[NEWS / DISCUSSION / IMPRESSION] Phonak Audéo PFE232
Apr 26, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #723 of 1,082
I just posted a 'short story' of a very recent audiophile journey that involves the PFE 232s here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/607383/shure-se535-vs-phonak-pfe-232-alo-rx-mk-3-clas-vs-fostex-hp-p1-and-ibasso-dx-100
Owners and potential owners of the PFE 232 might find it interesting...

Apr 27, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #725 of 1,082
Unhappy. 232's amplify subtle ambient noise that my callers complain about. They are relieved when I disconnect the headphone and talk directly into the phone. That kills it for me. I was really liking the sound.

Apr 27, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #727 of 1,082

Quote:
I can bet you that the mic won't work with android...
tape mod, here we come.

Do not forget that there's also the audio-only cable :wink:
No tape mod this time
tongue.gif

Apr 29, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #729 of 1,082
Alright, I've just purchased these from earphonesolutions. Had to sacrifice my D7000 for it. These better be good!
tongue.gif

Back to the IEM world for me which I once thought I was done with once it for all... all thanks to the PFE's as they're the only ones I can tolerate inside my ears comfortably for long periods of time...

Apr 29, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #731 of 1,082

Quote:
Back to the IEM world for me which I once thought I was done with once it for all... all thanks to the PFE's as they're the only ones I can tolerate inside my ears comfortably for long periods of time...

I hated the previous IEM I owned because of comfort issues - they were too invasive. Never thought I'd pick up another pair, until the 232s. They are truly weightless.

Apr 29, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #732 of 1,082

Quote:

I hated the previous IEM I owned because of comfort issues - they were too invasive. Never thought I'd pick up another pair, until the 232s. They are truly weightless.

The 232s are weightless :p 

Apr 30, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #733 of 1,082
232's in....i'm very impressed.
I have to say, whoever (can't remember who it was) that told me the 232's have a better bass impact than the 112's was 100% right.
For once I'm satisfied with the bass coming out of a BA...this is for me guys, a first - of course it doesn't come close to the mg7's and the cks77's...but still, it's very lean and clean - i like it.
The clarity of the music, and the precision is unbelievably accurate.

To add to the cake, here was the cherry:
PFE thought about the audience.
We aren't all iPod users. We don't all eat Apples for breakfast.
So they added a second cable, that isn't mic'ed up.

There I was thinking: Tape mod
Little did I know about that second cable, I can't remember reading it anywhere. More like not understanding/overlooking what another member said lol 
tongue.gif

Good job Phonak Audéo, good job.

EDIT:
Filters do exactly what the booklet say.

-I found the grey ones to be the most sibilant and accurate
-Green ones to be very much bassier
-Black ones to be in the middle

I was in-between black and green - currently on green, as it responds better to bass via the ZO2.
Was a little strange that the green ones needed to be driven more, much more, than the other 2.
I'll play around with which I'll settle with :D

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #734 of 1,082

Quote:
232's in....i'm very impressed.
I have to say, whoever (can't remember who it was) that told me the 232's have a better bass impact than the 112's was 100% right.
For once I'm satisfied with the bass coming out of a BA...this is for me guys, a first - of course it doesn't come close to the mg7's and the cks77's...but still, it's very lean and clean - i like it.
The clarity of the music, and the precision is unbelievably accurate.

To add to the cake, here was the cherry:
PFE thought about the audience.
We aren't all iPod users. We don't all eat Apples for breakfast.
So they added a second cable, that isn't mic'ed up.

There I was thinking: Tape mod
Little did I know about that second cable, I can't remember reading it anywhere.

Good job Phonak Audéo, good job.

EDIT:
Filters do exactly what the booklet say.

-I found the grey ones to be the most sibilant and accurate
-Green ones to be very much bassier
-Black ones to be in the middle

I was in-between black and green - currently on green, as it responds better to bass via the ZO2.
Was a little strange that the green ones needed to be driven more, much more, than the other 2.
I'll play around with which I'll settle with :D

I think there was another member that mentioned the second cable after you said you were getting a pair.  If I remember correctly, he said something along the lines that you would not need a tape mod.  I also mentioned the second cable in my review as well in the In The Box Section (what's included) along with the Value section as it was talked about briefly.

Regarding the filters and the fact that the green one was harder to drive...  This is normal.  Think about what a filter does, it filters out sound by reducing it.  Essentially, the filter stops some sound from penetrating by slowing it down.  A filter rarely add to a certain frequency, instead, it'll take from given frequencies by slowing them down.  So think of it this way.  Think of the filters as barriers.  There is on barrier for grey, two for black, and three for green.  Now think of a speeding car as your sound.  The car may have no problem going through the first filter...  It may have a slightly harder problem going through two (it'll still be harder than one)...  It might be able to get through three, but by the time it does, it'll be slowed down a lot.  All a filter really does is add resistance to sound.  Since this resistance isn't linear with the frequency response, it is able to shape sound differently.

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #735 of 1,082

Quote:
I think there was another member that mentioned the second cable after you said you were getting a pair.  If I remember correctly, he said something along the lines that you would not need a tape mod.  I also mentioned the second cable in my review as well in the In The Box Section (what's included) along with the Value section as it was talked about briefly.

Regarding the filters and the fact that the green one was harder to drive...  This is normal.  Think about what a filter does, it filters out sound by reducing it.  Essentially, the filter stops some sound from penetrating by slowing it down.  A filter rarely add to a certain frequency, instead, it'll take from given frequencies by slowing them down.  So think of it this way.  Think of the filters as barriers.  There is on barrier for grey, two for black, and three for green.  Now think of a speeding car as your sound.  The car may have no problem going through the first filter...  It may have a slightly harder problem going through two (it'll still be harder than one)...  It might be able to get through three, but by the time it does, it'll be slowed down a lot.  All a filter really does is add resistance to sound.  Since this resistance isn't linear with the frequency response, it is able to shape sound differently.

thanks for the explanation - although I kind of guessed that myself :p

And yeah the tape mod..i must have misunderstood the comment lol - check above - i must have overlooked it :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back