Niimbus Ultimate Series US4/US4+/US5/US5 Pro Headphone Amps - by Lake People
Dec 26, 2023 at 1:34 AM Post #1,606 of 1,796
I had this happen to me as well, light going out on the volume control. They replaced the unit under warranty so all is well. I hope it doesn't happen again!

Dec 26, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #1,607 of 1,796
Does the LED going off/out effect the sound of the amp. There’s no noise anymore with my volume control where the volume control was noisy when the LED was working. My amp sounds different since I turned it off and on but the LED is off on my volume knob. Is there a correlation?

Jan 2, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #1,609 of 1,796
After turn on my Niimbus i have quite high volume bump, it doesn't matter if i turn volume knob down or up, first turn after start always give that unpleasant thing. Anyone have that too in their Niimbus Pro?

Jan 2, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #1,610 of 1,796
You mean after you power it up it starts at a high volume no matter the position of the volume knob?

I got zero issues since autum 2018 actually

Jan 2, 2024 at 2:18 PM Post #1,611 of 1,796
You mean after you power it up it starts at a high volume no matter the position of the volume knob?

I got zero issues since autum 2018 actually
No, it's OK but when i try to rotate volume knob (no matter if i do it by hand or pilot) i get this volume bump.

Jan 3, 2024 at 6:01 AM Post #1,612 of 1,796
No, it's OK but when i try to rotate volume knob (no matter if i do it by hand or pilot) i get this volume bump.
With no music on or headphones connected turn the volume up and down quickly from min to max about 10 times.
This will clear the build up of whatever is causing it.
This will sort it for sometime then when you notice it start again do the same.

Jan 3, 2024 at 6:09 AM Post #1,613 of 1,796
With no music on or headphones connected turn the volume up and down quickly from min to max about 10 times.
This will clear the build up of whatever is causing it.
This will sort it for sometime then when you notice it start again do the same.
This can cause to break cable connection between volume knob and main board.

Jan 10, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #1,614 of 1,796
Jan 10, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #1,615 of 1,796
Yes and this is not a issue... Every US 5 PRO works this way. This is how the volume control in PRO is designed. (resistor ladder)
(256 steps by a reed replay attenuator)

For "silence" you have the normal US 5, which has an classic ALPS RK27 potentiometer
so the pro version attenuator is from which brand?

Jan 10, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #1,616 of 1,796
right but is there still an active builder?

There is but he mostly builds bigger stuff than a CFA3. I can ask him. Can take a few months though for him to build. Your call.

Jan 10, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #1,617 of 1,796
There is but he mostly builds bigger stuff than a CFA3. I can ask him. Can take a few months though for him to build. Your call.
you mean Dukei? asked him 2 weeks ago and he declined... me being a stranger... but another member friend of him offerd to ask for me...
thanks, good to know there is a chance... not in a hurry and said headfier suggested a BiPolar from Mjolnir...
I'm just struggling to convince myself of a SS HPamp being a substantial upgrade over Hypsos OOR (HM1 and 465 different story)
So a potential custom made CFA3 seemed tempting considering price VS US5 or imported Headamps upcoming version

Jan 10, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #1,618 of 1,796
No, it's not Dukei. There is better stuff than a cfa3 but it costs. Remember the headamp version also pays service, support, storage, parts replacements etc etc. At least it's direct sales. Then add tax, shipping, shipping back in case of support. I have done that with my Crimson and it's not the best feeling sending something to the US. Shipping costs a good sum too. It will always be a risk having customized stuff like multilayer pcb etc etc

For 5k and above I'd rather build something else and for the case I need support I can just show the builder's suggestions to a local repair guy.

This is also why I stopped buying specialized vintage gear like Parasound DACs. Not a lot of support around, especially in Germany.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #1,619 of 1,796
Alright, I also tend to buy locally...
If your About is up to date then Niimbus would be one better around 5k obviously.

Give me 2 more SS HP amps (you've tried) thanks...

Jan 11, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #1,620 of 1,796
This can cause to break cable connection between volume knob and main board.
Sorry for the late reply.
Turning the knob round tightens the cable until it comes away?
Or is it solder joints elsewhere?

1705007234708.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back