[NEWS / DISCUSSION / IMPRESSION] Phonak Audéo PFE232
Jun 9, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #916 of 1,082
Quote:
Hello

I am considering buying a pfe 232. But I need an information about the volume level. I had w4 before, sometimes I had to turn the volume max in order to reach to my listening level (i have a hearing disability) If I get an pfe, will I have difficulty about volume level? Btw I have hm601 Sansa clip and iPod 5.5.. Thank you for your consideration.

To volume match with my W4R, I need to drive the PFE232 more.  So you may have a little difficulty unfrotunately :frowning2:  Sorry. 

Jun 20, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #919 of 1,082
Was hoping someone could advise, Ii've had a pair of PFE 232 for 9 months now and the time has come to replace the foam tips. I know I can reorder them direct from phonak audeo but was hoping if there any other companies /brands I sould be aware offer that I should know of. What I have found with the standard box issed foam tips is they relatively expensive for the return you get from them. They dont last long (2 months max) and after a month or so the fit is a lot looser which comprises the sound - especially the bass. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Jun 23, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #921 of 1,082
Quote:
Was hoping someone could advise, Ii've had a pair of PFE 232 for 9 months now and the time has come to replace the foam tips. I know I can reorder them direct from phonak audeo but was hoping if there any other companies /brands I sould be aware offer that I should know of. What I have found with the standard box issed foam tips is they relatively expensive for the return you get from them. They dont last long (2 months max) and after a month or so the fit is a lot looser which comprises the sound - especially the bass. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

The stock tips are comply tips.  T-130.  Buying them from comply is cheaper than from adueo.  Especially when they have sales.

Jun 23, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #923 of 1,082
thanks.

Like the foams tips, do the grey, black and green filters wear out and need to be replaced?
Supposedly, yes, but audeo claims they last 9 months or so. But i think it is based a lot on how clean they stay. Whether you get ear wax or debris in them, etc.

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #924 of 1,082
Hey,

So I just ordered a pair of PFE 232's from Earphone Solutions the other day. I'm thinking about building up a portable rig, and I was wondering what sort of amplifiers you guys were pairing your 232's with. My source is a 4th gen iPod Touch. Looking to get something under $100, maybe a Fiio E11, also looking into a Fiio E12 or a Digizoid ZO 2.3. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

Jul 13, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #925 of 1,082
Hey,

So I just ordered a pair of PFE 232's from Earphone Solutions the other day. I'm thinking about building up a portable rig, and I was wondering what sort of amplifiers you guys were pairing your 232's with. My source is a 4th gen iPod Touch. Looking to get something under $100, maybe a Fiio E11, also looking into a Fiio E12 or a Digizoid ZO 2.3. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

curently touch 4& arrow 4g help to make more weight and bunchiness to the bass, more extensive but still sparkle treble of the 232.

but 232's mid seem thin and cold for my taste and the amp arrow 4g can't help me with it. but you will really love bass and treble which 4g bring to the new level here.

Jul 13, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #926 of 1,082
Quote:
curently touch 4& arrow 4g help to make more weight and bunchiness to the bass, more extensive but still sparkle treble of the 232.

but 232's mid seem thin and cold for my taste and the amp arrow 4g can't help me with it. but you will really love bass and treble which 4g bring to the new level here.

Similar experience here, but a bit more favorable.  On the PFE 232, I find them v-shaped, so the midrange is disappointing with some equipment.  Also, some amps and sources can emphasize or introduce sibilance. 

Fortunately, I use the Arrow 4G, with its adjustments.  Not that the tone controls help... they don't.  Wrong direction.  But... the "0" gain setting has a bit fuller midrange and gentler treble, compared with the other gain settings (at least paired with the 232). So, the midrange seems relatively flat and realistic.  The bass on this setting is a bit overdone.  But OK with most sources.  

In any case, as with any amp that has analog gain adjustments, try them (and compensate the volume) to listen for subtle changes in bass control, treble purity and emphasis, sibilance, and overall tonal balance. It is sometimes subtle, sometimes not... enough to make or break the combination. 

Also, as I've harped on... :wink:  The foam tips reduce treble excess and distortion considerably, at least in my ear-canal geometry.  

Jul 13, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #927 of 1,082
BTW, I don't use the 232's much, but after a year or more, I have yet to clean the filters.  I do clean ear wax bits before then can reach the filters.  And I would definitely clean them prior to replacing them.  I also replace the foam tips when they start to weaken, before they start to flake into the filters.  

Plus, being a spares pack rat, I have more filters than I am likely to use in my limited lifetime. 

I'm gonna have a lot of parts and equipment to sell soon if I can get organized. If not, I'll ask my beneficiary to put them into a donation shipment to Jude... :wink:

Jul 13, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #928 of 1,082
I love this pfes so much, i also use it with my iphone4/ipod video 5,5 with the arrow 4g and i found my lover now

Jul 13, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #929 of 1,082
Quote:
BTW, I don't use the 232's much, but after a year or more, I have yet to clean the filters.  I do clean ear wax bits before then can reach the filters.  And I would definitely clean them prior to replacing them.  I also replace the foam tips when they start to weaken, before they start to flake into the filters.  

Plus, being a spares pack rat, I have more filters than I am likely to use in my limited lifetime. 

I'm gonna have a lot of parts and equipment to sell soon if I can get organized. If not, I'll ask my beneficiary to put them into a donation shipment to Jude... :wink:

Have any affordable grey filters? :)

Jul 13, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #930 of 1,082
Quote:
Hey,

Thanks!

As the arrow is much more expensive I'd like to point you to the jds labs C5.  It is more than $100 but about half the price of the arrow.  And it is extremely reference quality for a portable amp.  I use it with the 232 and it's the best they've sounded.  It doesn't make them have any more treble, but it opens up the treble "details" by revealing more space between instruments and such.  highly recommend it.  The e11 is kinda crappy because you can't use it while it's charging from what I understand.  If that's important to you (i use my c5 charging sometimes).  The zo is the lowest quality of the bunch.  While it isn't "bad", it fluctuates the entire frequency spectrum if you use any bass boost settings other than none. :p  Some people like what it does, but the 232, although V shaped, is very smooth throughout the frequency spectrum.  The zo would add unevenness to the sound.  Good or bad would be the opinion of the listener, but definitely less "accurate".

I'd go for an e12 if price is absolutely critical.  But I recommend going up a step to the more reference jds c5.  It has a slightly more consistent frequency response and specs are excellent on the C5.  Channel imbalance is 0, volume steps are minute, bass boost is theater like (i wouldn't use it for the 232 personally), custom cases can be engraved, etc. etc.

Just my two cents. :) John at jds is awesome too.  Really top notch customer service straight from them.  Literally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back