Nick Drake in Stereophile
Sep 10, 2001 at 11:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mackay maus

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all;

There's an article on Nick Drake in the recent Stereophile. I thought it was quite well balanced and informative.

Matthew

Sep 29, 2001 at 5:35 AM Post #5 of 9
morph, where did you see the SBM remasters? I have the remastered box set -- are these even newer remasters? If so, ugh -- I have to buy three *more* copies of these albums
wink.gif

Sep 29, 2001 at 3:06 PM Post #6 of 9
I bought them at Borders. I believe they are the same as in the box set, but I am not absolutely positive. Each one has a seperate cardboard cover over the plastic CD case. They are distributed by Hannibal and have the numbers HNCD 4434, HNCD 4435, and HNCD 4436 for Five Leaves Left, Bryter Later and Pink Moon, respectively. I was actually going to buy the box set but then I decided to buy them 1 at a time so I could fully appreciate each one now that I rediscovered Nick. I'm not sure if I am going to buy Time of No Reply. How do you like that one compared to the others?

Sep 29, 2001 at 4:34 PM Post #7 of 9
I own the box set, and I don't recall it saying anything about SBM. There was a sticker on the box that said something like: "Newly re-mastered with 24-bit resolution". 24 bits on a 16 bit CD? Who knows.

Time of No Reply sadly has NOT been remastered. Several of the songs are home demos taped on very lo-fi equipment so they would not really benefit anyway.

However, TONR contains songs from Drake's fabled "last session", recorderd AFTER Pink Moon by the same excellent engineer that did all his stuff. These songs are harrowing, frightening, mournful, and raise the hair on the back of your neck even more than Pink Moon. "Black Eyed Dog", Nick's "farewell" to the world is absolutely essential and is on TONR. One wishes that track at least was remastered. Positively chilling. When you ponder how someone capable of creating such beauty could despair so deeply at the end, you can't help but be moved deeply.

markl

Sep 29, 2001 at 6:14 PM Post #8 of 9
Whew, looks like I have the latest (markl is remembering when I bought these, me trying to figure out if they were the remasters
wink.gif
).

As for TONY, mark is right on -- the sound quality isn't nearly as good, but there is some great stuff on there.

I would recommend that you get the box set, if only because the included book is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back