[NEWS / DISCUSSION / IMPRESSION] Phonak Audéo PFE232
Aug 2, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #781 of 1,082
Got the Phonak 232 yesterday from hifi headphones here in the uk, cost £400 but did get a free pair of PFE 022 which hopefully I can sell to recoup some of the cost.

Thought its not a bad package really, bit light on tips but the extra cable is a bit of a bonus.

Sound wise these have blown me away so far.  The whole spectrum of sound is amazing to my ears.  Did a quick a/b to my W4 and so far I think I prefer the overall sound from the 232's.  I think although the bass is not as prominent as the W4 it has more detail.  The mids sound similar but the 232's really shine on the highs, fast, fluid and precise without being shrill.

Going to do a bit more of a write up next week comparing them to the W4, Ie8 and the Minerva Mi-3 customs.  Just waiting for my Mi-3 to come back from Minerva as they had a cable problem so having a reshell done on them.

Sep 2, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #782 of 1,082
Any comparison with custom like Miracle, Mage, Merlin or 1964?

I have a Westone 4R, but something is missing.

Maybe I try a custom, but I prefer the universal.

Sep 2, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #783 of 1,082
Any comparison with custom like Miracle, Mage, Merlin or 1964?
I have a Westone 4R, but something is missing.
Maybe I try a custom, but I prefer the universal.

Can't compare to the customs you mention but can compare the W4.
I've had the pfe232's for a month now and have been comparing them to the W4, the W4 are now up for sale. To my ears the 232's give me better overall sound, the highs are so lush, the bass is deep and full of detail. The mids are on a similar par to the W4.
There isn't much in it to be honest but the 232's just excite me a tad more than the Westones, the W4 seem to have a slightly bigger soundstage but for me don't quite match the Phonaks elsewhere.

Oct 14, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #787 of 1,082
After reading all 52 pages I've going to buy the 232 tomorrow!!!
Very excited

Since you made it through 52 pages....I suggest you look at these 31 pages as well before making a final decision.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/418044/phonak-audeo-defect-thread

Oct 14, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #788 of 1,082
Quote:
Since you made it through 52 pages....I suggest you look at these 31 pages as well before making a final decision.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/418044/phonak-audeo-defect-thread

Wrong product my friend...  That thread is specifically talking about the first batch of the Phonak PFE 112s.  Nothing else.  If I'm not mistaken, none of the first batch of the 112 is in the public any longer. 

Oct 31, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #793 of 1,082
Hi guys,

I worked out a deal with a vendor and purchased the W4 and the 232 to A/B them and will send one back. Now I just got them today...and he's giving me 30 days with no restocking fee and 10% off because of being a Head-fi member. Pretty cool. I have to say my initial impressions are...WOW...I have TF10's and UM3x's that I had reshelled by inEarz (which I'm going to be selling on here), and now I'm comparing these two heavyweights.

Talk about a rough decision. The 232 simply sounds better. The W4 is no slacker...but the perfection of the 232 is uncanny. I agree that the soundstage in the W4 is bigger, but that doesn't necessarily mean better. It's an awesome sounding IEM. But I think the 232 is just in a class by itself.

The thing I'm really worried about is the cable on the 232. First, this connector (as far as I'm told) can not be had, there is no "upgrade cable" out there. It simply feels like the weakest link on these amazing little buds. I'm worried about snagging it and it not being able to handle regular daily use. My question to you guys is...how has your cable been holding up? Is there a reason to be concerned about it's longevity? Can you purchase a new cable from Audeo if...god forbid...something DOES happen?

The W4's do sound amazing also...AND I have quite a few backup cables...including two custom cables I had made that have iPod controls. So..if I go with the W4...I'll never have to worry about the cables...LOL...but I'd be sacrificing some SQ. $600 bucks is a lot for such a fragile feeling albeit amazing sounding earbud. I certainly don't want to get on a NYC subway and have it snag and pop the plug...

Do any of you guys have any input or advice...even with auditioning the two?

Thanks!

Steve from NYC

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #794 of 1,082
Quote:
Hi guys,

I worked out a deal with a vendor and purchased the W4 and the 232 to A/B them and will send one back. Now I just got them today...and he's giving me 30 days with no restocking fee and 10% off because of being a Head-fi member. Pretty cool. I have to say my initial impressions are...WOW...I have TF10's and UM3x's that I had reshelled by inEarz (which I'm going to be selling on here), and now I'm comparing these two heavyweights.

Talk about a rough decision. The 232 simply sounds better. The W4 is no slacker...but the perfection of the 232 is uncanny. I agree that the soundstage in the W4 is bigger, but that doesn't necessarily mean better. It's an awesome sounding IEM. But I think the 232 is just in a class by itself.

The thing I'm really worried about is the cable on the 232. First, this connector (as far as I'm told) can not be had, there is no "upgrade cable" out there. It simply feels like the weakest link on these amazing little buds. I'm worried about snagging it and it not being able to handle regular daily use. My question to you guys is...how has your cable been holding up? Is there a reason to be concerned about it's longevity? Can you purchase a new cable from Audeo if...god forbid...something DOES happen?

The W4's do sound amazing also...AND I have quite a few backup cables...including two custom cables I had made that have iPod controls. So..if I go with the W4...I'll never have to worry about the cables...LOL...but I'd be sacrificing some SQ. $600 bucks is a lot for such a fragile feeling albeit amazing sounding earbud. I certainly don't want to get on a NYC subway and have it snag and pop the plug...

Do any of you guys have any input or advice...even with auditioning the two?

Thanks!

Steve from NYC

I've heard no mention of purchasing a new cable.  They will replace the cable (under the 2 year warranty I believe), if it does break at no cost (so long as you have warranty).  We've had 2 cases on Head-Fi of the cable going bad.  Both times, it was in the same area, but with different cables (I had a problem with the mic'd and another member had a problem with the un-mic'd).  Both cases (from what I'm aware of) happened within the first two months of use.  I've had my (replacement) 232s for about half a year now, and it's running strong.

I believe that those two incidents were isolated (by chance), not really a big problem (you're bound to eventually find a sour lemon).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back