NIN-With Teeth
May 23, 2005 at 3:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

EdipisReks

Banned
the more i listen to this album (the dualdisc version), the more i like it. there are some songs that really hit me pretty hard, like Beside You In Time. if not for The Hand That Feeds, i would say that all of the songs (yes, even the With-ah Teeth-ah, one
wink.gif
) were great. i know that a lot of people have bashed this album, but it's been getting more playtime lately than just about any of my cd's. to me, the album almost sounds more...mature than any of the others, including The Fragile, though TF is still probably my favorite. i hope that Trent continues to put out good music like this.

May 23, 2005 at 7:30 AM Post #2 of 46
I agree mate. Have you been using a dvd-audio player? I listen to this album in high res surround (with speakers) and stereo (with phones) and it's so much better than the cd/dolby version. I believe this was meant to be heard in high res surround, really loud. This is by far the best dvd-a I have heard yet and makes me really glad I got into dvd-a. When listening to 'right where it belongs' with headphones (high res) I close my eyes when the crowd noise starts and it tricks my brain into believing I'm right there on stage with Trent. Its' amazing.

May 23, 2005 at 7:42 AM Post #3 of 46
Sorry to go off topic (I am planning on getting the vinyl version of With Teeth), is the dvd layer of dual disc dvd-a, or is it unencoded 24 bit 192 khz pcm data?

May 23, 2005 at 8:53 AM Post #4 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by S_Dedalus
Sorry to go off topic (I am planning on getting the vinyl version of With Teeth), is the dvd layer of dual disc dvd-a, or is it unencoded 24 bit 192 khz pcm data?

I'm pretty sure it is DVD-A.

May 23, 2005 at 10:55 AM Post #5 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
the more i listen to this album (the dualdisc version), the more i like it. there are some songs that really hit me pretty hard, like Beside You In Time. if not for The Hand That Feeds, i would say that all of the songs (yes, even the With-ah Teeth-ah, one
wink.gif
) were great. i know that a lot of people have bashed this album, but it's been getting more playtime lately than just about any of my cd's. to me, the album almost sounds more...mature than any of the others, including The Fragile, though TF is still probably my favorite. i hope that Trent continues to put out good music like this.

You, sir, have great taste in music
biggrin.gif
Radiohead, Muse, King Crimson, Nine Inch Nails...anyway, yeah I've really gotten into this album (as I have with just about every NIN release since Pretty Hate Machine) - the standout track for me is Right Where It Belongs, quickly becoming one of my all-time NIN favourites. The alternate version of it that's a bonus track on the UK release is great too. There really isn't a disappointing track on the album though, I'm not actually a hater of The Hand That Feeds, rather I quite like it - if I had to point to one track as worse than the others it would be The Collector, it just doesn't do anything for me whereas THTF makes me bop like crazy
wink.gif

May 23, 2005 at 3:23 PM Post #7 of 46
The dvd side of the NIN dualdisc is DVD-Audio. Stereo is 24bit 96khz, surround is 24bit 48khz.

That said, not all dualdiscs are dvd-a or high res. For example all sony dualdiscs are 16bit 48khz. It would have been great if dualdisc dvds were dvd-a (high res) by specification. The official RIAA dualdisc book specifications can be found here;

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...umber=14932178

Hope that helps.

May 24, 2005 at 1:09 AM Post #9 of 46
my DVD drive (NEC ND-2100AD) wouldn't rip the CD side of the disc without being painfully slow and giving errors in EAC

luckily my CD-ROM drive (ASUS CD-S480/AH) had no problems

my portable player also has no problems but i already burned a copy so i only use the original for listening to the DVD side

May 24, 2005 at 1:45 AM Post #10 of 46
Definitely a great album! I just can't express that enough. Like most NIN albums I hear for the first time, some songs definitely rubbed me the wrong way, but after a couple plays, I love every song on the album. I'd say The collector is my least favorite song right now, but I'm sure I'll like it more with time. Right where it belongs is probably my favorite tracks too bubbamc, that same part gives me the chills every time I hear it!

May 24, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #11 of 46
I too love this album, my favorite so far is "everyday is exactly the same". Not super complicated, just a simple song that evokes lots of images.

May 24, 2005 at 2:47 AM Post #13 of 46
Yeppers, it is good. I wanted more pop out of Reznor and he read my mind, then delivered a pop masterpiece full of tight in/out songs for making out with your goth girlfriend and painting eachother's toenail's black.

How is it so good? Because my favorite track depends on the hour or my mood.

Current fave is sunspots. You got love Trent when he lets the noise drop enough for his insecurities to hit harder than Dave Grohl's kit.

May 24, 2005 at 11:23 AM Post #14 of 46
Isn't this like the 3rd thread started on this album already......??????

I don't recall people saying WT was bad in a general sense vs other artists, but several said it was not one of Trent's better albums (which is my take)

May 24, 2005 at 4:24 PM Post #15 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Isn't this like the 3rd thread started on this album already......??????

I don't recall people saying WT was bad in a general sense vs other artists, but several said it was not one of Trent's better albums (which is my take)

I agree, I have every NIN album and as with most artists I think his first (please no halo 1 arguments here) was the best. White Teeth has some solid tracks but track for track it just didn't do it for me but maybe I need to listen to it more. For a cd to really be exceptional almost every track should be radio worthy and I have not heard that from the "rock/metal" scene since Apartment 26 last album in 2/04. It is nice to have Trent back on the scene but again the album as a whole could have been better IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back