NEWS: Apple acquires Beats for $3 Billion (Update: Full interview on recode.net)
May 28, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #151 of 303

There is a very high probability (no doubt)  that Apple will indeed make use the existing infrastructure and re-brand/re-develope Beats into their own. However Apple could have bought any other headphone manufacturer and do what you hypothesize. Why do they 'need' Beats? Marketing. If not for the headphones, for Dre and Iovine.  Apple could literally hire the best of the best from anywhere in the world who have the same skills and knowledge as those two. But will they be as 'cool' as Dre and Iovine? Me thinks not. But that's just my 2 cents. 
beerchug.gif

this is going to sound rude but it's truth... both apple and Beats are social statements, and both of them are... hugely popular with consumers. I think Apple plans to use the existing success that Beats had and take it to the next level,  we all remember how tacky some of us where in High School... well we can think of Beats time with Dr Dre as a "high School run" he got hugely popular but now that Beats is under Apples name... it's like when you went to College... what ever made you cool in High School... might have gotten replaced by what may now allow

Maturity, why build a new brand when you can enhance and mature an existing one, you know? Some one else has already done the ground work, now your purchase that base and build off of it. saves time and money 

Apple won't try to be "cool" with the Beats name, they are going to aim to mature the brand and hopefully get the consumers who bought into the "cool" factor of beats to mature with the brand they love, I think Apple Wants to ReBoot the beats name, take all of their previous customers and get some new ones 

May 28, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #152 of 303
  this is going to sound rude but it's truth... both apple and Beats are social statements, and both of them are... hugely popular with consumers. I think Apple plans to use the existing success that Beats had and take it to the next level,  we all remember how tacky some of us where in High School... well we can think of Beats time with Dr Dre as a "high School run" he got hugely popular but now that Beats is under Apples name... it's like when you went to College... what ever made you cool in High School... might have gotten replaced by what may now allow

Maturity, why build a new brand when you can enhance and mature an existing one, you know? Some one else has already done the ground work, now your purchase that base and build off of it. saves time and money 

Apple won't try to be "cool" with the Beats name, they are going to aim to mature the brand and hopefully get the consumers who bought into the "cool" factor of beats to mature with the brand they love, I think Apple Wants to ReBoot the beats name, take all of their previous customers and get some new ones 

Sounds like you're ready to get your wallet flogged. 
eek.gif

May 28, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #153 of 303
  Sounds like you're ready to get your wallet flogged. 
eek.gif

NOPE :3, I've never been an Apple fan and I have no intention of buying any more gear, I've found a nice stopping point for my portable and At home rigs, I don't do streaming because I live in an area where... theres a LOT of trees and celluarphones never have service lol, I would how ever LOVE to get a job in the industry so... my wallet can get flogged with dollar bills xD

but I'm good where I'm at with my headphones, I'm just waiting to see what the market does... but there's not really anything outside of the Hm901, and LCD X and XC that I desire to own... that and maybe an Audio GD REF 10.32, so for me for now... I'm either going to invest $5000 into new gear OR enjoy what I have [I'm leaning to enjoying what I have atm lol] 

May 28, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #154 of 303
So Apple, often a company that gets accused for being style over substance, goes out and buys the one brand that epitomizes everything they get accused for....

From a business standpoint, I'm sure there's some method to this madness. But from a branding standpoint, it's as tacky as a footballer's wife in a Range Rover.

May 29, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #155 of 303
  NOPE :3, I've never been an Apple fan and I have no intention of buying any more gear, I've found a nice stopping point for my portable and At home rigs, I don't do streaming because I live in an area where... theres a LOT of trees and celluarphones never have service lol, I would how ever LOVE to get a job in the industry so... my wallet can get flogged with dollar bills xD

but I'm good where I'm at with my headphones, I'm just waiting to see what the market does... but there's not really anything outside of the Hm901, and LCD X and XC that I desire to own... that and maybe an Audio GD REF 10.32, so for me for now... I'm either going to invest $5000 into new gear OR enjoy what I have [I'm leaning to enjoying what I have atm lol] 

So then, you have no intention of helping the ecomoney? I guess that we'll have to leave it to Forest Gump, he did invest in that fruit company. 
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #156 of 303
I heard about this from some hipster apple fan on facebook.  "Steve Jobs would have NEVER done this."  Gotta love the reactions.  

To be honest I don't think it will effect anyone on here very much other then beats maybe becoming a more hi fi.  The revenue that AKG and Sennheiser bring in is nothing compared to Apple and Beats.  They'll continue to make a ton of money and other audio brands will continue to make products for their much smaller and different audience.  

If Apple plans on turning Beats into something to compete with real high end cans I don't think everyone will suddenly become ultra concerned with sound quality.  Just my uneducated opinion :3

May 29, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #157 of 303
  I heard about this from some hipster apple fan on facebook.  "Steve Jobs would have NEVER done this."  Gotta love the reactions.  

To be honest I don't think it will effect anyone on here very much other then beats maybe becoming a more hi fi.  The revenue that AKG and Sennheiser bring in is nothing compared to Apple and Beats.  They'll continue to make a ton of money and other audio brands will continue to make products for their much smaller and different audience.  

If Apple plans on turning Beats into something to compete with real high end cans I don't think everyone will suddenly become ultra concerned with sound quality.  Just my uneducated opinion :3

well I think the market will grow, if only marginally. Yea not one is taking out bank loans to INCREASE PRODUCTION, but it'll be a nice little bonus... that and inbeforethehundredsofwhatsbetterthanmybeatsheadphones or thesedrappleheadphonesjustbrokenowwhat threads pop up... because we already have a ton of people wondering what's better than their third... busted pair of beats headphones... 

May 29, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #158 of 303
  Isn't $3B off the deep end for this? Their (Beats) Streaming service doesn't have all that many subscribers. As far as manufacturing and engineering, I'd say Apple is well established in these areas and if they wanted to design a headphone they could contract the work to an established headphone company for far less money and get better results. As far as a customer base, Apple is not wanting. This deal, if it goes through, may end up being a major blunder.

The iDevices had zero users to start with. 
wink.gif

So Apple, often a company that gets accused for being style over substance, goes out and buys the one brand that epitomizes everything they get accused for....

From a business standpoint, I'm sure there's some method to this madness. But from a branding standpoint, it's as tacky as a footballer's wife in a Range Rover.

At the start, with Monster making their headphones, most definitely. I don't see many people knocking their current line-up as badly as back then.

No, he probably wouldn't have done this either. But he also told everyone not to keep asking what he would have done or wouldn't have done. Though they have created and re-defined multiple markets, something no business has ever done in history, they have to keep evolving or they'll end up where Blackberry did when they didn't see the iPhone as a threat. I think they have to stay in the forefront as a deliverer of content, not just a conduit for content, otherwise it becomes too easy for people to switch to someone else's products.

I do get the feeling that, to a degree, they are buying a brand, but strategically it's clever, more so because I don't doubt they've got something planned they've been working on for years. You guys know there is a keynote coming up shortly? 
eek.gif

May 29, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #159 of 303
I do get the feeling that, to a degree, they are buying a brand, but strategically it's clever, more so because I don't doubt they've got something planned they've been working on for years. You guys know there is a keynote coming up shortly? :eek:

I still don't get the whole "buying the brand" thing. As much as their respective PR departments spin it, the two companies seem to be very different in terms of identity. One is famous for sleekness and Dieter Rams inspired design cues, while the other uses brash colours and celebrity endorsment deals to make a branding statement.

I do know about the upcoming keynote. It's rumored that Apple will announce something to do with "smart home" technology, or the "internet of things" as all the tech journalists call it. Seems plausible, given that most of the tech giants are moving in that direction (as are the hackers - botnet army, baby!!). Looking forward to that, as cautious as I am about the security and privacy risks.

May 29, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #160 of 303
Buying the brand is mostly a means of updating image. Especially now, in a time where more and more people are moving to Apple's competition, a move such as this is viewed as a good thing from a brand standpoint.

May 29, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #161 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD 

Isn't $3B off the deep end for this? Their (Beats) Streaming service doesn't have all that many subscribers. As far as manufacturing and engineering, I'd say Apple is well established in these areas and if they wanted to design a headphone they could contract the work to an established headphone company for far less money and get better results. As far as a customer base, Apple is not wanting. This deal, if it goes through, may end up being a major blunder.

The iDevices had zero users to start with. 
wink.gif

They've grown since then 
biggrin.gif
 a whole lot. Today's another story. Apple already has relationships with musical content providers for sales via iTunes. The brand is so well established that I don't think that they need Dre and company's name to attract or forge any business deals or alliances. Articles that I've read indicate that Beats' music streaming service has not been very sucessful at picking up subscribers. So will we ever see a picture of you headbanging while wearing a set of Beats? 
popcorn.gif

May 29, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #162 of 303
Why are Beats even discussed here.

They have nothing to do with headphones or music appreciation. Just tacky over priced fashion accessories for guillable wannabe gangstas, drug dealers or PL footballers who follow fashion like sheep and have zero individuality. They're the headphone equivalent of a blacked out Range Rover Sport on 22" chrome alloys.

Whenever I go to London I am amazed to see idiots on buses wearing these over a beanie with the hat actually pulled over their ears, Beats actually worn over the material ! Presumably this tactic increases the bass response as well as being a really cool look. I would have laughed but there's always the chance of being stabbed. Nothing sums up better for me what Beats are all about.

Whatever you say about Apple (i have 2 ipod classics, nothing better out there imo) they make beautifully deigned functional products that work almost indefinitely. They are the complete opposite of Beats which serve no function and are hideously designed rubbish.

Anyway sorry, enough of my rant. as you may have gathered  I am not a fan and haven't a clue what Apple are thinking, if they actually value their brand.

May 29, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #164 of 303
Not sure if anybody has said this, but the acquisition has nothing to do with headphones and everything to do with Beats streaming service.  i.e. the pay to download a track model is going the way of the Dodo with on demand streaming services like Spotify growing market share, Apple NEEDS to get in on the act asap.

May 29, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #165 of 303
  Not sure if anybody has said this, but the acquisition has nothing to do with headphones and everything to do with Beats streaming service.  i.e. the pay to download a track model is going the way of the Dodo with on demand streaming services like Spotify growing market share, Apple NEEDS to get in on the act asap.

Maybe ,but in my opinion to even be associated with the name 'Beats' devalues the brand. Surely they don't need Beats to get in to the streaming market, they have Itunes already which is quite well known.
This is coming from an old git someone who still buys CDs of course and isn't an expert (I do occasionally use Spotify and Tunein radio though)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back