NITSCH x Schiit Magni Piety - Impressions Thread
Jun 2, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #1,411 of 1,640
Based on emails I exchanged with Christian when I purchased the Piety, it does look like he had a hand in at least the Drop HD58X. So maybe the 6XX? I know he worked directly with Anton Meze on the Noirs when he was at Massdrop working as the Audiophile Custom Products Product Manager. It was at his recommendation that I decided on the Noirs.

From emails I received:

".........headphones I was working on when I was at Massdrop working on Sennheiser HD58X and others."
That is nice to know the background. The HD58X Jubilees are one of the best bang for the buck headphones IMO. It pretty much started my enthusiasm in personal audio. I bought it years ago when it was formally MassDrop and still keep them. Not surprisingly they sound great on the MagPi. :L3000:

Jun 2, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #1,412 of 1,640
That is nice to know the background. The HD58X Jubilees are one of the best bang for the buck headphones IMO. It pretty much started my enthusiasm in personal audio. I bought it years ago when it was formally MassDrop and still keep them. Not surprisingly they sound great on the MagPi. :L3000:
Wish I could use them or the 6XX for that matter but I really need more isolation than an open-back would provide. Maybe if I find I actually LIKE listening with headphones, I'll pick up a pair & check them out.

Dave

Jun 2, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #1,413 of 1,640
Wish I could use them or the 6XX for that matter but I really need more isolation than an open-back would provide. Maybe if I find I actually LIKE listening with headphones, I'll pick up a pair & check them out.

Dave
If you need a closed back headphone you might want to try a Fostex T50RP Mk3 or T60RP. They are not completely closed but do offer decent isolation, and IMO offer excellent sound quality for the money. Please keep in mind that these are planar magnetic headphones, as opposed to dynamic headphones like the HD6XX.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #1,414 of 1,640
If you need a closed back headphone you might want to try a Fostex T50RP Mk3 or T60RP. They are not completely closed but do offer decent isolation, and IMO offer excellent sound quality for the money. Please keep in mind that these are planar magnetic headphones, as opposed to dynamic headphones like the HD6XX.
Thank you for the recommendation but after a number enthusiastic recommendations, including an enthusiastic one from Christian (CEE TEE, who also worked closely with Anton Meze & developed the Meze 99 Noir for Massdrop), I decided on that headphone (99 Noir).

Thanks again. Now I look forward to finding out if I even LIKE listening with headphones! We'll see...................

Dave

Jun 4, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #1,415 of 1,640
Thank you for the recommendation but after a number enthusiastic recommendations, including an enthusiastic one from Christian (CEE TEE, who also worked closely with Anton Meze & developed the Meze 99 Noir for Massdrop), I decided on that headphone (99 Noir).

Thanks again. Now I look forward to finding out if I even LIKE listening with headphones! We'll see...................

Dave
The 99 Classics is a really nice headphone. I just dug out my 73 Classics (predecessor to the 99) which I use in balanced mode via a balanced cable. Very nice sounding with its wooden cups and lightweight. Enjoy your Piety and 99 Classics rig! 😊

Jun 5, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #1,416 of 1,640
Piety is in the house. Can't wait to give a listen. Think my night is going to be pretty busy.

Jun 5, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #1,417 of 1,640
Piety is in the house. Can't wait to give a listen. Think my night is going to be pretty busy.
Enjoy! BTW, was wondering if the SVT in your screen name has to do with Ford's Special Vehicle Team?

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #1,418 of 1,640
Enjoy! BTW, was wondering if the SVT in your screen name has to do with Ford's Special Vehicle Team?
It is. Nice eye. I had an SVT back about 20 years ago and loved it.

Jun 5, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #1,419 of 1,640
BTW, the Meze 99 Noir is a great headphone. Some may think it too bassy but I find it quite warm and resolving at the same time.

Jun 5, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #1,420 of 1,640
It is. Nice eye. I had an SVT back about 20 years ago and loved it.
Still own my 1999 silver Contour SVT. Bought it in 2000 from my brother with 3600 miles. It has just under 28,000 now.
Great little car! 😊. Yes, the 99 Classics is a very nice headphone. I use its predecessor in balanced mode (73 Classics)
with great results.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #1,421 of 1,640
I had a 2003 SVT Focus #2145. Blast of car around the twisties. Had to get rid of it when the top end blew. Not worth it to fix. Driving a 22 WRX now and puts as many smiles on my face as the SVT did.

Jun 5, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #1,422 of 1,640
I had a 2003 SVT Focus #2145. Blast of car around the twisties. Had to get rid of it when the top end blew. Not worth it to fix. Driving a 22 WRX now and puts as many smiles on my face as the SVT did.

I remember when the SVT Focus came out. Very neat car. I also remember the original WRX with the "bug eyes." Another great performance car for the money. My brother is the car guy in the family. Lost count of how many cars he has owned over the years. He had a WRX-STi in the mid 2000's that he really liked. Did not keep it long though. The performance was incredible at the time! He replaced it with a 911 cabriolet which he enjoyed for several years. He's in his 60's now so he's more conservative. He drives an older S Class Mercedes which is built like the proverbial tank. lol

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #1,423 of 1,640
Just had a quick session with the Piety. Chain was: Hiby RS2> Piety> HD 58X.
What a great sounding combo. The sound on it was very unique. Can't wait to get some more head-time with this. Just digging the signature with the RS2.

Jun 20, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #1,424 of 1,640
Anyone looking to buy a Piety? I have one priced to sell in the classifieds, and it's a steal of a deal. Hit me up if interested and I also have a killer pair of Audio Envy RCA IC's for sale that go perfectly with the Piety as well. I have both priced to sell, and they are both a steal of a deal. :grin:

Jun 23, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #1,425 of 1,640
Schiit Piety - What a great amp! Currently my favorite setup and has made me question the need for other amps.
What makes this little guy sound extra special is the extra fun project in going dual mono with dual piety's and now dual Vali 1's

Initial setup and proof of concept:
Piety Dual.jpeg

Piety Dual 2.jpeg

The sound is fantastic. Opens up the Piety soundstage quite a lot, really throws width and enhanced layering...so then I decided to take it a step further.

Changing out caps sounded like a fun plan:
piety large caps.jpeg

But missed the dual mono sound
So pushed it a bit further-

in progress.jpeg

Piety fun.jpeg

piety half done.jpeg

Where we have ended up:
IMG_7251.JPG

IMG_7248.JPG

Now I have a setup that is allowing for fast swapping of filtering caps to see if any diff. is made before making the final decision on type and value.

Next step is a more elegant power supply design and a better looking chassis. Then I will be creating the sister setup using dual Vali amps. The Vali 1 is one of Schiits best amps in my personal opinion and even better as a dual mono setup!

Attachments

• dual piety cabels.jpeg
    dual piety cabels.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Piety Lokius.jpeg
    Piety Lokius.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back