NITSCH x Schiit Magni Piety - Impressions Thread
May 12, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #1,366 of 1,640
You're looking at this the wrong way. You should be looking to get to hear better gear that makes the iFi Diablo sound average. Hearing a variety of that better gear is the style and level of sound quality that may get you to hear that amps do have sound quality differences, and can in fact have significant sound quality differences once you get to hear the really good stuff.

Do you have any headphone meets in your area where people bring some high-end gear you can try?

It was going to headphone meets 12-15 years ago where I got to hear some really good gear that got me to realize that wow I didn't know headphones and amps could sound this good and have this much headstage and this much imaging and this much musical enjoyment. It was those meets that got me to realize I need to chase that level of headphone sound quality, but somehow do it for less money. I got to hear a variety of really good headphone systems. Some solid state, some tube, some with NOS DACs and some with oversampling DACs (like Benchmark and Berkeley Alpha). You need to get to hear more than just the iFi Diablo to understand and experience what the better headphone gear does and how good it can sound.

Once you hear a variety of the better higher-end gear you'll be in a better position to hear what the difference are between high gain and low gain with the Piety.

When listening to high gain and low gain with the Piety you should be listening for the sense of space in the headstage, the sense of density in the sound and music, the sense of punch in the transients, and the sense of space around instruments in the mix. And things like that. Pretend you're stoned and listening, really listening, into the space in the recording and the feeling of the sound. That's when you'll start hearing what's different between high gain and low gain.
Why pretend? :)

May 14, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #1,367 of 1,640
It sounds like I have never listened to anything exceptional enough ...
Long enough, sounds like. It takes the Brain/Ear system a while to undo the learning it needs to process sounds. For example, 3 days to recover from music that's too loud.

If it were possible, I would say stop listening to any/all electronically reproduced music for a few months and/or any music passed through electronic devices.

After that, you'll hear what electronics lack fairly easily :wink:

May 14, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #1,368 of 1,640
Long enough, sounds like. It takes the Brain/Ear system a while to undo the learning it needs to process sounds. For example, 3 days to recover from music that's too loud.

If it were possible, I would say stop listening to any/all electronically reproduced music for a few months and/or any music passed through electronic devices.

After that, you'll hear what electronics lack fairly easily :wink:

What music would I listen to and how would I listen to it ?

May 14, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #1,369 of 1,640
Hey everyone, I received my Piety in early December (after accidentally managing to order it 3 days early and then having to reorder it on release date) and have used it since. It is my first headphone amplifier and it's great. Both high and low gain sound very nice but i prefer high gain due to the added bass impact. At first I was weirdly only able to tell the difference using IEMs, such as my tin t3 plus and Sennheiser ie200 but as my listening skills have improved (I've been in the audio hobby for almost a year and a half now), I've been able to hear the difference using my ATH-R70X. I originally bought it to use it with my Behringer UMC404HD because the headphone out on it had channel imbalance but now I use it more with my Hiby FC3 because it sounds much better as a DAC. I could probably improve my experience with the Piety by getting a better DAC, but regardless I've very much enjoyed it.

May 14, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #1,370 of 1,640
May 15, 2023 at 12:56 AM Post #1,371 of 1,640
What music would I listen to and how would I listen to it ?
Go to a symphony hall.
Learn to play an instrument.
A few taverns I've been to have actually had musicians without electronic devices.

Mostly, just listen to natural sounds. Like I said, not really practical advice.

May 18, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #1,372 of 1,640
FYI, it looks like there are a few Piety's available for purchase directly from the NITSCH website for $164.99. :L3000:

https://nitschsound.com/products/magni-piety
well, I jumped on board with an order! due on Saturday! i've been using a vali 2++ the past couple weeks. i'm really enjoying a couple new headphones: HD6xx and HE400i. rediscovering the joy of listening to my cd collection, which I recently ripped to flac files. I don't yet have a standalone DAC, but that may be on the horizon. I also got a near new Loki M+ in the mail just today.

May 18, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #1,373 of 1,640
well, I jumped on board with an order! due on Saturday! i've been using a vali 2++ the past couple weeks. i'm really enjoying a couple new headphones: HD6xx and HE400i. rediscovering the joy of listening to my cd collection, which I recently ripped to flac files. I don't yet have a standalone DAC, but that may be on the horizon. I also got a near new Loki M+ in the mail just today.
I've owned various headphone amps and I really like the Piety. I highly recommend the Modi Multibit 2 with the Piety. Great synergy. I use the Piety when I don't want to warm up the tubes on my Vahalla 2. I think you're going to like it. No flies on the Vali 2++, I had one. I prefer the Piety over the Asgard 3. Let us know how you like it after you get a little time on the Piety. Congrats! Do you live in valley?

Last edited by a moderator:
May 18, 2023 at 8:35 PM Post #1,374 of 1,640
I've owned various headphone amps and I really like the Piety. I highly recommend the Modi Multibit 2 with the Piety. Great synergy. I use the Piety when I don't want to warm up the tubes on my Vahalla 2. I think you're going to like it. No flies on the Vali 2++, I had one. I prefer the Piety over the Asgard 3. Let us know how you like it after you get a little time on the Piety. Congrats! Do you live in valley?
[/QUOT

It's a great sounding headphone amp. Enjoy!! 😊

May 19, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #1,375 of 1,640
nice to meet you and yes, I live in the valley (Ahwatukee). retired since 2004. i sprung today for a closeout modi 3e from Schiit. this will be first external sole purpose dac.

May 19, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #1,376 of 1,640
nice to meet you and yes, I live in the valley (Ahwatukee). retired since 2004. i sprung today for a closeout modi 3e from Schiit. this will be first external sole purpose dac.
Nice. The Modi 3E should work well with the Piety. I had a 3E, Schiit did a good job implementing the ES9018 after their supply of the AK4490 ran out. Nice overcast day in the desert.

May 19, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #1,377 of 1,640
Piety here is still kicking strong...Wonderful pairing with the latest Schiit Modi MB..D8000 Pro cans....Either hi or low gain...excellent.

1684516183066.png

May 19, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #1,379 of 1,640
A somewhat quick review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back