enter Amp first then via RCA cable to your DAC and then via USB to your computer unless you are using optical from your computers or USB in the DAC is galvanically isolated. So if you keep one component connected directly to wall there is a loophole for lightning or other unwarranted cause to do damage.

Not an engineer either, I'm pretty sure nothing can save your equipment from a direct lightning strike, but other surges caused from things like blown powerline transformers and the like can wreak all kinds of havoc.

Dec 30, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #216 of 465
Not an engineer either, I'm pretty sure nothing can save your equipment from a direct lightning strike
I'm not an engineer either, but I'm pretty sure if you get a direct lightning strike you'd be dead so I'd probably not worry about your equipment LOLLL jk jk. :joy:

On a more serious note, I tried to switch to a non surge protection power power bar. I didn't notice too much difference, or at least if there is difference it's probably too small for me to notice between the changes.

So I'd imagine this could vary from power bar to power bar. Maybe some influence more heavily some a bit less. Let the power bar rolling commence! :joy:

Oh what I did notice is that I've been using the ES9028 card, so I got an iFi Zen Air Dac as gift over Christmas. So I'm like hey why not, so I plugged it in to the PMax through RCA. I think I might actually like this more than the ES9028 card, need to test more. Only thing is I find the Zen Air Dac has smaller soundstage for some reason. Will test more....

Through another random turn of event, I picked up a MMB2 because someone was selling it so cheap that I can't refuse. So will update you guys next week once it arrives.

Now I started using RCA input, I noticed the volume knob hum when my hand is touching it. Using the dac card it was completely fine.

Anyone know how to get rid of it?

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #217 of 465
So I'd imagine this could vary from power bar to power bar. Maybe some influence more heavily some a bit less. Let the power bar rolling commence! :joy:

Oh lord, please no.

I just can't see how it makes any difference, because most power bars put nothing in series with the mains current. And the dynamic current draw on the mains voltage side of a headphone amp is incredibly low - especially when you consider energy stored in the transformer, reservoir caps, regulator drop-out, and quiescent current through the output stage.

Dec 30, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #218 of 465
So what sources and headphones is everybody using?

Dec 30, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #219 of 465
Yea, I do hear a difference. But it's probably not a good idea either way. The rewards are not worth the risk. A lightning strike would kill it, surge protector or not tho I think.

Dec 30, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #220 of 465
I'm using the following with this amazing amp. Bifrost 2 and PI2AES/PI4 using coax/BNC. Playing all lossless files. Headphones are JAR650, Atticus, HD6XX, HD600, need to try Elex when I have more time. Also have the ess card on order.

I plug it all into the same Furman EMI/RFI/Surge protector. No hums no buzzes or vibrating knobs.

Dec 30, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #221 of 465
I'm anxiously awaiting my Audio Note DAC 2.1 signature I just bought. Will replace Modius E.

Dec 30, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #225 of 465
I have the Audio Note kit version of the same DAC. Very nice it is too.

However, my Modi Multibit has its own strengths.

Andrew
Yeah I had a BF2/64 that I had to sell earlier this year. I really thought about getting the Yggy gs2 for about the same price. But the AN appeared in the classifieds and figured I'd try it out. What tubes are you using? Mine is coming with stock and tung sols.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back