Next AKG flagship?
Jun 28, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #16 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for sharing this. This at least gives a timeline, but they didn't answer the real question, "Is the successor to the K701 an improved K701 or a K-1000 level phone.

We need a corporate spy to help out here ... any volunteers?

Whatever it is, i would hope that it is capable of holding it's own against the HD800.Another K70? just aint gonna do it.

Jun 28, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #17 of 69
I just got my hands on the k340. The highs on the k340 aren't as sparkly, but the midrange is just beautiful. I'm keeping the k701s anyway just cause the k340s are so heavy compared to the k701 and it gets tiring after a few hours.

Hopefully the new can will be worth the wait.
smily_headphones1.gif
and I really hope they can make the phone for a lower price than the hd800. -.- >$1000 for dynamic headphones is a little pricey and approaching electrostatic territory.

Jun 28, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #18 of 69
AKG have just been rebranding everything. Like the studio ones with detachable cables, then those beige versions with the velour pads etc. for personal audio rather than professional. The K81 rebranded into the K518 (though at least after a year the price dropped back down to K81 kind of price it hovered at before becoming discontinued). Even the K430 etc. uses the drivers from previous headphones, even if the housing is of different design.

Considering my money situation at the moment I probably won't get an HD800 this year, so maybe I'll be on a choosing line between this K701 successor and that.

Jun 28, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #19 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by EugeneK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
and I really hope they can make the phone for a lower price than the hd800. -.- >$1000 for dynamic headphones is a little pricey and approaching electrostatic territory.

The HD800 isn't just a typical dynamic headphone. It's an entirely new transducer design that is extremely fast. I'm sure the guys at AKG will come up with something good though.

Jun 28, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #20 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulb09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKG have just been rebranding everything. Like the studio ones with detachable cables, then those beige versions with the velour pads etc. for personal audio rather than professional. The K81 rebranded into the K518 (though at least after a year the price dropped back down to K81 kind of price it hovered at before becoming discontinued). Even the K430 etc. uses the drivers from previous headphones, even if the housing is of different design.

Considering my money situation at the moment I probably won't get an HD800 this year, so maybe I'll be on a choosing line between this K701 successor and that.

so true. Even the K701 is essentially a rebranded K400, which was designed in the eightees! It is not the same phone of course, but if you listen to the two of them, you will realize that they are the same essential design, with a few tweaks.

It's time to create something new, and not just strip down a previous model, and make it cheaper to manufacture.

Jun 28, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #21 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for sharing this. This at least gives a timeline, but they didn't answer the real question, "Is the successor to the K701 an improved K701 or a K-1000 level phone.

Yeah, sadly they did work around my question a bit.
I really do not like the K701, while loving the K1000. So I wish for a K1000 successor and not a K701 one. But the reply did not seem to promising..
frown.gif

Jun 28, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #22 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edoardo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe that the k701/2 is an excellent headphone, it just needs proper amplification

X 2, just ignore the bashers...

Jun 28, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #23 of 69
interesting, what is the name going to be? i'm betting on K801- not that hard to figure, heh. unless they make another electrostats, which i doubt.

Jun 28, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #24 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I am the only one who was unimpressed with K340 and K501 and went back to K701.
tongue.gif

I prefer the K701 over the K340 and K501. Of course my favorite AKG is the K1000.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 28, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #26 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would be very interested in a new AKG. Their products had been top notch until the K-701, which was a huge misstep. They went from getting everything right to something slightly off.

None of the non-701 AKGs I've heard did everything right to my ears. So the K 701 is/was still the best compromise in my book.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EugeneK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Why should it not? Unless you think electrostats are still superior anyway, which I don't. Admittedly $1000 or more is a lot of money – the price for a high-tech flagship.

Jun 28, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #28 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're idiots not to re make the K1000,there's a demand for it, they won't have spend a cent on R&D.
so what gives?

Hehehe, They can do both, and even improve the K1000.
biggrin.gif
We just need to start collecting some signatures, and to show that we want a new K1000. Viva la revolution...

Jun 28, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #29 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edoardo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't believe in flagships... It is just about making you pay the double for a very little improvement and a more audiophile look.

I would say that that is not true at all. Look at HP manufacturers right now. Until the 800, the HD650 was senn's flagship, and it goes for only ~$400 or less. Then you have AKG, whose flagship phone right now is $300 and even the K1K was below $1000 when it was in production.

Anyway, I would be really interested in a new AKG flagship. Hopefully it can approach the K1K in some aspects. I really want a pair of k1000 but considering the price it will have to wait a while.

Jun 28, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #30 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, sadly they did work around my question a bit.
I really do not like the K701, while loving the K1000. So I wish for a K1000 successor and not a K701 one. But the reply did not seem to promising..
frown.gif

As a long-term K 1000 owner and now re-owner (interim downsize to two K 701's), I'm also hoping for a REAL successor in its class, not for a K 703, 710, 801 or similar stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back