NF Audio impression thread.
Apr 13, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #1,126 of 1,292
With the addition of the Penon Globe to my collection, I have been re-evaluating my other IEMs and last night A/Bd the NM2+ with the LZ A7. I was absolutely astounded at how close they are in capabilities. If the A7 is a steal at $300, the NM2+ has got to be one of the most ridiculously undervalued IEMs on the market.

Can't wait to see what they did with the NA2+.

Apr 13, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #1,127 of 1,292
With the addition of the Penon Globe to my collection, I have been re-evaluating my other IEMs and last night A/Bd the NM2+ with the LZ A7. I was absolutely astounded at how close they are in capabilities. If the A7 is a steal at $300, the NM2+ has got to be one of the most ridiculously undervalued IEMs on the market.

Shenzhenaudio on twitter is labeling it as a relaxed and laid back IEM for casual listeners who don't care much about details and all.

Apr 13, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #1,129 of 1,292
It is not surprising as NA series is their lineup of casual IEM whereas NM series is their lineup of studio monitoring and reference tuning IEMs. If you like NM series then there are chances that you may not find NA series IEMs to your liking.

Apr 13, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #1,130 of 1,292
It is not surprising as NA series is their lineup of casual IEM whereas NM series is their lineup of studio monitoring and reference tuning IEMs. If you like NM series then there are chances that you may not find NA series IEMs to your liking.
Sure, I’m not surprised they went for a more relaxed tuning just surprised that it seems to have taken a big step back in technicalities, unless I am misunderstanding now multiple descriptions.

Maybe this is a confirmation of the theory some people have had that the NM2+ relies heavily on its bright tuning to achieve its technical prowess.

Apr 13, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #1,131 of 1,292
Sure, I’m not surprised they went for a more relaxed tuning just surprised that it seems to have taken a big step back in technicalities, unless I am misunderstanding now multiple descriptions.

Maybe this is a confirmation of the theory some people have had that the NM2+ relies heavily on its bright tuning to achieve its technical prowess.
NA series is not as technical as NM series if we go by the way NF Audio defines their lineup. So, maybe they're using similar IEMs with minor tweaks and selling them as NA and NM IEMs.

Apr 13, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #1,132 of 1,292
Difference between NA2 and NM2 is NM2 is a bit more v-shaped, a tiny bit more bass, a bit more treble with the 5kHz peak accentuated the most over the NA2. It's basically the same IEM tuned slightly differently.

NM2+ has got a bit more energy at 2.5kHz than NM2 and significantly less bass than both NA2 and NM2. NM2+ has a better shell and maybe a better, updated, but similar driver as all peaks are exactly at the same place as the other two.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #1,133 of 1,292
Some interesting stuff from these reviews (same person):

NM2+ review: https://t.cj.sina.com.cn/articles/view/2630221700/9cc5ff8400100o80o
NA2+ review: https://t.cj.sina.com.cn/articles/view/7068772216/1a554e778001019014?cref=cj

Graphs from an IEC711 coupler:
Ey2rlR5UYAARgZJ.jpg
nm2.png

Using WPD I could plot both on REW:vv.png

Given the resonance peak for one graph is at 10K and the other at ~9K I'd take it with a grain of salt treble-wise since it was measured using different insertion depths. But personally, I'll wait for more graphs. I'd expect less pinna gain or more bass boost since the reviewer is saying it's a touch warmer. Could be something else, of course, but... I'm not convinced to pull the trigger looking at these graphs.

Apr 13, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #1,134 of 1,292

NM2+ review: https://t.cj.sina.com.cn/articles/view/2630221700/9cc5ff8400100o80o
NA2+ review: https://t.cj.sina.com.cn/articles/view/7068772216/1a554e778001019014?cref=cj

Ey2rlR5UYAARgZJ.jpg
nm2.png

Using WPD I could plot both on REW:vv.png

Given the resonance peak for one graph is at 10K and the other at ~9K I'd take it with a grain of salt treble-wise since it was measured using different insertion depths. But personally, I'll wait for more graphs. I'd expect less pinna gain or more bass boost since the reviewer is saying it's a touch warmer. Could be something else, of course, but... I'm not convinced to pull the trigger looking at these graphs.
Does your analysis take into account the fact that the first two graphs don't appear to be volume matched? Or am I reading it wrong?

Apr 13, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #1,135 of 1,292

Using WPD I could plot both on REW:

Oof! We’ll see, but based on those graphs, they completely neutered the bass of the NA2+, compared to the NA2. The NA2 has a really generous amount of high quality and fun bass, with smooth upper mids and lower treble that are not harsh. If the NA2 had a little better upper treble extension, and had better imaging, it would a really amazing IEM. Of course the tuning and imaging seem to be closely linked.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #1,136 of 1,292
Does your analysis take into account the fact that the first two graphs don't appear to be volume matched? Or am I reading it wrong?

Well, like I said you already need to take it with a grain of salt because the typical coupler resonance peak present on IEC711 couplers at ~8-10K is also not matched due to different insertion depths. I've matched both graphs manually at 1K on REW for a better reading/comparison but you can just get the same result comparing the amplitude relative to bass and pinna looking at the originals, so not a big deal.

Regarding volume, the WPD extract the same volume that has been shown on graphs, if you don't have a clue how it works, here's a nice tutorial on how to "grab" a graph from a picture: https://medium.com/@jaakkopasanen/make-your-headphones-sound-supreme-1cbd567832a9 (ctrl + F "Numbers From the Graph"). In the end, it's just a graph from a unique source, it could be a lemon unit or something else. I'll wait for more sources/reviews to confirm that's just basically the same NM2+ tuning with very minor changes, so at least for me no point in buying a "twin".

Apr 13, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #1,137 of 1,292
Well, like I said you already need to take it with a grain of salt because the typical coupler resonance peak present on IEC711 couplers at ~8-10K is also not matched due to different insertion depths. I've matched both graphs manually at 1K on REW for a better reading/comparison but you can just get the same result comparing the amplitude relative to bass and pinna looking at the originals, so not a big deal.

Regarding volume, the WPD extract the same volume that has been shown on graphs, if you don't have a clue how it works, here's a nice tutorial on how to "grab" a graph from a picture: https://medium.com/@jaakkopasanen/make-your-headphones-sound-supreme-1cbd567832a9 (ctrl + F "Numbers From the Graph"). In the end, it's just a graph from a unique source, it could be a lemon unit or something else. I'll wait for more sources/reviews to confirm that's just basically the same NM2+ tuning with very minor changes, so at least for me no point in buying a "twin".
Thanks so much!

Apr 13, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #1,138 of 1,292

Do you have the LZ A6 as well to compare? I think NM2+ is pretty good but not that undervaluing good. I have many IEMs with better stage, imaging and technicality and most are cheaper than the NM2+. I still quite like the NM2+ as it is very responsive to different cables.

Apr 13, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #1,139 of 1,292
Do you have the LZ A6 as well to compare? I think NM2+ is pretty good but not that undervaluing good. I have many IEMs with better stage, imaging and technicality and most are cheaper than the NM2+. I still quite like the NM2+ as it is very responsive to different cables.
No, never had the A6. I should have clarified that I wasn’t speaking of raw technical abilities alone, but cohesive packages (especially with regard to timbre).

That said, I’m always open to hearing of other IEM gems!

Apr 13, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #1,140 of 1,292
No, never had the A6. I should have clarified that I wasn’t speaking of raw technical abilities alone, but cohesive packages (especially with regard to timbre).

That said, I’m always open to hearing of other IEM gems!
Oh ok I got you, that is expected from a single DD with good technicality like the NM2+ which is rare in the market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back