Niimbus Ultimate Series US4/US4+/US5/US5 Pro Headphone Amps - by Lake People
Jan 12, 2024 at 5:04 AM Post #1,622 of 1,775
Yes, cable turn with the knob.
Bad design that wow. I always give mine a psychical turn around the 9 to 12 o'clock area as that is where the noise build up tends to be (where I use the vol the most using the remote)
Luckily its not been an issue for me yet.

Jan 12, 2024 at 5:20 AM Post #1,624 of 1,775
No, it's OK but when i try to rotate volume knob (no matter if i do it by hand or pilot) i get this volume bump.
i also have that on my v590 pro. over time the pro volume knob just get worst. 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️ annoying noise and increasingly bigger volume bump. i guess the non pro do not have this issue?

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 5:35 AM Post #1,625 of 1,775
i also have that on my v590 pro. over time the pro volume knob just get worst. 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️ annoying noise and increasingly bigger volume bump. i guess the non pro do not have this issue?
Previous I have US4 (non pro) and 0 issues. Now i have "nice" upgrade..

Did you try return it?

Jan 13, 2024 at 10:03 AM Post #1,626 of 1,775
How's the warranty on these if bought second-hand? I'm based in the UK, a dealer has one going for a respectable price (3.5k) but they themselves will only warranty it for 3 months.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #1,627 of 1,775
My copies have no problems with the volume control. I listened to 3-4 more copies of Vio 590 and Niimbus at my dealer. Everything was quiet, no problems.

Jan 13, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #1,628 of 1,775
I have spend today 2 hours with Niimbus US 5 (non-pro version) and the scratching sounds/noises when touching and moving volume pot are complete disqualification for an amp at this price level with word "premium" at at front panel left to the volume pot.

Indeed it is very transparent and dynamic amp but considering what is currently available on the market I haven't been in any way amazed with it.

I have been comparing it with T+A HA-200 side-to-side and only in a single track, Niimbus really excelled HA-200. I have been listening with Focal Utopia 2022 and Focal Stellia. Keep in mind in my opinion so far HA-200 had the best synergy with both Solitaire models. Utopias and Stellias were not on the same level with T+A cans, there is nothing wrong with them, but Solitaire sounds sublime with this dac/headphone amp.

Jan 13, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #1,629 of 1,775
I have spend today 2 hours with Niimbus US 5 (non-pro version) and the scratching sounds/noises when touching and moving volume pot are complete disqualification for an amp at this price level with word "premium" at at front panel left to the volume pot.

Indeed it is very transparent and dynamic amp but considering what is currently available on the market I haven't been in any way amazed with it.

I have been comparing it with T+A HA-200 side-to-side and only in a single track, Niimbus really excelled HA-200. I have been listening with Focal Utopia 2022 and Focal Stellia. Keep in mind in my opinion so far HA-200 had the best synergy with both Solitaire models. Utopias and Stellias were not on the same level with T+A cans, there is nothing wrong with them, but Solitaire sounds sublime with this dac/headphone amp.
The scratching is a result of the relay system in the volume control. It is different from the scratching some amps with an attenuated volume control can experience. It is actually part of a relay volume control.

Because niimbus is a 256 step volume control it has very fine steps or clicks. This makes each level of adjustment more audible. It is not a fault unique to the niimbus but rather a condition present on relay volume controls. It becomes more present when you flip the relays quickly. Because the niimbus has such fine volume control it clicks rapidly with a small adjustment resulting in the sound.

I experienced the same thing with the holo bliss kte, but that amp has less steps in the relay system and less fine volume control so it really only bothered me when I adjusted the volume quickly. I also just purchased a schiit kara and it has the same thing with the volume control. I hear a sound with each click on rapid adjustment with the kara as well. Like the bliss if I adjust slowly it isn't as noticeable. The headamp CFA3 that is coming out is also going to use a relay system.

Read up on different types of volume controls. You can eliminate the clicking by swapping to a manual volume control from the Niimbus US4. The relay control is considered an upgrade because of it's excellent accuracy and channel balance.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #1,630 of 1,775
Originally it surprised me as well. The niimbus articulates micro details like nothing else I have ever heard. I could swap out to a manual volume attenuator but I would be sacrificing the benefits of the relay system. Cheaper versions of rhe niimbus have a standard volume control and do not have the relays. You should also try messing with the gains switches on the back of the unit to set them up correctly for your headphones. The manual has info on it.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #1,631 of 1,775
With no music on or headphones connected turn the volume up and down quickly from min to max about 10 times.
This will clear the build up of whatever is causing it.
This will sort it for sometime then when you notice it start again do the same.
So finally I do that and it really works! Now i think sound it's even better, cleaner, refined with better dynamics but it can be a placebo.

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #1,632 of 1,775
I mean what about sending it in having it professionally cleaned or inquire how to do so. spraying or whatever if it's dust build up and no ocd type of issue.

Jan 14, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #1,633 of 1,775
The scratching is a result of the relay system in the volume control. It is different from the scratching some amps with an attenuated volume control can experience. It is actually part of a relay volume control.

Because niimbus is a 256 step volume control it has very fine steps or clicks. This makes each level of adjustment more audible. It is not a fault unique to the niimbus but rather a condition present on relay volume controls. It becomes more present when you flip the relays quickly. Because the niimbus has such fine volume control it clicks rapidly with a small adjustment resulting in the sound.

I experienced the same thing with the holo bliss kte, but that amp has less steps in the relay system and less fine volume control so it really only bothered me when I adjusted the volume quickly. I also just purchased a schiit kara and it has the same thing with the volume control. I hear a sound with each click on rapid adjustment with the kara as well. Like the bliss if I adjust slowly it isn't as noticeable. The headamp CFA3 that is coming out is also going to use a relay system.

Read up on different types of volume controls. You can eliminate the clicking by swapping to a manual volume control from the Niimbus US4. The relay control is considered an upgrade because of it's excellent accuracy and channel balance.
@newToAudio100 thank you for such a long writeup with explanation, however none of my desktop amps (with one exception: Mytek THX HPA which I treat more in terms of experimenting with THX than my daily headphone driver) have similar issues. Your explanation does not make this flaw smaller in my book. At the end of the day I do not care as customer that much about implementation but I do care about build and sound quality. At this price point this is simply poor performance in my book. My favourite solid state amp: AuroraSound HEADA has perfect volumen control using pot.

The reason why I sometimes keep adjusting volume is when using upsampling which can lower the sound volume few dbs for example so correctly working volume pot is a must for me. I understand your point of view and if it is fine with you I'm more than happy :) Enjoy the music :)

I'm just glad I haven't purchased Niimbus due to overall hype. Listen before you buy is a golden rule in audio for me.

Jan 15, 2024 at 10:31 AM Post #1,634 of 1,775
So finally I do that and it really works! Now i think sound it's even better, cleaner, refined with better dynamics but it can be a placebo.
I know it works for the reed build up when using the remote to turn the volume up and down on the pro.
Not sure how it would work on the non pro versions.
The connection is important. I have always done this with pots on amps and faders on DJ mixers to stop crackles and bad connections.

Jan 18, 2024 at 7:28 AM Post #1,635 of 1,775
Subbed, looking at lake people nimbus 5 pro. Positive vibes for the transparency and quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back