Niimbus Ultimate Series US4/US4+/US5/US5 Pro Headphone Amps - by Lake People
May 23, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #676 of 1,796
I don’t known if these are correct rrp (ie usual listed) prices of the 4 and 4+, or if they have stock or even who this store is as i am in autralia but i found this

https://audiocranium.com/collections/nimbus/products/copy-of-nimbus-us-4-headphone-amp

https://audiocranium.com/collections/nimbus/products/nimbus-us-4-headphone-amp

4+ is $6k
4 is $4.5k
and i see on powerholdings site, which is usually rrp
5 pro is $6.4
5 is $5.8

so there is price hike for the extra set of inputs, 4.4 output and remote (and motorised alp) on the 5 vs the 4 of $1300
and for the extra 4.4 connector on us 5 pro it is an extra $400 relative to the 4+

so no FREE upgrades from 4/4+ to 5/5 pro
Best deal seems 5 for $5.8 compared to 4+ for $6k, same functionality with extra 4.4 connector, motorised potentiometer instead of relay volume control not so important for me.

May 23, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #678 of 1,796
Yes. The buttons on the back don’t bother me at all

But the remote………

Have you actually inquired with @fdg about the possibility of adding some kind of retrofitted remote to your US4, even if you need to resort to some Universal remote which can learn the main "tricks" of the US4? My own V281 originally arrived without a remote and I had to send it to @ArthurPower to have the remote added (with an optional choice between standard or relay volume control receptivity added to the V281). Now that seems like ancient history, which makes it all the more surprising that Fried would make a new SOTA flagship (US4) with all options of any retrofitted remote completely banished from it! That seems and sounds sooooooo decidedly 20th century, it is not even funny. We might as well call the US4 the "stone age" edition of the Niimbus if that were the case. It is definitely worth asking @fdg and @ArthurPower about this possibility, in my opinion.

0U3iiHIpniZkArDyREDsN.gif
GOD%20zl%20rzezb%20small.gif

I am just going on the hunch that if a retro-added remote was possible for the "ancient" V281, then it ought to be possible for the US4 as well. Of course it is possible the operation could be too complicated and prohibitively expensive to be considered "practical" by many people, but that would be an entirely different story. I could also be totally wrong about this, but I am just saying it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Just my. 2c

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #679 of 1,796
Have you actually inquired with @fdg about the possibility of adding some kind of retrofitted remote to your US4, even if you need to resort to some Universal remote which can learn the main "tricks" of the US4? My own V281 originally arrived without a remote and I had to send it to @ArthurPower to have the remote added (with an optional choice between standard or relay volume control receptivity added to the V281). Now that seems like ancient history, which makes it all the more surprising that Fried would make a new SOTA flagship (US4) with all options of any retrofitted remote completely banished from it! That seems and sounds sooooooo decidedly 20th century, it is not even funny. We might as well call the US4 the "stone age" edition of the Niimbus if that were the case. It is definitely worth asking @fdg and @ArthurPower about this possibility, in my opinion.

I am just going on the hunch that if a retro-added remote was possible for the "ancient" V281, then it ought to be possible for the US4 as well. Of course it is possible the operation could be too complicated and prohibitively expensive to be considered "practical" by many people, but that would be an entirely different story. I could also be totally wrong about this, but I am just saying it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Just my. 2c
I love those gifs

May 23, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #680 of 1,796

Just my. 2c
i won't bother about it at the moment but i had not even thought about that
but thanks for the idea though

May 23, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #684 of 1,796
There is no webshop but a european dealers list. I ordered here musicnetwork
Very good price in € :relaxed: If I can get one in Europe and the shop ships to Spain, would be marvellous, because where I live we are exent from VAT (we have our particular taxes that are 7% of total)

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #685 of 1,796
Very good price in € :relaxed: If I can get one in Europe and the shop ships to Spain, would be marvellous, because where I live we are exent from VAT (we have our particular taxes that are 7% of total)
Ask there for Franco Stuppia, he is very helpful.

May 27, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #686 of 1,796
Niimbus for warm headphones are not the best option, headphones like Sonorus X or Hifiman R10 don't play well with it.

Jun 13, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #687 of 1,796
There is no webshop but a european dealers list. I ordered here musicnetwork
I wonder whether as many people are jumping on that discounted US4 as they ought to (in my opinion, at least). Speaking of which, were I to opt for the US4 as against a US4+ or one of the US5 models, just in the interest of getting a better deal on the $$$ front, what relative disadvantage might come with that choice, assuming I can live with the idea of not having a remote or relay volume option?

I would be interested in using the pre-amp in driving speakers in an HT system, but that pre-amp will be functioning almost exclusively in the "Pre fader" mode, so is there some other advantage that I am going to miss if I do not have the US4+ version?

The headphones to drive : Susvara, He6SE, and LCD-4 (Audeze)

Jun 13, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #688 of 1,796
I wonder whether as many people are jumping on that discounted US4 as they ought to (in my opinion, at least). Speaking of which, were I to opt for the US4 as against a US4+ or one of the US5 models, just in the interest of getting a better deal on the $$$ front, what relative disadvantage might come with that choice, assuming I can live with the idea of not having a remote or relay volume option?

I would be interested in using the pre-amp in driving speakers in an HT system, but that pre-amp will be functioning almost exclusively in the "Pre fader" mode, so is there some other advantage that I am going to miss if I do not have the US4+ version?

The headphones to drive : Susvara, He6SE, and LCD-4 (Audeze)
I believe they are the same apart from the relay volume and remote (and extra input)

you can send Arthur at powerholdings an email as he is good at responding

Jun 17, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #690 of 1,796

Users who are viewing this thread

Back