Nice headphone/Head-Fi article at positive-feedback.com
Mar 21, 2004 at 11:41 PM Post #2 of 16
That is a nice article -- really enjoyed it, thanks.

Mar 22, 2004 at 12:08 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Headfiers are a fun bunch for the most part

...then there's us
very_evil_smiley.gif

Interesting read, thanks for pointing it out.

Mar 22, 2004 at 1:40 AM Post #5 of 16
Thanks all, for the nice comments.

I think it was better before it was edited, but then I always do.
tongue.gif
evil_smiley.gif

This article is my ode to Headfi. As I, unfortunately, will only be an infrequent visitor from now on. I just cannot shake my ear problem. It is not nearly as bad with speakers, so I am going to have to stick with them as my way of listening.

I kept hoping that this problem would eventually go the way of the Dodo, but as Hirsch can attest, I have been battling this problem for a long time, and I just can't take it anymore. It has cost me some bucks too, but at least a couple of members here have benefited from my difficulties. As Walt Disney always says, "It's the Circle of Life." He did say that didn't he?
wink.gif

I have two more headphone amp reviews that will be appearing in PFO in the near (?) future and that will probably be it for headgear. That said, Carlo and Owen Meany will carry on without me (and most likely not missing me either!).

I appreciate all the help so many here have given me as I navigated the uncharted headphone waters. It was quite an eye-opener for me. I will continue to stop by every so often to see what's happenin', and perhaps to sell one or two things...

Cheers to all,
Gary

Mar 22, 2004 at 2:18 AM Post #6 of 16
I enjoyed that. I guess there's something to a decent headphone rig after all!
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

Great read.

Mar 22, 2004 at 2:41 AM Post #8 of 16
Great article gbeard!

Can you explain your ear pain in more detail for me? The reason I ask is because I've been experiencing ear pain as well. I don't listen to music very loud at all, but about a month ago, I started experiencing ear pain after listening to HD590s. It's gotten better, mainly because I've limited my listening sessions, but I can still feel it a little bit after listening for like an hour or so. It's hard to describe the pain, but I guess it feels like it comes from deep within the ear...like I've vigorously scratched my eardrums or something. And when my ear hurts, it's painful to listen to highs, which is the main reason I sold my 590s. I thought it might have been the start of tinnitus, but I don't get any ringing, just some irritation. Does this sound similar to your condition?

Mar 22, 2004 at 3:58 AM Post #9 of 16
Originally by ghesekki Quote:

Can you explain your ear pain in more detail for me?

Well, it is a bit as you've described. Pain from within the ear. My estation (sic) tubes get blocked and both ears hurt. I blew the right one out during an airline flight a few years ago, so it is even worse. I do have tinnitus as well, but the pain is what is so bothersome.

The treble bothers me for sure, even with speakers sometimes, but it is the sound (air?) pressure created by headphones that really bothers me. If I listen to one cd, my ears hurt for a day or two. The doc has prescribed a steroid nasal med for me and it has definitely helped, but I know it is time to retire from high end headphones. Just when I was gettin' the hang of it all too. Dang the luck!
frown.gif
Can't fool around with the old ears though, good thing I still have my speakers. I guess they'll have to do.
wink.gif

Mar 22, 2004 at 4:10 PM Post #11 of 16
Nice article, Gary. We'll miss you around these parts...

Mar 22, 2004 at 5:29 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by gbeard
but as Hirsch can attest, I have been battling this problem for a long time

If you read the article, the MicroZOTL mentioned in it is the one I had for a long period. Gary got me started on tube rolling with that amp. Just for that, I'm going to make a suggestion.
evil_smiley.gif
Gary, you might want to try the AKG K-1000. It's wide open design has the drivers reasonably far from the ear, and there's nothing even faintly resembling a seal. Air pressure is just about eliminated with these.

Mar 23, 2004 at 6:52 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by gbeard
I think it was better before it was edited, but then I always do.
tongue.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Wow, I thought I was the only one who liked their articlees better before the editors hacked them up.

Great job Gary. I enjoyed reading this article. I have begun more and more to preach two things here: source first, and music is what it's all about. Bad sources abound, and are the last item looked at far too often. I also noticed a trend toward spending too much money on toys without expanding the music selection along with it. Your article was a nice reminder to keep an eye on our priorities and make sure that we stay focused on enjoying our music, and not lose that in searching for the "ultimate system".

Sorry to hear that your ears have been having problems recently. I hope that they cure up and that you can once again get a great headphone amp and enjoy your headphones.

OBTW, kee this line from your article in mind: Quote:

I truly enjoy listening to headphones, and have found that they are a viable alternative to speaker-based systems.

I think you will see it again very soon over at SoundStage!. I submitted an article with almost this exact sentence in it a little over a week ago. We'll see if the editors remove it.

Mar 23, 2004 at 7:05 PM Post #15 of 16
Cool article! I posted it at "the ipod studio", too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back