Niimbus Ultimate Series US4/US4+/US5/US5 Pro Headphone Amps - by Lake People
Dec 14, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #1,592 of 1,738
With all the import and taxes I'd rather have a CFA3 built here.

Dec 14, 2023 at 7:10 AM Post #1,595 of 1,738
@vonBaron I'm still very curious about Niimbus vs T+A HA200 comparison. What about Niimbus volume pot issues and scratch sound when changing volume? Are those issues have been fixed somehow?
HA-200 is very good AIO gear but worse amp than Niimbus. My volume pot don't scratch but clicks and crackles when i turn it, it always worse when I turn it on (cold start) but after few minutes settle down.

For me buying HA-200 has almost no sense, Sonnet Morpheus + Niimbus > HA-200.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 7:15 AM Post #1,596 of 1,738
With all the import and taxes I'd rather have a CFA3 built here.
But still i want to hear it first and i have almost 0% chance for that. Niimbus for me is almost perfect except this wonky volume control.

Dec 14, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #1,597 of 1,738
A CFA3 isn't really tempting to own but interesting to hear.

The only amp that is very tempting but very hard to build due to severe lack of components is the one a friend of mine built. Also it's huge, nothing for the desk at all. At a recent meet everyone preferred it over the Zähl.

Dec 14, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #1,598 of 1,738
The conclusion is if you want something significant better you must spend 2x on something like WA33/23 or Zahl.
At the point of the Niimbus and up is it really getting better? I think you can get better in regard to certain attributes but often at the expense of others. For example compared to a lot of other tube amps I'm sure wa33 is amoung the highest caliber and closest to solid state resolution but it will still have some coloration by nature compared to the Niimbus. I think it's really just about what you're going for at this point or even your mood that day.

Some days if the susvara isn't cutting it for me I'll use the abyss and be blown away. Then switch back to the susvara and be blown away again. That's the great thing about having a few different options. It also seems healthy to have some low end gear to enjoy from time to time to not forget how good the best stuff really is.

Dec 14, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #1,599 of 1,738
I noticed when I got the dac 200 that some words in songs I couldn't quite make out due to poor recordings became much more pronounced and I could hear the articulation much more clearly compared to the yggdrasil. The niimbus has further amplified this effect and there are some rough vocals/dialogue inserts during busy parts of songs that have refined themselves clearly without deducting from the rest of the recording. Great combination for precision and detail.

Dec 14, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #1,600 of 1,738
At the point of the Niimbus and up is it really getting better? I think you can get better in regard to certain attributes but often at the expense of others. For example compared to a lot of other tube amps I'm sure wa33 is amoung the highest caliber and closest to solid state resolution but it will still have some coloration by nature compared to the Niimbus. I think it's really just about what you're going for at this point or even your mood that day.

Some days if the susvara isn't cutting it for me I'll use the abyss and be blown away. Then switch back to the susvara and be blown away again. That's the great thing about having a few different options. It also seems healthy to have some low end gear to enjoy from time to time to not forget how good the best stuff really is.
Yes, mood is most important thing, sometimes even my 1266 annoying me.

Dec 14, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #1,601 of 1,738
The conclusion is if you want something significant better you must spend 2x on something like WA33/23 or Zahl.
would you say the Nimbus sits in between something like an Oor and Woo/Zähl?

Dec 25, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #1,605 of 1,738
The light on my volume knob just went off. Is this repairable or just a setting. The light on the volume knob went off completely when I turned off and on the amp to reset it.

You have to send it to service, it is known problem where cable to the volume LED after some time is broken. I think latest units are more reliable as there is some fix to this with wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back