News Release: Stax SR-009
Apr 1, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #31 of 45

Quote:
From what I have read in reports of thise who have had a chance to compare the SR-009 with the SR-007 MK1, the fundamental difference between the two is that the SR-009 has vastly superior clarity and that Stax has gone away from the "warmth" avenue and into the "clarity" avenue.

Now this may sound as a surprise to many people, but the SR-007 is not to my ears a warm headphone at all.   It is full bodied- but not warm.  Now I must admit that it does sound warm using pretty much all the standard sources, amps, and IC's- and therefore it has got the reputation that it is warm- fair enough.

However, on my BHSE, with GE6CA7 tubes and Ridge Street Audio Poemia IC's and very importantly- all  fuses in my system are Hi-Fi tuning supreme audiofile fuses- the transparancy is piercing.  I have never heard better clarity from any other headphone in my life with the possible exception of those that give up bass response and or have trebble peak.  In this set up there is NO WARMTH.  There is fullneess, body, and piercing dynamic punch and clarity- like I have never heard before.   In fact, sometimes, the clarity is to much for me and I need to switch to a copper IC to warm things up just a tad.

Now I know not everyone can afford or even wants a system like I have.  I just want to make the point that when properly driven- and a BHSE is not enough because the tubes and Ridge Street IC's, and the audiophile fuses make a BIG difference- no normal person would claim that the SR-007 is warm.

If the SR-009 is by nature clearer and more transparent than the SR-007- in my set up-  I think I may go deaf from to much detail.

Well, glad you brought this up.  So maybe a superbly transparent amp (BHSE) & headphone (SR009), can be too revealing?  Glad I got a tube output sources!

Apr 1, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #32 of 45

Quote:
From what I have read in reports of thise who have had a chance to compare the SR-009 with the SR-007 MK1, the fundamental difference between the two is that the SR-009 has vastly superior clarity and that Stax has gone away from the "warmth" avenue and into the "clarity" avenue.

Now this may sound as a surprise to many people, but the SR-007 is not to my ears a warm headphone at all.   It is full bodied- but not warm.  Now I must admit that it does sound warm using pretty much all the standard sources, amps, and IC's- and therefore it has got the reputation that it is warm- fair enough.

However, on my BHSE, with GE6CA7 tubes and Ridge Street Audio Poemia IC's and very importantly- all  fuses in my system are Hi-Fi tuning supreme audiofile fuses- the transparancy is piercing.  I have never heard better clarity from any other headphone in my life with the possible exception of those that give up bass response and or have trebble peak.  In this set up there is NO WARMTH.  There is fullneess, body, and piercing dynamic punch and clarity- like I have never heard before.   In fact, sometimes, the clarity is to much for me and I need to switch to a copper IC to warm things up just a tad.

Now I know not everyone can afford or even wants a system like I have.  I just want to make the point that when properly driven- and a BHSE is not enough because the tubes and Ridge Street IC's, and the audiophile fuses make a BIG difference- no normal person would claim that the SR-007 is warm.

If the SR-009 is by nature clearer and more transparent than the SR-007- in my set up-  I think I may go deaf from to much detail.

this is what i wonder and worry about. Still i am considering on getting a pair of 009

Apr 2, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #33 of 45

Quote:
Well, glad you brought this up.  So maybe a superbly transparent amp (BHSE) & headphone (SR009), can be too revealing?  Glad I got a tube output sources!

I am using an Ayon Skylla Dac as my source- TUBE OUTPUT- and the detail is still piercing- no less revealing than the sony Qualia but without the edge and ear pain.  Using a non tube source in a system like mine would make a hole in my ear. 

Aug 8, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #38 of 45
Can the Stax SR-009 be recabled??? I ask this because I was going to get the BHSE with the Alps RK50 but when I e-mailed Justin about it he said the 2 ins on the front are for 2 Stax jacks. What are Stax jacks? A L and R? I ask this because Double Helix make balanced cables but theirs have one L and one R. That'll work for the front of my RP1000 but then again it won't work because that's not an electrostatic amp (the RP1000), that's why I need to buy the BHSE and will the balanced cables made by Double Helix work with the BHSE or not?

Aug 8, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #39 of 45
Ouch...

Looks like you really need to do more research. 2 Stax jacks on the BHSE's front means that you can use 2 Stax headphones at the same time. It's totally different from 2x XLR jacks on balanced dynamic headamp.

Putting any aftermarket cable on the 009 will just destroy the 'phones. The cable must be rigid enough to handle high voltage, which I doubt any random cable can do that.

Aug 8, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #42 of 45
The BHSE drives electrostatic headphones only. "Stax jacks" is sort of another way to put it - it merely refers to a type of headphone jack common to most electrostatic headphones. (The BHSE can also be ordered with 1 Stax and 1 Sennheiser jack for their electrostatic headphones too, for example.) If you're referring to the Rudistor RP1000, that looks like a dynamic amp and that amp will drive dynamic headphones only. The balanced XLR outputs on the Rudistor RP1000 are for amplifying balanced dynamic headphones only, not electrostatic headphones or for any other purpose.

The SR-009 can be used only with electrostatic amps and it would probably be extremely unsafe to attempt to recable it for any reason. Here's a pic that shows the typical 5-pin Stax headphone termination: http://www.flickr.com/photos/onefingersnap/4098600735/ Most electrostatic amps hence have the appropriate 5-pin "Stax plug" for accepting Stax or other electrostatic headphones. The 5 pins in total carry both the L and R signals.

In a sense the SR-009 is already balanced, as electrostatic amps are balanced by design. But no one should attempt to re-cable any electrostatic headphone.

Most electrostatic amps accept balanced XLR input, so XLR interconnects can be used to couple them from a balanced digital source. A single XLR interconnect by itself will carry only L or R, hence the need for pairs. (Much like RCA interconnects.) Any standard 3-pin XLR interconnects can be used with the balanced input on the BHSE or any other electrostatic amp.

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #43 of 45
Yeah I already knew the RP1000 wouldn't work for the SR-009 so it looks like I might as well get rid of it. It's just nice to know the SR-009 is balanced and so I don't need to worry about having 2 cables going into the amplifier, at least from the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back