Next step DAC AMP recommendation for HD6XX
Feb 5, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #16 of 20
Somehow this thread got revived after almost a year but thanks for the additional recommendations. If anyone is interested, I did some more research and went with Massdrop CTH. I use it off the Explorer as a DAC (which is 2V line out) and like the chill sound. The sound can sometimes be a little warm though - I first thought it was the amp but it seems like the Explorer line out is warmer than headphone out (I will probably be upgrading it to the Modi Multibit). I also bought Schiit Magni 3 and didn't like it as much as I hoped. It sounds a little compressed. To my ears MCTH is the better amp, especially in soundstage.

Since I found the MCTH + Explorer Line Out combo on the border of being too warm, then probably the traditional tube sound is not for me. ProtegeManiac was correct to suggest solid state as in the meantime I've purchased other headphones and even kickstarted some. Yeah so I guess I'm hooked. I am not in the market for a new amp but I've been reading around... If I was I'd probably go for Massdrop THX AAA 789.

Feb 9, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #17 of 20
Somehow this thread got revived after almost a year but thanks for the additional recommendations. If anyone is interested, I did some more research and went with Massdrop CTH. I use it off the Explorer as a DAC (which is 2V line out) and like the chill sound. The sound can sometimes be a little warm though - I first thought it was the amp but it seems like the Explorer line out is warmer than headphone out (I will probably be upgrading it to the Modi Multibit). I also bought Schiit Magni 3 and didn't like it as much as I hoped. It sounds a little compressed. To my ears MCTH is the better amp, especially in soundstage.

Since I found the MCTH + Explorer Line Out combo on the border of being too warm, then probably the traditional tube sound is not for me. ProtegeManiac was correct to suggest solid state as in the meantime I've purchased other headphones and even kickstarted some. Yeah so I guess I'm hooked. I am not in the market for a new amp but I've been reading around... If I was I'd probably go for Massdrop THX AAA 789.
The 789 is great.
One thing to note, is that some find the multibit DACs a bit warmer than normal Delta Sigma. You might be better off with the Modi 3 or its equivalent.

Feb 9, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #18 of 20
The slightly unnatural bass and treble extension of the Mimby really would help with some of the roll off that the HD650 has at both ends of the FR. Are the rest of Schiit’s DACs voices similarly as it’s their house sound? If so, then maybe upgrading within their path makes sense.

As far as amps go, I tend to avoid tubes even though I’m sure they sound great. I just like to dial into setting and leave it alone, and tubes tend to evolve and lose their qualities as they wear down. So yeah, I’d go with either an amp from Audio-gd or the THX AAA 789, if transparency is a goal.

Sep 8, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #20 of 20
I would go with a good entry-level OTL tube amp, such as the WBA Master (about 360€), or maybe the new Xduoo TA-26 (about 270€). Then add a DAC for about 200€.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back