[NEWS / DISCUSSION / IMPRESSION] Phonak Audéo PFE232
Aug 22, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #166 of 1,082
Wow. I have been out of the Head-Fi loop for a while, so these PFE232s are news to me.

Both my PFE112s and TF10s have been doing me well for over a year; I believe this speaks wonders for their respective build quality.

The PFEs continue to be the most comfortable IEMs I've ever worn, but they are not quite perfect in the sound department; the TF10s definitely trump them in this respect. Conversely, the TF10s are the most UNcomfortable IEMs I've ever worn. So, now that I learn that Phonak have come out with a high-end model, I am very interested.

That said, the 399 GBP price tag (about $650.00) is insane for a brand that really has not established itself, especially in North America. They simply don't have the same mindshare as say Shure, Beats, etc. Also, given that their other model retails for only $150, they have a massive $500 gap in their lineup.

The reviews will have to be unequivocally and unanimously impressive for me to even consider an IEM costing over $500!

Sep 22, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #168 of 1,082
Any updates?

Or is Phonak delaying the release for another 6 months so we have time to come to terms with the price :rolleyes:

Sep 22, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #169 of 1,082
No, I just received confirmation directly from Phonak PR a few days ago that the release is scheduled on early October.

Sep 22, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #170 of 1,082
No, I just received confirmation directly from Phonak PR a few days ago that the release is scheduled on early October.

Thanks for the info!

Oct 8, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #172 of 1,082
That's pretty close to the early price I have projected a few months back. Well, at least it is released on schedule.

Oct 8, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #173 of 1,082
They'll probably be available through retail outlets for $550ish. If you check the web price vs shop price of their other models, there's over a 10% difference. Will be interesting to see if they keep the $20 differential or if they offer a similar %. I was certainly mistaken about the $500 though. I know the US leg wanted it but so be it. I hope they're worth it. Would be nice to have another contender.
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 8, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #174 of 1,082
I've always believed that a well tuned dual armatures are enough to cover the entire spectrum with ease.

But then again, for a dual BA to cost more then the Quad BA of the Westone's are pushing it.....
Just like the MDR EX-1000s, I'll hope the pricing flattens out at about 300-350, in which they should be a top tier contender. 599 is just lol. They'll cost 1000 in AUS

Oct 8, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #176 of 1,082
PFE 112 is nothing "full range"! It lacks subbass and treble extension. I doubt two drivers will be enough.

I love my W4, but the PFE 232 still has a few feats in which I'm very interested:
- open design: sometimes I don't want -26db isolation and I can imagine it helps with the soundstage
- I don't know of any IEMs made out of plastic that have good timbre. I expect the PFE to have a better timbre.
- headset: while my JVC covers both points above that the W4 lacks, I still don't have a headset yet. I wanted to get the CC51P but I hardly imagine it can impress me so I rather invest the money in the PFE.

I did not like the PFE 112 because it was bright, thin and hollow sounding, but I'm definitely interested in the new one!

Oct 8, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #177 of 1,082

Quote:
Considering that the 112 is quite full range, another driver should easily be enough for Phonak to tailor and refine as much as they desire. Wll be interesting.

Agreed.

Oct 8, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #178 of 1,082
etymotic has already proved sound refinement excellence with their ER-4s single armature driver for more than 10 years already meaning that only one driver is needed and tuning the driver is the most important factor. Etymotic would have come out with their 2 or 3 or even quad drivers ear monitors if it was for the sound quality
but to them only one is needed to to achieve the major sound criteria. more than one armature doesnt really means that it is going sound better. most of the time more drivers equals more cost. i think phonak just got ready for christmas $599 more costly than some of the customs monitors

Oct 8, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #179 of 1,082
PFE 112 is nothing "full range"! It lacks subbass and treble extension. I doubt two drivers will be enough.
I love my W4, but the PFE 232 still has a few feats in which I'm very interested:
- open design: sometimes I don't want -26db isolation and I can imagine it helps with the soundstage
- I don't know of any IEMs made out of plastic that have good timbre. I expect the PFE to have a better timbre.
- headset: while my JVC covers both points above that the W4 lacks, I still don't have a headset yet. I wanted to get the CC51P but I hardly imagine it can impress me so I rather invest the money in the PFE.
I did not like the PFE 112 because it was bright, thin and hollow sounding, but I'm definitely interested in the new one!

PFE is decently full ranged. It does lack subbass, but treble extension leave a lot of dynamics to shame. For closed BAs, the use of plastic on the housing doesn't make a different at all. Most of the acoustics will occur inside the chamber which are usually made of an alloy. I hope more and more IEMs adapt a headset as smartphones are becoming the DAPs of choice. 

Oct 8, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #180 of 1,082
I like Etymotics but they haven't done any more with a high efficiency single driver than Phonak has. 4s is iffy without an amp, 4p too crispy on top, hf5 a bit rounded but on a par with the phonak depending on preference. The gray pfe is a hair dry but has slightly more bottom than either 4p or hf and about the same top extension. It also has about the same amplitude in the low bass as it does in the mids. It doesn't have excessive low bass that many think an asset. That's fine too but it can play low notes just fine with it's vented driver.

None of these single driver units are quite as refined on top as the best dedicated tweeter designs though that's often moot with most portable sources. What you can do with 2 drivers is add a more natural color to the presentation without a technical loss. Of course you can screw it up too but I wouldn't expect that of Phonak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back