Nexus 5x and 6p sound quality
Oct 27, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #17 of 118

Thanks for your impressions, looks like yours is the first

Could you please elaborate on the sound quality? How is the bass, mids, treble? Is it brighter or warmer? etc . That would be great

I generally try to stay away from subjective opinions like that and leave it to the pros with more experienced ears and fancier measurements systems than I have!

However if we don't see anything in a couple of days I'll post up my opinions.  I haven't really gotten much time with the phone, just received it a couple of hours ago.

Oct 27, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #18 of 118
Wouldn't the Qualcomn DAC be isolated the same way in every Snapdragon 810 phone because it is part of the chipset, or am I wrong in assuming that?

No on the ifixit teardowns you can can see that it is an independent tiny chip and different manufacturers place it in different places and whatnot. It depends on the implementation. Either way HTC can make it sound good.

Nov 2, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #19 of 118
I'm currently listening to Google Music on my shiny new Nexus 6P with a set of Westone W60's.  Compared to my previous phone, the Nexus 6, I can't hear background hiss anymore, so that's an improvement for me.

As for loudness, it gets louder than I can stand to listen to, so whatever the output voltage is, it's enough for me.

This setup is the highest quality I've ever heard and I can't pick out any flaws in the sound, but I don't have anything better to compare to know the difference.  

Nov 5, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #20 of 118
I'm currently listening to Google Music on my shiny new Nexus 6P with a set of Westone W60's.  Compared to my previous phone, the Nexus 6, I can't hear background hiss anymore, so that's an improvement for me.

As for loudness, it gets louder than I can stand to listen to, so whatever the output voltage is, it's enough for me.

This setup is the highest quality I've ever heard and I can't pick out any flaws in the sound, but I don't have anything better to compare to know the difference.  

No hiss with W60's?! That's impressive as all heck. Those things are 117 do at 24 ohm. Crazy. Consider me sold.

Thank you very much for your input!

Nov 5, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #21 of 118
Hi there

Have been using the nexus 5x for two weeks now as my daily driver. I've got the 32gb version and am using Google music, Spotify and Poweramp to play FLACs loaded onto it. Using a range of iems including sound magic e50, shure se535 and some Sony ex650.

First impressions: really great sq with all types of music. Slightly bright, forward presentation compared to my iPhone 6. Very little hiss even with the shure iems which I find exaggerates these problems if present.

Volume is plenty loud enough for iems for me although haven't tried any full size cans with it.

Can't compare to my A&K junior of course but plenty adequate enough for day to day listening. And the camera on the phone is amazing by the way.

Just my opinions of course, so don't take too seriously! I have owned iPhone 6, HTC one m7,8 and 9, Samsung s5,s6 s6 edge and Sony z3. (All now sold, I don't hoard phones haha). I would say that so far nexus 5x compares very favourably.

Nov 5, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #22 of 118
Based on my nexus 4 experience my hope is partial towards nexus 5x due to "LG" but I know we cant go by that

I love nexus 4 sound quality and carrying it as additional device just for music along with my iphone 6

Nov 5, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #24 of 118
Other forums are giving the 6p horrible sound quality and output reviews.

Output has been a problem for sure, but most people seem at least content with the quality. The lack of background noise/hiss compared to other phones has been something a lot of people on reddit have noted as a plus as well.

It seems to be somewhat behind the Samsung and OnePlus devices, but definitely a step up compared to the older Nexus phones and other competitors.

Nov 5, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #25 of 118
  Other forums are giving the 6p horrible sound quality and output reviews.

I haven't seen too many people speaking bad about the quality, only the output. And most people confuse loudness with quality. I'm more interested in the opinions expressed on this forum than most other places unless the poster has a very detailed, knowledgeable post.

Nov 6, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #27 of 118
only thing stopping me buying one of these is the lack of storage (well on the 5 at least).
I want a smaller phone (currently have note 4) but storage is a must, currently spoilt with 32+128

Yep no denying that 32gb is limiting (coming from 128gb iPhone 6 or expandable storage devices). It's made me a lot more disciplined in terms of which albums/playlists I load onto the phone. Also I have an unlimited data plan so streaming extreme quality Spotify is a viable option. I would prefer the luxury of more storage though.

Nov 8, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #29 of 118
Listened to a 6p for several hours.doesn't sound as good to me as the 5x. YMMV

Nov 8, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #30 of 118
Just got a 6p and I've been listening on some cheapo Senn HD180s.. not terribly happy so far!

I previously had a Nexus 5 which, surprisingly, was pretty adequate for listening to music at work. Nothing special compared to my home setup but whatever. The sound wasn't overly detailed but nevertheless felt balanced and relatively organic - even on the HD180s.

The 6P's sound is extremely forward and punchy, but has a real digital grittiness to it. Almost like running through a preamp with the gain wound up too far, with a weird high mid resonance that eventually becomes fatiguing. The weird grit sort of reminds me of my motherboard's onboard Realtek sound, from circa mid-2000s. It feels like the frequency response is not flat at all, I'm expecting tests to show a big peak around high mids to low treble. It's kind of like listening on cheap earbuds.

I'm going to have a go on my DT880s at home. If it still sounds terrible I might just give up and either buy an external DAC or get the darkest sounding cans I can find, lol. Can't believe a flagship actually sounds like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back