[NEWS / DISCUSSION / IMPRESSION] Phonak Audéo PFE232
Feb 24, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #979 of 1,082
Do these absolutely need an amp? I'd like to run them out of my android phone and nothing else. Its an LG G2 if it matters. 

No. I use them with iPhone5 and the sound is good enough to me. I have plug it into different amps, some of them really expensive, like +£1000. For some amps, there were indeed improvement, but not very big one. For some amps, it sounded weird, not impressive at all. So I guess I will stick with my iPhone5. I don't have a LG G2. Can't help you with that.

PS. Personally, I think pfe232 sounds more nature without any filter on.

Feb 24, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #980 of 1,082
  Do these absolutely need an amp? I'd like to run them out of my android phone and nothing else. Its an LG G2 if it matters. 

These do not require an amp and phones should be more than enough to power the PFE232...  That said, power is not an issue.  I'm not sure how good the internal DAC/AMP is in the G2 though. 

Jul 29, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #986 of 1,082
Is the 232 worth upgrading from the 132? I'm sure this question has been asked before. I apologize, I've looked a few times and didn't quite find anything convincing

The PFE232 offers a distinctly different signature in contrast to the PFE132.  The 232 employs a signature that is closer to that of a v-shape with bass that has a slight boom to it and textures in an almost euphoric manner.  Midrange is smooth with a good strength in vocals.  Though the signature takes quite a bit of edge away from the midrange and detailing.  The highs are quite linear, but at an elevated level.  They are soft in texturing, but if you're sensitive to highs, the 232 is not the direction to go.  

Jul 29, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #987 of 1,082
Interesting. I would have never thought Phonak would have considered a V shaped sound signature, let alone in a flagship earphone. not that its a bad thing, I just had them pegged as a more neutral house sound. I really enjoy the sound of the 132, i guess i was hoping to hear that the 232 was just a direct upgrade to that signature, but things are never that easy..lol.

I have every bit of confidence that the completely ROCKED the V-shape sig. Phonak are some awesome driver tuners. :) *scratches head* I do like V shapes, but I also really like the 132....Dang it!

Jul 30, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #988 of 1,082
  Interesting. I would have never thought Phonak would have considered a V shaped sound signature, let alone in a flagship earphone. not that its a bad thing, I just had them pegged as a more neutral house sound. I really enjoy the sound of the 132, i guess i was hoping to hear that the 232 was just a direct upgrade to that signature, but things are never that easy..lol.

I have every bit of confidence that the completely ROCKED the V-shape sig. Phonak are some awesome driver tuners. :) *scratches head* I do like V shapes, but I also really like the 132....Dang it!

LOL...  Choices...  Choices :p  They're both great IEMs :p  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back