Niimbus Ultimate Series US4/US4+/US5/US5 Pro Headphone Amps - by Lake People
May 8, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #1,757 of 1,782
Nothing to show this year as you can see on Instagram.

May 10, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #1,759 of 1,782
I'm curious how the US5 PRO will compare to the upcoming HeadAMP CFA3.
I'm sure they have completely different sounds.
Niimbus is the standard for crystal clear sound and the widest dynamic range, phenomenal speed of transient processes (with the correct gain settings).
СFA3, due to the higher preset gain, will have a warmer signature, greater sound density and lower dynamic range, less spatial effects.

At what gain do you listen to 1266 on Niimbus? What voltage is supplied to the Niimbus from the DAC?

May 10, 2024 at 6:33 PM Post #1,760 of 1,782
I'm sure they have completely different sounds.
Niimbus is the standard for crystal clear sound and the widest dynamic range, phenomenal speed of transient processes (with the correct gain settings).
СFA3, due to the higher preset gain, will have a warmer signature, greater sound density and lower dynamic range, less spatial effects.

At what gain do you listen to 1266 on Niimbus? What voltage is supplied to the Niimbus from the DAC?
+12 gain and 4.3 volts from the DAC.

May 10, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #1,761 of 1,782
May 10, 2024 at 7:01 PM Post #1,764 of 1,782
Usually around 12.
Niimbus produces the best sound when a comfortable volume level is achieved with the volume control position close to the maximum. Try setting the gain to +6 instead of +12. This should leave you with enough room to adjust the volume.
I see your DAC has separate outputs when running in preamp mode. Have you tried connecting the amplifier to these outputs and supplying the amplifier with more voltage from the DAC?

May 10, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #1,765 of 1,782
Niimbus produces the best sound when a comfortable volume level is achieved with the volume control position close to the maximum. Try setting the gain to +6 instead of +12. This should leave you with enough room to adjust the volume.
I see your DAC has separate outputs when running in preamp mode. Have you tried connecting the amplifier to these outputs and supplying the amplifier with more voltage from the DAC?
I have not. You think that would make it sound better?

May 10, 2024 at 7:06 PM Post #1,766 of 1,782
Also, I compared the Niimbus to the Cayin HA300b and liked the nimmbus more.
Cayin HA300b allows 1266 to better sound sub-bass and additionally gives emphasis to mid-frequencies and reduces the brightness of high frequencies. At the same time, Niimbus makes 1266 sound with amazing accuracy and speed, that's a fact.
I listen to 1266 with Niimbus more often.

May 10, 2024 at 7:16 PM Post #1,767 of 1,782
I have not.
I'm sorry. It seemed to me that you have a Cayin CS-100DAC. I made a mistake.

My experience says that the greater the voltage supplied to the amplifier allows you to set less gain on it.
Ideally, you need to apply such a voltage to the amplifier that the gain is set to “0” and the volume control is set to maximum values. It is important to remember that no more than 8.5 volts can be supplied to the amplifier from the DAC.

May 10, 2024 at 11:01 PM Post #1,770 of 1,782
Niimbus manual says it works best when the volume knob for normal listening levels are at 12 o'clock with the setted pregain. So you are good :)
This makes more sense to me, but ppl can have different preferences at some points

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back