Newly Released Sennheiser CX Series Earphones: In particular, the CX 3.00 and CX 5.00G
Nov 21, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #16 of 75
Thanks for the review. However, in the video you talk about an annotation, which you have to click, to show another video in which you made a modification to the CX 3.00 which affects the sound. But your video does not have any annotations. So I cannot watch this second video.

Nov 21, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #17 of 75
  Thanks for the review. However, in the video you talk about an annotation, which you have to click, to show another video in which you made a modification to the CX 3.00 which affects the sound. But your video does not have any annotations. So I cannot watch this second video.

no problem. i'm actually uploading it as i type this post now.

I'll be sure to link you and the update the thread once its up!

Thanks for your patience and your reply

Nov 21, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #18 of 75
just updated! my review/tutorials for the Sennheiser CX 3.00/5.00G are up!

here is the link:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/736937/newly-released-sennheiser-cx-series-earphones-in-particular-the-cx-3-00-and-cx-5-00g#post_10929725

Nov 21, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #19 of 75
Just got mine today as well. Thanks to Rosmadi!

Tried out the CX3.00 for a little bit. Agree with Tom22 about the comfort part. Small, nice tube angle, easy as pie fit. Cool look with the cable slider that matches the housing accents.

Nov 24, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #20 of 75
  Just got mine today as well. Thanks to Rosmadi!

Tried out the CX3.00 for a little bit. Agree with Tom22 about the comfort part. Small, nice tube angle, easy as pie fit. Cool look with the cable slider that matches the housing accents.

thanks! they are super comfy. and i forget about them once their on! they definitely look nice =) 

here is my comparison video! click here:

Nov 28, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #21 of 75
I have run in the phones for a while and lived with them for a bit. Not a review but a few impressions...

I think that Senn have done themselves proud for a CX300 replacement with the CX3.00. It should do well for them.

The CX3.00 has nearly the perfect physical design. Small, very light, perfect angle of the sound tube, and short relief. You almost forget they are in. Very comfortable. Can be worn both up or down. You can even dial in a bit more or less seal with a little bit of twisting when worn down. CX5.00G is a slightly longer housing but with larger arms coming off of it is a fairly shallow fit. Not really necessary but probably just to differentiate from the MIE design. The arms are easy to grasp for insertion and removal but don't give the ease of fit or comfort of the CX3.00 design.

The cable on the new CX phones is a mixed bag. Nice look and feel and the oval design does both feel good on the fingers and prevent tangles nicely. The downside is the material used for the sheathing. Kinks from being wrapped around the case insert remain on both my CX3.00 and 5.00G. This sheathing also doesn't like cold weather and stiffens outside in lower temps. Worse for the CX5.00 with their longer stems which help to start unseat them if you turn your head as the cable really doesn't want to flex any more.

Not perfect though. The CX3.00 is a bit consumer sounding which is probably tuned the way they want. A bit thick and bassy. Teamed with a lean source, the right tips, etc. they are quite capable though. I do recommend a loose fit as well to both give a quick fit and lessens some thickness. Striving to get absolute best seal is best for those who want the biggest bass and meatiest sound.

In stock form the CX5.00G is a better sounding version of the CX3.00. A bit deeper sounding with the housing and a bit tighter and cleaner. Both are warm and bassy, slightly bass tilted sound that sloped down towards the treble. Rich and weighty sound that is forgiving and pleasing.

With the most Head-fi tweaking to get them to sound the best for me(CX3.00 allows this best due to more fit adjust-ability ), this driver is quite capable. More so that the previous one in the CX985 and others. I hear better mid-range and less sharpness and peaks in the treble. Can be fairly large sounding with good 3D sound. Pretty quick and aggressive with good energy and dynamics. High fun factor and engaging sound is there. Haven't heard this quality and likable vocals yet from a CX. I do like them best when the warm blanket is removed to reveal the most ability otherwise they are good and likable but more consumer sounding then I like. The recipe I like is lighter, brighter for everything else in the chain plus the CX's equals the best result.

Nov 28, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #22 of 75
  I have run in the phones for a while and lived with them for a bit. Not a review but a few impressions...

I think that Senn have done themselves proud for a CX300 replacement with the CX3.00. It should do well for them.

The CX3.00 has nearly the perfect physical design. Small, very light, perfect angle of the sound tube, and short relief. You almost forget they are in. Very comfortable. Can be worn both up or down. You can even dial in a bit more or less seal with a little bit of twisting when worn down. CX5.00G is a slightly longer housing but with larger arms coming off of it is a fairly shallow fit. Not really necessary but probably just to differentiate from the MIE design. The arms are easy to grasp for insertion and removal but don't give the ease of fit or comfort of the CX3.00 design.

The cable on the new CX phones is a mixed bag. Nice look and feel and the oval design does both feel good on the fingers and prevent tangles nicely. The downside is the material used for the sheathing. Kinks from being wrapped around the case insert remain on both my CX3.00 and 5.00G. This sheathing also doesn't like cold weather and stiffens outside in lower temps. Worse for the CX5.00 with their longer stems which help to start unseat them if you turn your head as the cable really doesn't want to flex any more.

Not perfect though. The CX3.00 is a bit consumer sounding which is probably tuned the way they want. A bit thick and bassy. Teamed with a lean source, the right tips, etc. they are quite capable though. I do recommend a loose fit as well to both give a quick fit and lessens some thickness. Striving to get absolute best seal is best for those who want the biggest bass and meatiest sound.

In stock form the CX5.00G is a better sounding version of the CX3.00. A bit deeper sounding with the housing and a bit tighter and cleaner. Both are warm and bassy, slightly bass tilted sound that sloped down towards the treble. Rich and weighty sound that is forgiving and pleasing.

With the most Head-fi tweaking to get them to sound the best for me(CX3.00 allows this best due to more fit adjust-ability ), this driver is quite capable. More so that the previous one in the CX985 and others. I hear better mid-range and less sharpness and peaks in the treble. Can be fairly large sounding with good 3D sound. Pretty quick and aggressive with good energy and dynamics. High fun factor and engaging sound is there. Haven't heard this quality and likable vocals yet from a CX. I do like them best when the warm blanket is removed to reveal the most ability otherwise they are good and likable but more consumer sounding then I like. The recipe I like is lighter, brighter for everything else in the chain plus the CX's equals the best result.

yes i agree wholeheartedly with the physical design. its small, comfortable, and good looking in general

i think the driver is capable, will have to play around with even more tips, ideally wide bore tips but the nozzle is fairly narrow so i'm gonna have to do some digging.

i think the sound is exactly what sennheiser was aiming for. their intended audience is the general public that likes meaty bass, with a very polite (i would dare say) rolled off sound that will not fatigue even at the loudest volume.

i lent them to my brother to listen to and he immediately jacked up the volume to 90% on his iphone 4. and A/bed them with my vsd3s ( the ear tips are probably not perfect for him)

but he liked the cx 3.00 much more, saying the vsd3s treble cracked and hurt. 

so that lead me to think that most consumer just use whatever eartips that are already installed whether they fit them or not. and with the way cx 3.00 they will deliver plenty of bass even if you have an improper seal.

this was only a 20 min thing so it probably isn't indicative of anything but something i noticed.

i'll do some more investigating

Nov 28, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #23 of 75

funny you mentioned that, that was something i forgot to cover in my review,

thats another reason i like the cx 3.00 more. the longer arms of the 5.00G as you stated are easy to take on and off. actually allows for an easy shallow fit, which many people will just tug the cable to take them off. (a loose fit if you will).

i see it all the time! but the cable on the cx earphones i think will be able to withstand those tugs

Dec 7, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #24 of 75

Just got back from a vacation and read your post. Thanks for your impressions, jant71! 

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Dec 11, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #26 of 75
  And what about younger brothers CX1.00?

i'm not too sure myself unfortunately! id be interested to see how they fare? 

would they be more bassier > the 3.00s?

i don't want to assume but it seems like the higher the # the less bass--> going more toward a more balanced sound signature. please anyone correct me if i'm wrong

Dec 11, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #28 of 75
  And how about instrumental separation and soundstage size in all models?:)

the cx 3.00 is has a more of an intimate soundstage. it has better depth than width

the cx 5.00G is a bit more natural and wider in its presentation because of the extra treble extension. not a huge difference but it is wider overall

Dec 11, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #29 of 75
  And what about younger brothers CX1.00?

The 1.00 and 2.00 are the 28Ohm driver and the 3.00 and 5.00 are the 18Ohm driver. So, we can only speculate on them and how they behave. Not correct to say they will all present the same way and just have less quality because they are not the same driver. I read the 28Ohm driver is more balanced but not even sure where that was and only one mention so it would hold no real worth. Eventually some will hear those and be able to compare them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back