Niimbus Ultimate Series US4/US4+/US5/US5 Pro Headphone Amps - by Lake People
Mar 23, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #1,651 of 1,729
Hello,
can anyone of you describe the sonic character of this TOTL amp ? Neutral with a hint of warmth / brightness, musical, smooth, forward / recessed mids (I'm just starting my audiophile journey :wink:
I'm interested in this thing (Niimbus US5 / US5 Pro) and would like to use it mainly with planar headphones from different brands....

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 9:12 PM Post #1,652 of 1,729
Hello,
can anyone of you describe the sonic character of this TOTL amp ? Neutral with a hint of warmth / brightness, musical, smooth, forward / recessed mids (I'm just starting my audiophile journey :wink:
I'm interested in this thing (Niimbus US5 / US5 Pro) and would like to use it mainly with planar headphones from different brands....
From my first impressions, coming off a v280 and auralic taurus at the time…..

There is great texture right across the board (spectrum wise). This adds a bit of weight to the sound.
Black background.
Increases the spotlight(s) to various parts of the stage so brings out more details because of that illumination.

Good, or bad, it also takes control of/impacts the headphones in terms of what they give, eg that texture/slightly fuller sound.
You could say it’s a slightly coloured amp because of that but I generally see it as adding that character as it influences/tilts the sound output, rather than totally colouring it.
This character doesn’t dominate the headphone but it does influence/impact it.

Not a neutral amp but not necessarily (over) warm.

TEXTURED, rather than dark.

Since buying the us4 for my susvaras (and utopias) i have not had a yearning for another ss amp.

As an additional point, i have heard some say the abyss 1266 tc has mids that are sucked out (ie v shape). I did not experience this when demoing them with this amp

Hope that helps

Imho
Ymmv
My 2 cents

Ps: coincidentally enough i was viewing John Darko’s review of the mola mola tambaqui dac yesterday and sound characteristics that he describes of the mola mola are very similar to how i hear the niimbus. I’m not saying they are the same quality or level as i have not heard the mola mola.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 6:45 AM Post #1,653 of 1,729
I can't aggre, for me Niimbus is really neutral amp all flavor comes from DAC. But i heard Taurus is rather bright amp so perspective may vary. V550 is definetly more warmer and dense amp than Niimbmus.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #1,655 of 1,729
A neutral amp can still be impactful / musical / engaging ?
Yes for sure it can. The Niimbus is definitley impactful. I use it with the 1266TCs and it sounds awesome to me. I would say it is a very neutral amp too.

Mar 24, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #1,656 of 1,729
I always thought niimbus was neutral until I compare it with HPA4 side by side. Niimbus sounded warmer to me, but it doesn't affect the fact that Niimbus is one of the best amps.

Mar 24, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #1,661 of 1,729
...too sad that this amp is flying under the radar on youtube (and the internet). I can't find any serious review of it. Anyway....
You are right. This amp has never been under the hype, at least that's what I have seen so far. Violectric/Lake Head People also seem to stay low profile without huge advertisements, but they do make good products.

Since you are in Germany, you will probably get a much better deal comparing to other part of the world.

Mar 24, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #1,664 of 1,729
One last question: How would you describe the soundstage of the Niimbus ?
Wide, narrow, holographic or does it depend what kind of headphone you plug in.... ?
I've got certain information all right, certain things can come to light... has it ever occurred to you that instead of uh you know asking around... given the nature of all this you know this could be a lot more uh uh uh complex I mean it's not just it might not be just as simple uh...
What in god's name I'm blabbering about?
Well I tell you what I'm blabbering about, I got information man...
Type in soundstage in the search bar!
...new crap will come to light man...

Mar 24, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #1,665 of 1,729
i had a ferrum stack and the niimbus us5 pro was the only solid state i considered an upgrade, at least in the under 10k range. i almost purchased one but then decided on tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back