NEWS: Beats in a lawsuit with Yamaha
Feb 15, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #106 of 493
Quote:
 In light of the above, one could make the case that Yamaha purposely violated the patent as a sound business strategy. 

I've never thought of it from that perspective. Interesting idea.

Does anyone know exactly which patents Yamaha have allegedly violated? Curious to see exactly what angle beats are taking.

Feb 15, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #110 of 493
First of all the headphones are not exactly alike in materials, design specs, and looks.  Second, direct competition is a good thing and in most cases the people who buy either of these headphones had a choice to buy the other thus the decision was made not based on how it look rather than cost, sound, brand.  If you want a Beats product you make sure that is the one you buy.  How is buying a Yamaha product outing Beats?  Greed is just shameful sometimes and this is yet another example of it.

Sure Beats has a right to sue, but take a look.  Even if the designs were much closer in looks, the fact that Yamaha has their logo on it tells everyone buying it that it is Yamaha branded not Beats.  If Yamaha moves in on some of Beats' customers let the best headphone win.

Regarding the Fanny Wang case:
In Oct. 2011, Beats settled a design-patent case that it brought against Fanny Wang over that company’s headphones.
--
http://www.twice.com/articletype/news/beats-sues-yamaha-over-headphone-design-patents/104995

Feb 15, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #111 of 493
I feel that this discussion has been going on long before this lawsuit even started. I remember people in the SRH840 thread saying how the SRH240 looks like the Studios...2 years ago.

deadhorse.gif

Feb 15, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #112 of 493
Yamaha's sound beats (pun) the Beats hands down.  If we're going by sonic merits, Yamaha should win by default!  I auditioned the Pro 400 and 500s a week ago, and they DO look a lot like the Studios...all glossy and fingerprint prone.  Yamaha might lose this one...and it will be for the better.  Maybe they'll start making their cans look more like audio equipment and less like toys.

Feb 15, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #113 of 493
Quote:
Yamaha's sound beats (pun) the Beats hands down.  If we're going by sonic merits, Yamaha should win by default!  I auditioned the Pro 400 and 500s a week ago, and they DO look a lot like the Studios...all glossy and fingerprint prone.  Yamaha might lose this one...and it will be for the better.  Maybe they'll start making their cans look more like audio equipment and less like toys.

YES!

Feb 15, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #114 of 493
Quote:
I can understand where the lawsuit is coming from and frankly, the styling IS a rip-off.
but Copyrighting shapes is silly, all large over-ear headphones are going to have the same generic shape, 2 cans and a headband. yes beats are selling the look but trying to sue is almost as daft as say... apple trying to patent a rectangle with rounded corners.

Didnt Apple, in fact, try to sue Android or someone, for the shape of the wifi indicator too?

Lets see, round cups - check. Blingy logo on said cup - check. Round'ish shaped headband - check. Sound quality better - that's it, sue them...=P

Feb 16, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #118 of 493
Nothing is new in this world, that shape has surely been used before. Watch out if Apple launches some headphones, they're going to patent headphones with sound going to both ears. :)

Feb 16, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #120 of 493
While I'm personally disappointed with Yamaha's decision to adopt the same style as Beats, I really don't think that Dr. Dre has a chance in winning this. I mean, new money cans can't possibly hold a finger to a dynasty of motorcycles, audio products, musical instruments, and software. 

I mean, look at the Yamaha V-Max for christ sakes. A company that can make that kind of two-wheeled beast can't possibly lose to some crappy headphone peddler when the amount of R&D is worth more than Beats Audio could ever hope to make.

tl;dr, it's like a single ant picking a fight with a T-rex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back