NITSCH x Schiit Magni Piety - Impressions Thread
Jun 23, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #1,426 of 1,640
Schiit Piety - What a great amp! Currently my favorite setup and has made me question the need for other amps.
What makes this little guy sound extra special is the extra fun project in going dual mono with dual piety's and now dual Vali 1's

Initial setup and proof of concept:

The sound is fantastic. Opens up the Piety soundstage quite a lot, really throws width and enhanced layering...so then I decided to take it a step further.

Changing out caps sounded like a fun plan:

But missed the dual mono sound
So pushed it a bit further-

Where we have ended up:

Now I have a setup that is allowing for fast swapping of filtering caps to see if any diff. is made before making the final decision on type and value.

Next step is a more elegant power supply design and a better looking chassis. Then I will be creating the sister setup using dual Vali amps. The Vali 1 is one of Schiits best amps in my personal opinion and even better as a dual mono setup!

Fascinating! Yours is now a Magni Piety PLUS. 😊

Jun 23, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #1,427 of 1,640
Schiit Piety - What a great amp! Currently my favorite setup and has made me question the need for other amps.
What makes this little guy sound extra special is the extra fun project in going dual mono with dual piety's and now dual Vali 1's

Initial setup and proof of concept:
Piety Dual.jpeg
Piety Dual 2.jpeg

The sound is fantastic. Opens up the Piety soundstage quite a lot, really throws width and enhanced layering...so then I decided to take it a step further.

Changing out caps sounded like a fun plan:
piety large caps.jpeg

But missed the dual mono sound
So pushed it a bit further-

in progress.jpeg

Piety fun.jpeg

piety half done.jpeg

Where we have ended up:
IMG_7251.JPG
IMG_7248.JPG

Now I have a setup that is allowing for fast swapping of filtering caps to see if any diff. is made before making the final decision on type and value.

Next step is a more elegant power supply design and a better looking chassis. Then I will be creating the sister setup using dual Vali amps. The Vali 1 is one of Schiits best amps in my personal opinion and even better as a dual mono setup!

Holy crap!

Jun 23, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #1,429 of 1,640
I use my Vahalla 2 a lot but when I don't want to warm up the tubes the Piety is a great alternative. Terrific little amp for a great price.

The Vahalla 2 became a classic almost from the moment it was first offered because of its excellent sound quality
and superb value. It's nice that the Piety serves as its solid state alternative, offering you what for many can be
part of an end game headfi system. Glad that you are enjoying this hobby! 😊

Jun 23, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #1,430 of 1,640
I rotate several amps and dacs on a weekly basis...
Today stack:

Compare the Vali 2+ with a stock 6BZ7 + MB 2 and the MHDT Orchid NOS TD 1451 dac.
Rad 0's cans today.
Sweet sounds with all the below!

1687539369607.png

Jun 24, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #1,431 of 1,640
High gain is a little more aggressive but the soundstage also shrinks. Low gain is a softer presentation but has a larger and more cohesive soundstage.
Pretty much exactly what I hear. BTW, I'm using Meze 99 Noirs.

Chain: Cambridge CXC V2 transport > Border Patrol DAC > Musical Fidelity M3i amp (tape outs) > Piety

Jun 24, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #1,434 of 1,640
Had an original Magni 3 which had the wall of sound. Never really cared for it with my dynamics but did like the
way it sounded with my planars. IMHO it's easily outperformed by Schiits newer Magni amp's but did set
the bar for headphone amp's at the $100 mark when introduced back in 2017.

Jun 24, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #1,435 of 1,640
One of the things I do not like about Piety is the volume position in HIGH gain....way hot and using the sys helps here.
Also have a iFi iDSD dac that has a variable output vs a solid 2 or 2.1 volts...helps with Piety get off the bottom end.

Still a great amp IMO.

Yeah I went thru all the Magnis...the 3+ and latest Magni + are quite similar here.
Like they moved the phone jack to the left side...

Price wise they are a steal in this hobby.

Jun 24, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #1,436 of 1,640
I like the bottom end, I can not lie.

Jun 24, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #1,437 of 1,640
Jun 29, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #1,438 of 1,640
Piety headphone jack just started acting up. With jack all the way in, I only get sound in the right channel. If I pull the jack out about 1/4", I get both channels. Any thoughts?

Jun 29, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #1,439 of 1,640
Piety headphone jack just started acting up. With jack all the way in, I only get sound in the right channel. If I pull the jack out about 1/4", I get both channels. Any thoughts?

Are you using a quarter inch plug or an 1/8" to 1/4" adaptor. I've had this occur with many headphone amplifiers, but only when using an adaptor.

Jun 29, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #1,440 of 1,640
Are you using a quarter inch plug or an 1/8" to 1/4" adaptor. I've had this occur with many headphone amplifiers, but only when using an adaptor.
Using a 1/4" plug. Tried a couple different headphones/jacks just to make sure it wasn't the cable/jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back