Niimbus Ultimate Series US4/US4+/US5/US5 Pro Headphone Amps - by Lake People
Dec 18, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #406 of 1,783
Only Dave? What about the Sonnet Audio Morpheus? The Denafrips Terminator? Yjr Rockna Wavelight? My point is that new (not to mention "cheaper") options in DACs are always coming by the dozen, so there's absolutely no need to be dogmatic in recommending "Dinosaurs" as if they're the only game in town...

Okay, I am not saying the the Dave is a Dinosaur, since it is obviously not, but it is too damn expensive, and I'm betting that one does not need to spend that much in the present overcrowded DAC market to get a performance that rivals the Dave. Nothing against the Dave, which is obviously a great DAC. I just think that DAC technology us evolving very fast, and that there are new iterations on the horizon that could rival or even outpace grand uncles in the field, such as THE DAVE, if one gives them the opportunity to show and strut their stuff. Just saying...
Didn’t have a chance to check them with Niimbus and Susvara, I am recommending this what I have heard with my own ears. Yes it is a bit old, yes it is still very expensive, but it is also still very good especially with M-scaler.

Dec 24, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #407 of 1,783
Rockna Wavelight
Sonnet Morpheus. It replaced my Metrum Pavane Level 3. Built by the same person that did the other Metrum products.

Maybe Project86 can chime in. He has an upcoming review of it in Darko.
+1. (actually + 2 since @thecrow is already a fan of the NOS DACs of Cees)
Note sure if you can find used Dave in your budget, but this was great partner for Niimbus and Susvara.

thanks for all your reposnses

i hadn’t read anything about the Rockna Wavelight
so i shall read up on that

the morpheus was the obvious selection if i stay on the same path when the time is right to change dacs - i have had a huge upheaval in my setup (including $$$) recently on getting my niimbus us4 and susvara

if i was to leave my beloved hex dac (which would be hard to do as these are being sold too cheap on the used market - from a sellers perspective imho) i would probably want a dac with the same level of layering and space but i would probably be looking for a dac with a bit less warmth or “analogue” sound as i feel the niimbus brings some of that already. I would be happy to trade some of that for more detail and a bit more neutrality

in what i have read the morpheus might be that option

I think i mentioned earlier that i demoed the chord hugo tt2 with my previous taurus amp and did not find a substantial enough difference to go from my hex to the tt2 (without m scaler) and the qutest fell short of what i am looking for and what i already have. Though i do appreciate that i am used to listening to my setup and that skews my impressions

though i have never heard the dave that does have me intrigued but I can’t see myself having my budget meet the price of even a second hand one.

i really can’t complain about my setup as i am very happy with it though dac options do leave me intrigued/wondering to some extent because there is not much chance to listen to many of them around here

again thanks for your input and if i get a chance to demo the sonnet or Rockna Wavelight then i shall

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #408 of 1,783
looking for ideas on dacs for the us4

i currently have the us4 paired with a metrum hex dac. The hex is serving me well with a great “analogue sound” - superb with my woo wa2 and hd800 and other amps i have used

i’m wondering if there might be a better pairing dac i should consider with the us4, particularly with the susvara

budget is probably about $5k usd, maybe a bit more as i can keep an eye out for 2nd hand gear

if you have had personal experience with something quite special do let me know

i’m probably looking for a dac with great detail amd spaciousness and not too much control since the niimbus brings a bit of that anyway and so does my current dac

and happy to look outside the usual group of daca that come up inside the land of headfi

(I’ll probably walk into a local non headphone store in the new year and see what they think too)

thanks in advance

ps i have demoed the qutest a few tines and that did not better what i had and i found the hugo tt2 was on a similar level of the hex dac i have so probably no need to go there
a friend has the dcs debussy dac so i may have a listen to that to see what that brings
Maybe this?

Dec 28, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #409 of 1,783
Anyone used the matrix audio element x (or other element units) as a dac into the niimbus?

Jan 2, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #410 of 1,783
Anyone with experience using niimbus with MScaler Dave and 1266TC? I know there’s a lot of Susvara fans here but have not heard much about synergy with the 1266TC. Also ZMF Verite Closed? Who would be the best dealer for the US?

edit: Oh and lastly, was the volume knob noise issue ever solved?

Jan 2, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #411 of 1,783
Anyone with experience using niimbus with MScaler Dave and 1266TC? I know there’s a lot of Susvara fans here but have not heard much about synergy with the 1266TC. Also ZMF Verite Closed? Who would be the best dealer for the US?

edit: Oh and lastly, was the volume knob noise issue ever solved?
My us4 has no noise so i guess you mean the us4+

Jan 2, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #415 of 1,783
apparently they pulled them off the market until march

Jan 3, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #417 of 1,783
same issue with the 281 and the schiit ragnarok etc

Jan 5, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #420 of 1,783

Users who are viewing this thread

Back