NF Audio impression thread.
Oct 12, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #556 of 1,292
So, a few things about my FDX1 that I wasn’t thrilled about include a “shouty” upper midrange, centered around 4 KHz, that needs mods to help tone down, a poor overall fit (though it can be worn with cable over ear or straight down, but I don’t like the rotating shell design), and lack of impressive soundstage/imaging. The main strengths to me include excellent timbral accuracy, great detail retrieval and resolution for a DD, and a neutral-ish tuning (I actually quite like the cool tonality).

In comparison, the NM2+ maintains or improves on all of these strengths and addresses all of these weaknesses. Despite the looks of the graph, surprisingly, I don’t find the NM2+ shouty. It is almost at my personal threshold, but doesn’t reach it. I’m actually quite sensitive to prominent upper midrange frequencies, so if I can tolerate, and actually enjoy the upper midrange on the NM2+, I think most people will be able to tolerate it as well. No mods needed IMHO. I really like the shape of NF Audio IEM shells. They have long nozzles, but I find that this makes them capable of both shallow and deep insertion. I don’t myself constantly fiddling with these IEMs to get the angle of the nozzle correct, when there are no fixed landmarks, as is the case with the rotating FDX1 shells. It is important to note, however, that the insertion angle of the nozzles and ear tips is important, and one has to find the optimal angle for the best tonality and imaging. The NM2+ shells are very lightweight too.

The imaging is exceptionally good for a single-DD IEM. Instrument placement it accurate and well defined. Soundstage size seems above average, though I’m not good at assessing this. Instrument separation is very good, even during complex passages. It’s not quite as holographic as the best multi-driver IEMs, but it is one of the best I have heard from a single-DD IEM (perhaps tied with the ISN D02?).

Timbral accuracy is exceptional for acoustic instruments, the best I have heard yet. I would consider the tuning to be neutral-ish, though the bass is slightly boosted from true neutral, which is great IMO. I don’t find the tonality to be warm or cool, but really quite neutral. The FR dip around 7KHz doesn’t seem that noticeable to me. The only minor criticism I have of the NM2+ so far, is regarding the bass. It seems more mid bass biased. While the sub bass extension is excellent, it seems to be less than the mid bass. The bass on this IEM is fast and really punchy, with great dynamics, but I apply a little EQ, to boost the sub bass a little, and cut the bass some at 100Hz. This seems to make the mid bass a little less boomy, and quite a bit cleaner. The bass is never muddy though, even w/o EQ. Overall, the bass seems a bit more prominent on the NM2+ than on the FDX1, though the bass is more sub bass biased on the FDX1. While the bass is not as dynamic or textured as beryllium coated drivers tend to be, I think the bass sounds more nuanced, and this definitely has DD bass, with nice rumble and decay. Lastly, the speed, accuracy, resolution, and micro detail retrieval is the best I’ve yet heard from a single-DD IEM. This doesn’t take away anything from how good the FDX1 is, but the NM2+ is just a little bit better, especially with detail retrieval.

The NM2+ is a very impressive IEM IMO, and is especially superb with classical, jazz, instrumental, acoustic genres, as well as with female vocals. While I think it can play all genres of music quite well, R&B, rap, EDM are not its strong suits (I have not yet tried taping the back vent to boost the bass though). The NM2+ could be great with metal, depending on one’s preferences. The driver is very fast, detailed, with great transient response, which is necessary for metal, but I personally find the tuning a bit too intense for a lot of metal, at least at loud volumes.

While I personally love the tuning of this IEM, it is certainly not for everyone. It depends on one’s music preferences, and this is not a universal, all-purpose recommendation.
Absolute perfect analysis I couldn't have said it any better!

Oct 12, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #557 of 1,292
What’s everyone’s favorite ear tips for use with the NM2+ right now? So far, I’m liking the ePro horn tips best. I’m trying out Sedna Lights, but find it too bright in the lower treble, and the upper mids are also a bit more prominent, though the soundstage seems a little larger, and it sounds more airy. It’s good for instruments, but too much for some female vocals for me.

I also like the Spinfit CP145s. I always find that they sound similar to the ePro horns.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #559 of 1,292
D7158252-0A91-4738-A1C3-4D2B934DBA86.jpeg
16EDDD37-A7CE-4A75-A41B-7B137A402D25.png

Can’t locate my ePros (must be in my office somewhere) so tried some of comply eartips. Listening to modern pop, rap, EDM or R&Bs with in-your-face harsh (or brittle) mixing this might be a good option. With good classical or acoustic recordings, I still prefer the stock balanced tips.
If I find my horn-shaped ePros tomorrow I will report back.

edit: I have the Spinfits cp145 (M) and just tried out. Little too sharp up top for me. I am also struggling to get a good and reliable seal with these.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #561 of 1,292
D7158252-0A91-4738-A1C3-4D2B934DBA86.jpeg16EDDD37-A7CE-4A75-A41B-7B137A402D25.png
Can’t locate my ePros (must be in my office somewhere) so tried some of comply eartips. Listening to modern pop, rap, EDM or R&Bs with in-your-face harsh (or brittle) mixing this might be a good option. With good classical or acoustic recordings, I still prefer the stock balanced tips.
If I find my horn-shaped ePros tomorrow I will report back.
Yeah, I find that foam tips narrow the soundstage, and take away ambience. They also tame the treble too much, but could certainly make the NM2+ more enjoyable with certain recordings/genres.

Oct 12, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #562 of 1,292
Oct 12, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #563 of 1,292
I’m eagerly awaiting your impressions on the Volt, and a graph if you’re able to. I was also wondering if you would be able to graph the NA2 sometime, if you have a chance. I haven‘t seen a graph of it thus far.

A63D595B-80A7-4804-9E52-2033A620FEF8.jpeg

Oct 12, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #564 of 1,292
Thanks a bunch! This comparison graph is excellent, and is exactly what I was wanting to know. I’m still amazed at how much I like the NM2+, and how it really defies the looks of its graph. Even my NA2 seems to have more bass than the graph suggests. Very interesting.

Oct 12, 2020 at 11:16 PM Post #565 of 1,292
Thanks a bunch! This comparison graph is excellent, and is exactly what I was wanting to know. I’m still amazed at how much I like the NM2+, and how it really defies the looks of its graph. Even my NA2 seems to have more bass than the graph suggests. Very interesting.

If you level match at 1khz, you can see that NA2 has similar low-end energy like the NM2.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #567 of 1,292
My NM2+ should be arriving tomorrow. After reading this thread I'm pretty hyped :wink:

From reading here they should suit my preference well.

Oct 13, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #569 of 1,292
I
So, a few things about my FDX1 that I wasn’t thrilled about include a “shouty” upper midrange, centered around 4 KHz, that needs mods to help tone down, a poor overall fit (though it can be worn with cable over ear or straight down, but I don’t like the rotating shell design), and lack of impressive soundstage/imaging. The main strengths to me include excellent timbral accuracy, great detail retrieval and resolution for a DD, and a neutral-ish tuning (I actually quite like the cool tonality).

In comparison, the NM2+ maintains or improves on all of these strengths and addresses all of these weaknesses. Despite the looks of the graph, surprisingly, I don’t find the NM2+ shouty. It is almost at my personal threshold, but doesn’t reach it. I’m actually quite sensitive to prominent upper midrange frequencies, so if I can tolerate, and actually enjoy the upper midrange on the NM2+, I think most people will be able to tolerate it as well. No mods needed IMHO. I really like the shape of NF Audio IEM shells. They have long nozzles, but I find that this makes them capable of both shallow and deep insertion. I don’t myself constantly fiddling with these IEMs to get the angle of the nozzle correct, when there are no fixed landmarks, as is the case with the rotating FDX1 shells. It is important to note, however, that the insertion angle of the nozzles and ear tips is important, and one has to find the optimal angle for the best tonality and imaging. The NM2+ shells are very lightweight too.

The imaging is exceptionally good for a single-DD IEM. Instrument placement it accurate and well defined. Soundstage size seems above average, though I’m not good at assessing this. Instrument separation is very good, even during complex passages. It’s not quite as holographic as the best multi-driver IEMs, but it is one of the best I have heard from a single-DD IEM (perhaps tied with the ISN D02?).

Timbral accuracy is exceptional for acoustic instruments, the best I have heard yet. I would consider the tuning to be neutral-ish, though the bass is slightly boosted from true neutral, which is great IMO. I don’t find the tonality to be warm or cool, but really quite neutral. The FR dip around 7KHz doesn’t seem that noticeable to me. The only minor criticism I have of the NM2+ so far, is regarding the bass. It seems more mid bass biased. While the sub bass extension is excellent, it seems to be less than the mid bass. The bass on this IEM is fast and really punchy, with great dynamics, but I apply a little EQ, to boost the sub bass a little, and cut the bass some at 100Hz. This seems to make the mid bass a little less boomy, and quite a bit cleaner. The bass is never muddy though, even w/o EQ. Overall, the bass seems a bit more prominent on the NM2+ than on the FDX1, though the bass is more sub bass biased on the FDX1. While the bass is not as dynamic or textured as beryllium coated drivers tend to be, I think the bass sounds more nuanced, and this definitely has DD bass, with nice rumble and decay. Lastly, the speed, accuracy, resolution, and micro detail retrieval is the best I’ve yet heard from a single-DD IEM. This doesn’t take away anything from how good the FDX1 is, but the NM2+ is just a little bit better, especially with detail retrieval.

The NM2+ is a very impressive IEM IMO, and is especially superb with classical, jazz, instrumental, acoustic genres, as well as with female vocals. While I think it can play all genres of music quite well, R&B, rap, EDM are not its strong suits (I have not yet tried taping the back vent to boost the bass though). The NM2+ could be great with metal, depending on one’s preferences. The driver is very fast, detailed, with great transient response, which is necessary for metal, but I personally find the tuning a bit too intense for a lot of metal, at least at loud volumes.

While I personally love the tuning of this IEM, it is certainly not for everyone. It depends on one’s music preferences, and this is not a universal, all-purpose recommendation.
I am quiet enjoying these for metal infact still surprised with the speed even after spending quiet some time with them. This is close to BA speed. My fav for metal is all BA iems due to its exceptional speed and technicalitys, when compared with S8f, I felt NM2+ has quiet impressive speed and more transparent sound on kickdrums and snare

Oct 13, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #570 of 1,292
NM2+ spoiled me badly. Hard to go back to other IEMs after listening to it for a while. Some of them down right sound muddy or veiled after getting used to the detailed sound signature of the NM2+. I shall pull the trigger on YY UPOCC cable tomorrow.
Geez, you’re sure right about that. I’ve been trying most of the top recced sub-$150 IEMs currently out, and the NM2+ is the first that has so obviously outclassed the others in detail and layering. Honestly I can’t A/B them anymore without making some really solid IEMs sound like Beats lol. Amazing considering it’s just a single DD in there.

Now I‘m just waiting for my UPOCC 2-pin cable to come in for it. My only complaint is that it lacks a little bit of note weight sometimes (for instance in high pitched strings as well as in the lower mids) so I’m hoping the copper cable will sort that. The one I ordered a month ago has been lost by USPS apparently so I just ordered another.

But really this is just an outstanding monitor. So glad y’all convinced me to give them a chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back