Niimbus Ultimate Series US4/US4+/US5/US5 Pro Headphone Amps - by Lake People
Aug 13, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #798 of 1,729
Is it really worth the cost of trading up from my V281 to a Niimbus?
It’s a luxurious upgrade

Whether it is worth the value depends on your circumstances

More texture, illumination.

More expensive.

Aug 13, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #801 of 1,729
Aug 13, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #803 of 1,729
The treble in the US5 Pro is better than in my previous US4, but the advantages end there, the midrange lacks the resolution, separation and air that I had on the US4, the soundstage also seems narrower and the dynamics are worse. If nothing changes after 100h i probably sell US5 Pro and get US5. Despite everything, I am optimistic.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #805 of 1,729
Some words about the differences between Niimbus US 4 / US 4+ / US 5 / US 5 Pro

The audio circuitry and power supply circuitry is totally identical on all 4 items.
This concerns the inputs (although US 4 offers less inputs), the line outputs, the headphone amps, the power supply.
Nothing is made "cheaper" inside US 5 or US 5 Pro compared to the US 4 or US 4+.
But the market situation for parts is really thrilling in the moment.

These are the differences:
US 4: one unbal. input missing, no remote control, volume control with RK27, no balance control, no Pentaconn socket
US 4+: remote control, volume control with RK168 and 256-step reed-relay attenuator, balance control, no Pentaconn socket
US 5: remote control, volume control with motorized RK27, balance control, Pentaconn socket
US 5 Pro: remote control, volume control with RK168 and 256-step reed-relay attenuator, balance control, Pentaconn socket

US 4 and US 5 will show definetely no sound differences - same circuitry, same volume control
US 4+ and US 5 Pro will also show no sound difference - same circuitry, same volume control
Between US 4/US 5 and US 4+/US 5 Pro there are sound differencs because of differing volume controls

And yes, the law/travel of the volume control between US 4/US 5 and US 4+/US 5 Pro is also differing because ist diffferent technology.

Have fun and enjoy, Fried

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #806 of 1,729
Very exciting. I wait my US 5 Pro with anticipation. I expect it will be nicer than my Taurus Mk2 which sounds good itself. I am also expecting an Abyss 1266 Phi TC which should be nice. I currently use mostly my LCD4 headphones. Does anyone know how well a Danacable Lazuli Nirvana cable will mate with the Abyss compared to the JPS SC cable?

Aug 13, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #807 of 1,729
Yeah give it a burn :fire: first...

Aug 13, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #808 of 1,729
Some words about the differences between Niimbus US 4 / US 4+ / US 5 / US 5 Pro

The audio circuitry and power supply circuitry is totally identical on all 4 items.
This concerns the inputs (although US 4 offers less inputs), the line outputs, the headphone amps, the power supply.
Nothing is made "cheaper" inside US 5 or US 5 Pro compared to the US 4 or US 4+.
But the market situation for parts is really thrilling in the moment.

These are the differences:
US 4: one unbal. input missing, no remote control, volume control with RK27, no balance control, no Pentaconn socket
US 4+: remote control, volume control with RK168 and 256-step reed-relay attenuator, balance control, no Pentaconn socket
US 5: remote control, volume control with motorized RK27, balance control, Pentaconn socket
US 5 Pro: remote control, volume control with RK168 and 256-step reed-relay attenuator, balance control, Pentaconn socket

US 4 and US 5 will show definetely no sound differences - same circuitry, same volume control
US 4+ and US 5 Pro will also show no sound difference - same circuitry, same volume control
Between US 4/US 5 and US 4+/US 5 Pro there are sound differencs because of differing volume controls

And yes, the law/travel of the volume control between US 4/US 5 and US 4+/US 5 Pro is also differing because ist diffferent technology.

Have fun and enjoy, Fried
Oh no! I really liked how my US4 sounds and i don't really like how US5 Pro sound. RK168 is very cheap volume control so why US5 Pro cost so much vs US5?

Aug 13, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #809 of 1,729
Everything that is wrong with summit-fi mentality in one post.

Do you realize how different the actual implementation is or how distinctly different both the volume pots work in the corresponding amps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back