Newsmy G1 Pocket Lossless Player
May 3, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #16 of 122
Okay, I guess we all know there is no DAC under that model name of QV7658H, but it is not uncommon for Chinese DAP manufacturer to remark their chip in order to confuse buyer. Since @redfx already provided us with a picture of Moonlight Z1, we can safely assume both Z1 and G1 are probably coming from the same OEM. It is also not uncommon for Chinese DAP maker (especially the cheaper one) to source their PCB from an OEM that already did all the actually designing. Most of the time DAP maker just tweak the PCB a little and claim they are the designer, but they are really not. For example, company like Newsmy really doesn't know how to (nor capable of) design CPU (or SoC to be more correct), even though it might claim this is their own design. Again, it is pure marketing.

Now lets go back to the DAC itself - it is a 20 TSSOP package - there are only two DAC of such package that are commonly used, the Wolfson WM8523 and TI PCM51xx series. First of, given we already know they claim it to be a Wolfson, and the fact that Z1 is using it, the chance that it is a WM8523 is pretty good. After all, it is unlikely for Newsmy to tweak the PCB that much (as changing DAC from one brand to another requires total redesign of the whole PCB). Secondly, I can tell from the PCB layout (by looking at which DAC's pins are connected to which components) that WM8523 is probably the one in use, since PCM51xx series pinout are very different. So the conclusion is, it is a WM8523, being remarked as QV7658H by Newsmy to confuse people.

Now the funny part is that a single OPA2134 (which is a dual channel chip)  should have been enough, but instead the designs calls for two OPA2134, which appear to each driving a single channel. I can't really tell the detail from the PCB picture, but if it is indeed using one OPA2134 to drive one channel, that mean it might have double the power (compared to one OPA2134 driving both channels). In any case, OPA2134 is known for its low output impedance (0.01ohm typically), so that shouldn't be too big of a problem (assuming Newsmy didn't add more resistor at the end).

May 8, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #19 of 122
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I really like the design, it reminds of Colorfly C3 a little.

I will be up for one to take for a test drive. 

May 8, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #22 of 122
Are you joking? I bought with it CK4, will compare with the amplifier and without
wink.gif

CK4 is a good player from line out, though headphone out has quite severe bass roll-off  with low impedance IEM from my experience.

I will check out the earbuds! Maybe ClieOS can send me his pair. 
wink_face.gif

May 12, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #23 of 122
  Okay, I guess we all know there is no DAC under that model name of QV7658H, but it is not uncommon for Chinese DAP manufacturer to remark their chip in order to confuse buyer. Since @redfx already provided us with a picture of Moonlight Z1, we can safely assume both Z1 and G1 are probably coming from the same OEM. It is also not uncommon for Chinese DAP maker (especially the cheaper one) to source their PCB from an OEM that already did all the actually designing. Most of the time DAP maker just tweak the PCB a little and claim they are the designer, but they are really not. For example, company like Newsmy really doesn't know how to (nor capable of) design CPU (or SoC to be more correct), even though it might claim this is their own design. Again, it is pure marketing.

Now lets go back to the DAC itself - it is a 20 TSSOP package - there are only two DAC of such package that are commonly used, the Wolfson WM8523 and TI PCM51xx series. First of, given we already know they claim it to be a Wolfson, and the fact that Z1 is using it, the chance that it is a WM8523 is pretty good. After all, it is unlikely for Newsmy to tweak the PCB that much (as changing DAC from one brand to another requires total redesign of the whole PCB). Secondly, I can tell from the PCB layout (by looking at which DAC's pins are connected to which components) that WM8523 is probably the one in use, since PCM51xx series pinout are very different. So the conclusion is, it is a WM8523, being remarked as QV7658H by Newsmy to confuse people.

Now the funny part is that a single OPA2134 (which is a dual channel chip)  should have been enough, but instead the designs calls for two OPA2134, which appear to each driving a single channel. I can't really tell the detail from the PCB picture, but if it is indeed using one OPA2134 to drive one channel, that mean it might have double the power (compared to one OPA2134 driving both channels). In any case, OPA2134 is known for its low output impedance (0.01ohm typically), so that shouldn't be too big of a problem (assuming Newsmy didn't add more resistor at the end).

Yes, Z1 uses WM8523,

http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a220m.1000858.1000725.17.PvOKt9&id=43808716512&skuId=77661754018&cat_id=2&rn=5101bbcea93b9972d3282a0a8e7e39bd&standard=1&user_id=595389613&is_b=1

May 12, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #25 of 122

So now the question is whether QV7658H is real or not.  Or QV7658H mentioned in their brochure is actually WM8523?

Source: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.173.B9rcZK&id=44819878881&ns=1&abbucket=7#detail

May 12, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #26 of 122
Again, all the evidence has been mentioned - it is a WM8523 (*if you understand electronic, the pinout alone is already enough proof). Wolfson does not actually make a chip called QV7658H. In fact, no one makes a DAC chip under that name. There is nothing further to discuss about a fake name that Newsmy invented.

May 17, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #29 of 122
I've shot Penon Audio off an enquiry to see if they'll be stocking this unit. 

I would rather simply buy from them.

Where are other people purchasing from atm?

May 17, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #30 of 122
I've shot Penon Audio off an enquiry to see if they'll be stocking this unit. 

I would rather simply buy from them.

Where are other people purchasing from atm?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/36hours-play-Newsmy-G1-HiFi-metal-lossess-enthusiast-MP3-with-8GB-Support-MP3-WMA-APE-FLAC/32337296867.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back