NITSCH x Schiit Magni Piety - Impressions Thread
Feb 2, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #962 of 1,640
I have those mega-buck cans here...
But these HD 650's have to be one of the BEST all time headphones period. Mic Drop.
For the price they are simply one of the best cans out there.
They always amaze me for their cost what they can reproduce.
Smiles here...

..and that Schitt stuff just is icing on the cake.

This setup would make many folks very happy...great entry setup AND a great aficionados setup as well.

$299 + $150 + $364 (real HD 650 at Crutchfield on sale today!) = $813!

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #965 of 1,640
Piety does have over current cut out protection.

I have hit it running DCA Aeons to high volume on high gain. The Aeon very low impedance and low sensitivity draws quite high current which the Piety can’t deliver. No criticism as the Piety is not alone, the DCA Aeon are a bit problematic in that regard.
That's very true of the Aeons. I didn't push mine that hard with the Piety, I could tell it just didn't have the grunt (current) to drive them properly.

They are notorious for needing lots of current out of an amp. I think most of the criticism Aeons get for "lacking dynamics" is simply that folks aren't using an amp that's suitable.

The mid size Schiits like Jot 2 or Lyr do great with them. I now have a Flux FA-10 Limited which absolutely lights them up! I've never heard my Aeon (RT Open) sound as good. :thumbsup:

Feb 7, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #966 of 1,640
Another couple of headphones that have excellent synergy with the Piety are the AKG K701 and the ZMF Verite closed, both on low gain.
Full Piety review coming soon on my youtube channel

Feb 7, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #967 of 1,640
That's very true of the Aeons. I didn't push mine that hard with the Piety, I could tell it just didn't have the grunt (current) to drive them properly.

They are notorious for needing lots of current out of an amp. I think most of the criticism Aeons get for "lacking dynamics" is simply that folks aren't using an amp that's suitable.

The mid size Schiits like Jot 2 or Lyr do great with them. I now have a Flux FA-10 Limited which absolutely lights them up! I've never heard my Aeon (RT Open) sound as good. :thumbsup:

I am not so sure.

I had an Asgard 3 and it powered the Aeon's phenomenally well since its maximum output is close to the Aeon's impedance, I assume that indicates a design favouring current output over voltage into higher impedance loads. It could power the Aeon to insane volume with no audible distortion and they could be felt literally pumping air on the ears, for a very short period obviously.

That said I didn't notice the Aeon having any significantly different sound or improved dynamics at normal sane listening volumes over lower powered amps including the Piety. I sold the Asgard 3 along with a Woo Audio WA6 tube amp and the Piety is my only desktop mains powered amp now.

Feb 8, 2023 at 4:52 AM Post #968 of 1,640
I am not so sure.

I had an Asgard 3 and it powered the Aeon's phenomenally well since its maximum output is close to the Aeon's impedance, I assume that indicates a design favouring current output over voltage into higher impedance loads. It could power the Aeon to insane volume with no audible distortion and they could be felt literally pumping air on the ears, for a very short period obviously.

That said I didn't notice the Aeon having any significantly different sound or improved dynamics at normal sane listening volumes over lower powered amps including the Piety. I sold the Asgard 3 along with a Woo Audio WA6 tube amp and the Piety is my only desktop mains powered amp now.
I have no doubt that is true with the Asgard 3 powering the Aeons extremely well, that was my point in mentioning the other 2 Schiit amps as examples that work well with the Aeon.

I should have clarified then that I think the Aeons sound fantastic with the Flux amp. I had never heard them sound this good with other amps so far...

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #969 of 1,640
Just bought a Piety. Looking for a DAC recommendation with great synergy.

Feb 13, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #971 of 1,640
It is true 650 sounds great on Piety, it's a taste of the large holographic soundstage of high end tubes. Treble is a little unrefined and edgy but otherwise its an example of synergy.
…. ? it sounds like hell but otherwise it’s great? …. 🤔

Feb 14, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #972 of 1,640
…. ? it sounds like hell but otherwise it’s great? …. 🤔
I find myself also gravitating towards the same 650/6XX>Piety combo over my other gear. I find the Piety replicates a tube sound to a great extent, but in the end it is a relatively inexpensive solid state device, and the solid state signature (glare?) is still in evidence. This may be the"unrefined and edgy treble"AnalogEuphoria is referring to, at least it's my explanation for the seemingly paradoxical statement. The Piety has led me to order a Bottlehead Crack kit because I want more of the tubey goodness that the Piety strongly hints at. Hope this helped! 🤷🏼‍♂️

Feb 21, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #973 of 1,640
Just bought a Piety. Looking for a DAC recommendation with great synergy.
I had tested mine early on running my Cayin N3Pro, pretty amazing...

Feb 22, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #975 of 1,640
@Kevintj604 what DAC did you wind up with for your MP setup?
Haven’t found anything that really stands out yet for a consideration of purchase. Still awaiting the Piety though so I’m not in a huge rush. Shipping is saying it’ll arrive on Friday. I’ll test with my Gryphon and CMA400i to start off with but through all the research that I’ve done so far most reviewers are saying to stick with Schiit DAC’s for better synergy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back