Niimbus Ultimate Series US4/US4+/US5/US5 Pro Headphone Amps - by Lake People
Nov 4, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #1,381 of 1,790
Sounds very neutral to me. Bass is too polite and the highs are a bit edgy so hopefully will ease out with use.
People have said similar things about the susvaras. However in having both the niimbus us4 and susvaras i have not experienced that.

ymmv

Nov 5, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #1,382 of 1,790
Does anyone know what Nichicon grade of capacitors are used for AC power filtering? Doesn't look like any of the "Gold" series caps I've ever seen but I could be wrong.

20221103_235858.jpg

Nov 10, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #1,384 of 1,790
Has anyone here had any noise issues with the US5 pro? When I turn the Volume pot - I get crackling sounds. Happens both with music on or off. If anyone here has played guitar - it's sort of like a dirty guitar pot. I did some checking around - and was told to loosen the pot - and pull it away from the faceplate a smidgen, tried that with no luck. Heck I took the knob off completely and turned the pot with my fingers and still heard the crackling sound.

I'm in touch with the dealer I bought it from - and we're working through it, so far it's looking like I'll have to send it in for warranty repair. I assume that pot should be super quiet when I turn it.

The unit still sounds great otherwise, as long as I don't adjust the volume.

Nov 10, 2022 at 3:27 AM Post #1,386 of 1,790
Mine gets noisy after a while because I only use the remote.
I turn the pot by hand up and down fast for about 5 seconds and it clears it for a time.

Nov 10, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #1,387 of 1,790
I have the 4. Not the pro. No remote involved.

i have no noise or issue when manually turning the pot

Nov 10, 2022 at 3:59 AM Post #1,389 of 1,790
Has anyone here had any noise issues with the US5 pro? When I turn the Volume pot - I get crackling sounds. Happens both with music on or off. If anyone here has played guitar - it's sort of like a dirty guitar pot. I did some checking around - and was told to loosen the pot - and pull it away from the faceplate a smidgen, tried that with no luck. Heck I took the knob off completely and turned the pot with my fingers and still heard the crackling sound.

I'm in touch with the dealer I bought it from - and we're working through it, so far it's looking like I'll have to send it in for warranty repair. I assume that pot should be super quiet when I turn it.

The unit still sounds great otherwise, as long as I don't adjust the volume.

Yes and this is not a issue... Every US 5 PRO works this way. This is how the volume control in PRO is designed. (resistor ladder)
(256 steps by a reed replay attenuator)

For "silence" you have the normal US 5, which has an classic ALPS RK27 potentiometer

Nov 10, 2022 at 4:01 AM Post #1,390 of 1,790
Yep, totally normal. Volume controls matter for sound. Rather have good sound and "suffer" noise when adjusting volume than not reap most benefits of the amp's design.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #1,391 of 1,790
But is a “crackling sound”, as described by @acguitar84 , what you other guys here or is it more of a click than a crackle for you guys?

Nov 10, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #1,393 of 1,790

Users who are viewing this thread

Back