Next Logical Step [IEMs And The Like]
Apr 30, 2008 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kjpmkjp

500+ Head-Fier
So, I'm planning to move back to the big city (Toronto), and when I get there, I'm going to start exercising more. Alright, that's a lie, I'm going to *start* exercising. Anyway, the point is that I'd like a pair of decent IEMs/IECs/IEHs/ECHs/or whatever we are calling them these days.

I currently have a pair of V-Moda Vibes, and for a lack of better wording, they suck. Plus, the right side seems to be at a power loss, as it's much quieter than the left side counterpart. As for fit, they're decent. I can't wear them for very long, but they don't make me want to gouge out my ears either.

I'm willing to look used, assuming the ratio of people who ship up to Canada is better than 1/10... For a budget, I'd like to keep it under $100 (not including shipping, but including taxes, if applicable). You can give me USD quotes, since prices north of the border are just evil. $100 for SR60s, for example. As for sound, I'm still new to the terminology. Let's just go with something that sounds nice overall. Bass is important though, and I'd prefer not to have anything with shrieking trebles.

So far, the options I'm seeing (New, and from Headroom) are the Sennheiser CX-300B, Etymotic ER-6i, Shure SE110, Ultimate Ears Metro-Fi 2, Jays D-Jays, and the Denon AH-C551K. Big list, but I'll have to at least knock some choices right out.

Any help would be appreciated, and I'm willing to clarify anything if I have to.

And sorry for being so green.

-Ken

May 1, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #3 of 6
Okay, that's one option. I'm kicking the Metro-Fi's out of the race, as well as the ER-6i, since I'm seeing a lot of negative feedback on SQ and comfort/removal (respectively). The Denon's look impressive for $50, as do the Senns. But would it really be worth it to drop the extra $30-$50 for any of the others listed, or these RE2s? Will the SQ increase that much, or just by a little?

May 1, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 6
No one seems to think about UM1s anymore. I still think they're the best entry level single driver IEM by far. You can find them for sale on the used forums here for about $80ish usually, and I know there's at least one seller online (that I think operates out of Toronto from which you can get them for $110, which is their US price as well).

May 2, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My vote is for er6i even with experience with the um1. I just find the etys a little more exciting, than the um1s which I find are neutral.

The reviews I have read (many of them) have stated that the ER-6i is more spectular than the UM1 in the highs but the UM1 are more musical and have more lower end punch than the ER-6i.

Any confirmations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back