NIN: With Teeth tracklist + SAMPLE
Feb 13, 2005 at 4:27 AM Post #2 of 43
THAT is exactly why I and many more love NIN. The track list looks like a typical Reznor concept forthcoming...er outstanding Reznor concept forthcoming.

Pleaze god, bring the songcraft back.

plainface.gif

Feb 13, 2005 at 6:11 AM Post #3 of 43
wow..thanks for posting this. I've been looking forward to a new NIN cd for a while. And that sample sounds amazing. I hope it is one of the new tracks, as it sounds like another new direction Trent Reznor is taking. Can't wait!!!

Feb 13, 2005 at 7:00 AM Post #5 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal
THAT is exactly why I and many more love NIN. The track list looks like a typical Reznor concept forthcoming...er outstanding Reznor concept forthcoming.

Pleaze god, bring the songcraft back.

plainface.gif

Er, what?

Yeah let's bring back the crapty 80s pop songs from Pretty Hate Machine.

Down with progress/challenge/innovation!!

Feb 13, 2005 at 7:38 AM Post #6 of 43
Anybody else having trouble getting the sample to play? I just get a Quicktime logo that won't load...

Yes I have Quicktime installed.

EDIT Oops never mind...working now.
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2005 at 7:55 AM Post #7 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geist
Anybody else having trouble getting the sample to play? I just get a Quicktime logo that won't load...

Yes I have Quicktime installed.

EDIT Oops never mind...working now.
biggrin.gif

Impatience led to confusion led to an upgrade led to...me realizing I was an idiot.

Yea, I did the same thing.
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2005 at 1:35 PM Post #8 of 43
I have very low expectations for any new NIN album.........would love to be pleasantly surprised with good work. Almost certainly it will not be in the same league as his Hate Machine thru Downward Spiral albums, Trent has lost his muse.

Really only one album released in last 10 years "Fragile" and it is really collection of random different ideas drawn from previous albums over long period of time thrown together with some new stuff......not really a proper album for me, almost like a b side/outtakes collection

Interesting that Trent's pal Al Jourgensen's new Ministry album "House of Mole" is actually very good stuff even if not getting much attention in today's pathetic music scence......Al pretty much started the whole industrial metal scence back in 1988 with "rape & honey" setting template for many bands to emulate. He went through a real long dry spell from 1992-2003 when he came back big with "Animositisomina" so it can be done, but will Trent pull it off ????

Feb 13, 2005 at 2:12 PM Post #9 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by minya
Er, what?

Yeah let's bring back the crapty 80s pop songs from Pretty Hate Machine.

Er, what?

in context of the time, PHM was very groundbreaking. Yes, he "borrowed" from lots of different folks, but no one had put together a sound quite like NIN had back in 1989. Yes, it was very primitive compared to what came later, but it's still one of my favorites of that year. I'm sure it's probably a different experience to go back to it if it wasn't the first NIN you heard.. It's hard to describe the electricity in the clubs back in '89 when the DJ's started playing "Down In It" - and of course, in Cleveland we had the "our little secret" thing going for a while until he broke nationally.. then, of course, left town. What is it with people leaving Cleveland and THEN getting famous and winning superbowls... oh well.

-jar

Feb 13, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #10 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Interesting that Trent's pal Al Jourgensen's new Ministry album "House of Mole" is actually very good stuff even if not getting much attention in today's pathetic music scence......Al pretty much started the whole industrial metal scence back in 1988 with "rape & honey" setting template for many bands to emulate. He went through a real long dry spell from 1992-2003 when he came back big with "Animositisomina" so it can be done, but will Trent pull it off ????

Interesting, House of Mole is pretty good. I actually dug Filth Pig, could take or leave Dark Side of the Spoon.

But, as a seeker of pop trash, Twitch is still my all time fav.
very_evil_smiley.gif

The success of NIN over Ministry to me is the tale of brilliant marketing. NIN had a very cohesive strategy whether intented or not.

First, there is the simple, sheik logo. Got to have the cool logo. Second, the album art ever since Broken is exceptional. You can't leave out the tours which are visual feasts of destruction. And last but not least...the halo thing. What better way to get people to buy so so singles IMHO than bring the collector out in them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by minya

*L* I love the passion.

Sorry, I haven't found any NIN work since TDS very innovative or challenging.

The tracklist of With Teeth appears to be the Reznor anger leads to decay theme that has been there for a while. With titles like "All the Love in the World" leading to "Sunspots" to "Right Where it Belongs".

This all sounds grand, but the proof will be in the hooks. Fragile was grand hubris, but the foot tappers were gone.

IMHO NIN is just pop music dressed up in angry clothing. Take out the pop and you got nothing.

Just my opinion. I keep adding that because I know how seriously many take their NIN.
wink.gif

Feb 13, 2005 at 5:34 PM Post #11 of 43
Actually, yeah, NIN is pretty much angry pop music. But I don't care. Nobody makes angry pop music like Reznor does. I love it. I can get my innovation and experimentation elsewhere, but NIN will always remain a soft spot for me.

DarkAngel: The Fragile was hardly a collection of b-sides. I think it's his most cohesive and polished album yet.

- Chris

Feb 13, 2005 at 6:00 PM Post #12 of 43
I'm really curious to see where the new album's headed.

I was VERY impressed with the instrumentals on the Still disc (Disc 2 of the limited edition of And All That Could Have Been). The layers and textures he came up with were amazing, and I can see that even in the "heavier" teaser.

13 weeks is a loooooooong time to wait, though...

As for The Fragile, I remember reading somewhere that the original plan was to have one disc be the more traditional songs with the second disc being the "moody" instrumentals. I think it would've been a little cohesive if it had been split this way. But I find it hard to fault Left. Right is a little more hit or miss for me. But as a whole, I'm a big fan.

Feb 13, 2005 at 6:17 PM Post #13 of 43
BUT you can have both...right? Weren't the beatles, rolling stones, just pop bands?

I am hoping...for it. I like countless others, identify with the Reznor lost soul mystique and wish for his inclusion in the pantheon of greats.

But, he takes forever to release work, so the standard is elevated. I choose to hope that The Fragile was the difficult 2 disc transition album that he had to get out.

The signs can be promising. With Teeth appears to be tighter in scope and Trent, himself has claimed new vigor after working with Grohl.

I, too, am way soft for NIN. I have been there since the beginning. This investment gives weight to every release. I was never let down until The Fragile - a work that had merits, but just was lacking that certain something.

That sample gave me chills. Any NIN fan would get serious droolage checking that out. Whats up with drums? Dare I say electro? Let the analysis begin!
cool.gif

Feb 17, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #15 of 43
Any one remember Ministry's 1983 release Work For Love? I swear im the only person who owns it. It came before Twitch. It's absolutly terrible early 80's pop. Nothing unique or challenging about it. Ministry peaked for me right around Psalm 69.

That little teaser sounds good, but somehow familiar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back