Next upgrade for canned listening pleasure (Grado SR325is)
Nov 10, 2010 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

theSC00BZ

New Head-Fier
Hey Guys,

Earlier this year I decided to update my audio listening pleasure and buy the Grado SR325is with Graham Slee Voyager amp. Currently I'm running the following:

Apple Lossless > iPod(3g) > iBasso CB07 line out > Graham Slee Voyager > Grado SR325is

This has been my first and only rig for better listening and I was amazed at the difference in sound quality; now I am keen to upgrade  In summary, I have a budget of perhaps £500 ($800 USD) at a stretch and would like to know what would give me the most significant increase of listening bliss. 
smile_phones.gif

It doesn't have to be portable (I could keep my existing setup for that), but I would ideally like to keep my Grados. Maybe a different amp would be best? (RA-1 or Graham Slee Solo? - not tried any). Perhaps switching out the iPod and running a usb from my computer to an external DAC?

Any ideas that would boost this setup would be greatly welcome! Thanks!

Nov 10, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #2 of 5
Find a USB DAC and try that out. I've only used the pico DAC and the devilsound 2.1, both sound great. The HRT streamers are supposed to be good for the money as well. 

Nov 10, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #3 of 5
I can HIGHLY recommend the HRT Streamer II + or the earlier + version.  Its also within your budget for the MiniMax DAC.

A Kimber USB cable would be an improvement and decent interconnects.  I prefer Cardas, but have great luck with ALO cables.  

A great way to spend that money would be,

Kimber USB $50.00
HRT Streamer II+ $350.00
Cardas Quadlink or 300B RCAs. $200.00-$250.00.

Nov 11, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 5
Cool, thanks for the replies!

@kboe: With your mentioned setup, what would the HRT Streamer feed? Would it go to my existing Voyager amp or directly to my headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back