NIN-With Teeth
May 24, 2005 at 11:39 PM Post #17 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Isn't this like the 3rd thread started on this album already......??????

Actually I think it is the 5th
smily_headphones1.gif

Hell, NIN is a big artist that only releases work once every generation *sarcasm* so why not discuss it more than the usual it sucks/I love it comments? God knows, NIN forums are doing this, but I would love more input from mature listeners than the impassioned flames of youngish fanboys.

Right now, I think With Teeth is the weakest of Reznor's work, but time could change my opinion, and who really cares anyway.

It is still pretty good and a nice change of pace from the current retro garage new wave hip hop whatever stuff that is popular now.

That said, the mix of With Teeth is not of The Fragile quality in my opinion. while TF was more involved, there was an openess to the presentation that I enjoyed. A plastic sheen wraps With Teeth. The notes seem just a little mushed and not quite as pristine as I was hoping.

For example, The Line Begins to Blur annoys me more than anything. Perhaps Trent was referencing others a little too much on that track. Of course, I have never enjoyed megaphone bathroom stall voice effects.

May 25, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #18 of 46
I really like "With Teeth." It is not as good IMHO as "The Fragile" which is really a nine inch nails tour de force. My favorite songs on the new disc are "With Teeth" [though I hate that quiet part in the middle...] and "sunspots." I got the dualdisc version and the standard digipak CD. The dualdisc had given me problems in my CD-ROM drive in my laptop. It worked OK in my Jeep but I was afraid to try it in my other car because of reports that it could get stuck in that particular system. I am thinking about getting the Japanese import version with the three extra tracks...anything that Trent produces is always interesting and worth the time and money!

May 25, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #19 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb
I am thinking about getting the Japanese import version with the three extra tracks...

I don't know what the third bonus track is, but the two that are on the UK release are great - Home and Right Where It Belongs V.2 (acoustic/deconstructed version, wouldn't be out of place on the Still CD)

May 25, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #20 of 46
I just started listening to "With Teeth" and i gotta agree "the hand that feeds" is a stellar track as is "You know what you are?"

Believe it or not, i never gave "The Fragile" a chance. I should check it out again but i really am digging the more straight-forward direction "With Teeth" took in comparison to some of trents older work (same comparison to Garbage's new cd compared to older albums).

May 25, 2005 at 12:12 AM Post #21 of 46
The Fragile is Trent's masterpiece. Don't pass it by.

May 25, 2005 at 12:34 AM Post #23 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb
"...and all that could have been" is an excellent live album. I would highly recommend the DVD as well. [...it is unbelieveably good]

Best thing about that album is the second CD in the deluxe edition - "Still" - some great versions of great tracks.

May 25, 2005 at 1:49 AM Post #24 of 46
My Favorite track on With Teeth is "Right Where it Belongs". The line "If you look at your reflection is that all you want to be" made me swallow hard. Actually I got my wife to listen to my cans for really the first time listening to that track. When she first heard it we were in the car and she really didn't get the impact of the song at first. So once we got home I had her sit down in complete silence and shut her eyes and give it a good listen. A beautiful thing happened as I watched her loose herself in the music and a tear run down her check, now that is powerful.

In general I am digin' the album in general, but you have to admit when you hear the track "Only" at first it sounds like it is about to bust out into a ZZ Top song.
580smile.gif

May 25, 2005 at 1:55 AM Post #25 of 46
Ha! I just counted 79 Nails tracks that I have ripped on iTunes right now.
tongue.gif
Of course this is also including "Driver Down" and "I'm Deranged" from the Lost Highway soundtrack and "Burn" from Natural Born Killers soundtrack which is my favorite NIN track of all time.

May 25, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #26 of 46
Anybody hear the Japanese version yet? is it worth the extra bucks? "Right where it belongs" is such a good song that I'm real close to shellin' out the cash for another version of it.

May 25, 2005 at 2:59 PM Post #27 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
I agree, I have every NIN album and as with most artists I think his first (please no halo 1 arguments here) was the best. White Teeth has some solid tracks but track for track it just didn't do it for me but maybe I need to listen to it more. For a cd to really be exceptional almost every track should be radio worthy and I have not heard that from the "rock/metal" scene since Apartment 26 last album in 2/04. It is nice to have Trent back on the scene but again the album as a whole could have been better IMO.

Correction! I forgot about Rusty Nails, I might like that one better than PHM. Yes, I know it's a bootleg but I paid $30 for is used in Trents home state OH and anyone who has heard this will probably agree with me.

May 25, 2005 at 3:49 PM Post #28 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by crewchief
Ha! I just counted 79 Nails tracks that I have ripped on iTunes right now.
tongue.gif
Of course this is also including "Driver Down" and "I'm Deranged" from the Lost Highway soundtrack and "Burn" from Natural Born Killers soundtrack which is my favorite NIN track of all time.

i have 278
biggrin.gif

May 25, 2005 at 9:46 PM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by greyghost
Anybody hear the Japanese version yet? is it worth the extra bucks? "Right where it belongs" is such a good song that I'm real close to shellin' out the cash for another version of it.

I don't have it yet but I ordered it yesterday...I bought the Japanese version of Jeff Beck's "Jeff" and one of the two bonus tracks was worth the money all by itself...

PS I have 66 NIN songs in iTunes right now..."radio worthy" as a measure of high quality. The radio has nothing whatsoever to do with good music...especially with good NIN music!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back