Nexus 5 Sound Quality?
Aug 22, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #181 of 228
hmm you did say "So the answer to your question is nexus 5's sound quality sucks" and im sorry but it doesnt.  im not going to say its "good" but for a p
hmm you did say "So the answer to your question is nexus 5's sound quality sucks" and im sorry but it doesnt.  im not going to say its "good" but for a phone its not terrible and is a giant step of from the N4, that thing was pretty terrible.

i mean there might be some phones out there are good, ill confess ive never heard those samsungs with the wolfson DAC's in them but there is a reason i never use my phone for audio.  phones are convergence devices so "good enough" as all that matters and "good enough" isnt so for me.
hone its not terrible and is a giant step of from the N4, that thing was pretty terrible.

i mean there might be some phones out there are good, ill confess ive never heard those samsungs with the wolfson DAC's in them but there is a reason i never use my phone for audio.  phones are convergence devices so "good enough" as all that matters and "good enough" isnt so for me.

You will probably never be happy then.

Try the HTC one M8 - if that doesn't float your boats, I would give up and take a vow of silence.

Aug 22, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #182 of 228
You will probably never be happy then.

Try the HTC one M8 - if that doesn't float your boats, I would give up and take a vow of silence.

what with using a phone as my primary audio source?  i absolutely agree, which is why i dont.

that was rather my point, phones are compromise, general devices so a DAP whos aim is audio quality will always best a device that doesnt prioritise audio quality. 

Aug 22, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #183 of 228

what with using a phone as my primary audio source?  i absolutely agree, which is why i dont.

that was rather my point, phones are compromise, general devices so a DAP whos aim is audio quality will always best a device that doesnt prioritise audio quality. 

No, give up pretence that you know what you're looking for from sound.  If you can't listen perfectly happily to music from one of the current flagship smartphones, you are chasing your own tail too much and need to step back.

Aug 22, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #184 of 228

No, give up pretence that you know what you're looking for from sound.  If you can't listen perfectly happily to music from one of the current flagship smartphones, you are chasing your own tail too much and need to step back.

give up the pretence i know what im looking for????

oh of course i have no idea what im looking for and unless im happy with what you think is acceptable then i must be in the wrong. 

you sir not only have a greatly over inflated opinion of yourself but are also exceedingly rude.

Aug 22, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #185 of 228
give up the pretence i know what im looking for????

oh of course i have no idea what im looking for and unless im happy with what you think is acceptable then i must be in the wrong. 

you sir not only have a greatly over inflated opinion of yourself but are also exceedingly rude.

I don't think it's rude, just telling it as it is. It's easy nowadays to listen to great music.

Aug 22, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #186 of 228
well so far you have told me to shut up and that if im not happy with what you deem good enough for all then i must not know what im looking for and be chasing shadows.

saying your just "telling it as it is" is short hand for i know im being rude and offensive i just think i know better so am entitled to do so.

Aug 23, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #189 of 228
While I do love the output from my Nexus 5, I know there are even better options out there - because they sound better, not just because they're dedicated to music purposes. Don't just ignore DAPs because you can't imagine anything better than your current setup.

Heck, I used to think NuForce's NE-700X was my end-all until I got to sample some Westone 3s.

Nov 20, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #190 of 228
Nexus 5 sounds really bad.

Only way to make it decent is cranking up Neutron to the maximum of its dithering/upsampling capacities as well as changing the driver.

I want a moto X pretty bad, apparently it sound really good. Same thing for the new Z3 too.

Dec 14, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #191 of 228
  I've been using my LCD-2's for about a year with my Schiit Gungnir+Mjolnir so I think my ears are pretty spoiled.

These are just my impressions. In any case, I find the Nexus 5 to sound flat, albeit quiet, with bloomy bass. I don't know, there's something missing. If I switch to my iPad 3Gen, for example, while using using my Klipsch X10's the sound becomes much more alive and I hear better instrument separation.  Also, my iPad puts out over double the volume of what the Nexus 5 can do. Sorry I don't have an iPhone to compare.

If I had to characterize the DAC/AMP on the Nexus 5 it's dark and muddy but listenable. This is a real shame since people were talking up the 24bit 192khz aspect of the phone. I'd love to see some benchmarks of this DAC vs other phones and see if my perception is reflected in measurements.

Bloomy bass indeed.

Dec 21, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #192 of 228
Well this is just great. I am considering getting the Nexus 5, but the sound quality is very important to me, since i use the phone as my mp3 player for several hours every day.

Half of the people here say the sound quality is terrible and under average and the other half says it's sublime, being the best sounding device they know.

So where is the truth?

Dec 22, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #193 of 228
The sound quality of the Nexus 5 is passable but i think it also depends on what headphones you will be using with it. The P7s im using with it seem to make the music more forgiving and im not too picky. However for some other people the nexus 5 would be quite flat and uninspiring. If you are one of those people with hawk like ears id stay clear of the nexus 5 and get a dedicated DAP instead. 

Dec 22, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #194 of 228
  Well this is just great. I am considering getting the Nexus 5, but the sound quality is very important to me, since i use the phone as my mp3 player for several hours every day.

Half of the people here say the sound quality is terrible and under average and the other half says it's sublime, being the best sounding device they know.

So where is the truth?

well its a phone.  frankly while you say sound quality is "very important" to you its clearly not or you wouldnt be using a phone, youd use a dedicated device that is designed to sound good not one that just tacks audio on as all phones do.

however as phones go its alright.  its still a phone though.

Dec 24, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #195 of 228
Anyone know if the fiio x1 sound quality is better then the nexus 5? Is it a slight difference or quite a huge improvement or do I need a much larger investment to hear any differences at all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back