Niimbus Ultimate Series US4/US4+/US5/US5 Pro Headphone Amps - by Lake People
Aug 12, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #781 of 1,757
Conspiratorial theory: Maybe the components in US5 (Pro) are of lower quality than the previous US4 (+) due to covid (parts problem). Currently, the sound of the US5 Pro is to my ears somewhere between my previous US4 and the V550 Pro. I just hope I'm wrong.
I just looked up the word paranoia in the dictionary and it had you’re comments. LOL

Aug 12, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #782 of 1,757
that is extremely disappointing..I briefly had a 550 which I had to return due to a malfunction so I couldnt properly ascertain its merits but what I did hear didnt overly impress
I hope it is only a lack of warm-up of the new unit, in the end I was paying for the Niimbus, not the V550.

Aug 12, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #784 of 1,757
Whatever dude... They themselves admitted that they had a problem with parts.
First of all I was joking. Second of all do you really think they would use inferior parts because of the shortage of the parts that they would normally use, and jeopardize the sound of their amps, which would also affect future sales, as well as lose their integrity. You’re out of your mind, dude.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #785 of 1,757
They would not ship out inferior products. It would be terrible for business. Does the amp not come with warranty? If it sounds inferior after some play time then send it back. It probably needs burn in but the fact that the volume is different from the demo 5 Pro you had is suspicious.

Aug 12, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #786 of 1,757
It's a bit strange how the potentiometer in my US5 Pro is calibrated, to get the desired volume level I have to turn the knob to almost half of the scale. Neither on my previous US4 nor in the US5 Pro demo did I have to turn the potentiometer so high (see my previous posts). In all of them my gain was set to 0.
Unless you've somehow changed the gain of the source or loads (speakers), the answer may be that Violectric used a logarithmic volume pot in the US5 Pro.

If that's the case (and I don't know that it is), the advantage is you'll gain a lot more range of adjustment in low- to medium-volume listening. The disadvantage would be that once you crank it to moderately loudness, it'll only take another few mm of pot rotation to get to "extremely loud."

I haven't known Violectric to use logarithmic pots in any amps. The volume pots in my V281 & Lake People G109-A aren't logarithmic. But one never knows...these are wholly new designs.

Aug 12, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #794 of 1,757
Aug 12, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #795 of 1,757
Volot looks nice on paper but is too big and ugly rest i don't even know.
Only SS amp who can match Niimbus is Bakoon imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back